Home Defense gone wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Defense gone wrong

Normally I'm all for the Castle Doctrine (doesn't apply in this case) and protecting ones home and belongings but this guy absolutely did the wrong thing.

Minnesota man who killed teens in break-in charged with murder

Minnesota man who killed teens in break-in charged with murder

By NBC News staff and wire services

A 64-year-old Minnesota man was charged Monday with murder for killing two teenagers who he said broke into his Little Falls home, shooting them in the head, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.

"If you're trying to shoot somebody and they laugh at you, you go again," Byron David Smith of Little Falls told investigators, according to a criminal complaint filed Monday.

Smith was charged with two counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of Haile Kifer, 18, and her cousin, Nicholas Schaeffel, 17, both of Little Falls. The teens were shot on Thanksgiving Day, but their deaths weren't reported until Friday.

In the complaint, Smith said he was in the basement of his remote home about 10 miles southwest of Little Falls when he heard a window breaking upstairs, followed by footsteps that eventually approached the basement stairwell. Fearful after several break-ins, according to the complaint, Smith said he fired when Schaeffel came into view from the waist down.

After the teen fell down the stairs, Smith said he shot him in the face as he lay on the floor.

"I want him dead," the complaint quoted Smith telling an investigator.

Smith said he dragged Schaeffel's body into his basement workshop, then sat back down on his chair, and after a few minutes Kifer began coming down the stairs. He said he shot her as soon as her hips appeared, and she fell down the steps.

Smith said he tried to shoot her again with his Mini 14 rifle, but that the gun jammed and Kifer laughed at him.

"Smith stated that it was not a very long laugh because she was already hurting," according to the complaint.

Smith said he then shot Kifer in the chest several times with a .22-caliber revolver, dragged her next to Schaeffel, and with her still gasping for air, fired a shot under her chin "up into the cranium."

"Smith described it as 'a good clean finishing shot,'" according to the compliant, but also that he acknowledged he had fired "more shots than (he) needed to."

The following day he asked a neighbor to recommend a good lawyer, according to the complaint. He later asked his neighbor to call the police.

A prosecutor called Smith's reaction "appalling."

"Mr. Smith intentionally killed two teenagers in his home in a matter that goes well beyond self-defense," Morrison County Attorney Brian Middendorf said after Smith appeared at Morrison County District Court on Monday morning. Bail was set at $2 million.

Minnesota law allows a homeowner to use deadly force on an intruder if a reasonable person would fear they're in danger of harm. Smith told investigators he was afraid the intruders might have a weapon.

Smith's actions "sound like an execution" rather than legitimate self-defense, said David Pecchia, executive director of the Minnesota Chiefs of Police Association. Pecchia said his statements to investigators suggest he had eliminated any threat to his safety by wounding the cousins.

Smith's brother, Bruce Smith, told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis that the incident was the eighth burglary at Byron Smith's home in recent years.

The only report the Morrison County sheriff's office has for a break-in at the home was for one on Oct. 27. It shows Byron Smith reported losing cash and gold coins worth $9,200, plus two guns worth $200 each, photo equipment worth more than $3,000 and a ring worth $300.

Schaeffel's sister, Crystal Schaeffel, told the Star Tribune that Kifer had broken into her home before. Little Falls police records show Crystal Schaeffel reported a theft Aug. 28, but the department said the report was not public because that investigation was continuing and because it named juveniles.

Tessa Ruth, an aunt of Schaeffel, attended Smith's hearing. She told the Star Tribune she wished the man had fired a warning shot or alerted the police instead of shooting the teens.

"It wasn't right for them to be there and, yes, he had a right to defend himself. But to execute them like that..."

A Facebook page was created to commemorate the teens.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Don't break into houses.

Comment

yea he fucked up by talking too much to the cops instead of getting a lawyer and waiting too long to call. also kind of fucked up the way he hurt them and then killed him.. but it's his house, his rules. i bet those kids won't do that again!

Comment

I was about to say he went overboard til I got to the part where someone had broken in before and stole all of his valubles. So after that, fuck'em! Seems to me that most of that stuff were things that he had saved for most of his life, I can see if it was me I might be just as pissed if they came back, I'd be looking for revenge too.
        Originally posted by Silverback
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Maybe a Tad on the drastic side, but burglary has its risks.

Comment

This might get as much attention as the case in Houston where the guy went next door and shot those two guys breaking into his neighbors house.

He did seem a little overboard IMHO but I kinda have the same view. In a state with a castle doctrine you have to be brave to break into a house. If I hear you at a window or door I rack the pump shotgun.(Go Away) If you get in without me knowing then I will shoot first most likely. Every story is different but they didn't go there to pass out cookies. Fuck em

Comment

That's bullshit, a mini 14 doesn't jam!

Comment

He totally fucked up, not calling the cops ASAP.
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

You break into houses, this is what happens. He was at fault, I can't imagine doing what he did. But, he would have a good chance at a temporary insanity plea given that he's been robbed before for a very large sum.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Ded

Comment

Play stupid games...He should've called the cops right away for sure. The last shot under the chin was a bit much, but I imagine I'd be a vengeful old man if I had been robbed before. All I can think of is Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.

Comment

Hot damn that chick is (was) bangable.
                        2012 GT500

Comment

Saw this on another board too, Ill say the same thing....

Dont go breaking in houses and you wont have to worry about pissed off homeowners putting a bullet in your ass. Pretty simple.

Comment

i was all happy till i saw the pictures. just really bad decisions by kids and the owner.
                            but stupid games = stupid prizes.
                            sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                            🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by soap View Post
                              i was all happy till i saw the pictures. just really bad decisions by kids and the owner.
                              but stupid games = stupid prizes.
                              dafuq?

Comment

Working...
                              X