Barrel Threading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrel Threading

I bought a Volquartsen 1/2x 28 adapter for my VQ barrel on my 10/22 and it looks like the threads got damaged during shipping. Is there someone locally that can repair / rethread them? I really don't want to have to RMA it back and wait two+ weeks before I see it again.

Barrel Threading

Who do ya use, where are they located and how much?

I had spoken to Morgan at Dallas Shooting supplies about some suppressors but I think I annoyed him changing my mind on suppressor choices twice. Two weeks, a email and a VM and nothing...so

Looking to get my Tikka threaded sometime in the next few weeks. No rush really just trying to get everything taken care of.

Thanks for any input,
    Chris
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

White wing in Denton can do it, I think they run about $150 for threading.

Comment

Atwell tactical in Richardson, $75 and he does a great job, and he's fast. His shop always has a wall of Accuracy International rifles, and other incredibly pricey guns in for threading, so if they trust their guns to him, I trust mine. He's done 5 rifles for me, no problems. There's a gun in Rockwall that does it for $50, he's cheaper but quite a pain to deal with given the distance.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Can't you just buy the right tap/die and fix the threads? (I'm seriously asking before I get flamed)
          Originally posted by stevo
          Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Just had Atwell do my remington 700, did a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
              Can't you just buy the right tap/die and fix the threads? (I'm seriously asking before I get flamed)
              I have no idea. I have never done anything like this before. That would be awesome if I could.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                Atwell tactical in Richardson, $75 and he does a great job, and he's fast. His shop always has a wall of Accuracy International rifles, and other incredibly pricey guns in for threading, so if they trust their guns to him, I trust mine. He's done 5 rifles for me, no problems. There's a gun in Rockwall that does it for $50, he's cheaper but quite a pain to deal with given the distance.
                Can he re-thread the adapter? or "fix" the threads on this adapter? I'm not sure I want to pay $75 to fix a $30 part.

Comment

Just to give you guys an idea of whats going on...
                  I have this barre threaded for 13/16 × 20 (factory VQ)

with this adapter;

The adapter threads are what are damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                    In my opinion... if the threads are CORRECT but damaged, then I'd just get the right die and fix the threads. If you needed to re-thread the whole thing then that's different. You essentially need a $5-$25 tool to do the job and you will always have the tool after that. No need to finance someone else's tools.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                      In my opinion... if the threads are CORRECT but damaged, then I'd just get the right die and fix the threads. If you needed to re-thread the whole thing then that's different. You essentially need a $5-$25 tool to do the job and you will always have the tool after that. No need to finance someone else's tools.
                      They appear to be correct. Where would I get the die at?

Comment

Not sure what part of town you're in, but if anywhere near Plano I'd suggest Elliot's Hardware first. Perhaps one of the big box stores will have it but you'd likely have to buy a large set to find the right ones. I've got a metric set of taps and dies, but not a standard set so I wouldn't be much help.

Stevo

Comment

make sure you get a bottom tap if you plan on clearing the threads all the way down.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'm in north fort worth

It looks like the 2nd and 3rd thread from the top are the ones that are damaged.

Would I need a bottom tap?

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                              I'm in north fort worth

It looks like the 2nd and 3rd thread from the top are the ones that are damaged.

Would I need a bottom tap?
                              A plug tap would do fine for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X