Opinions needed on gaming desktop build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions needed on gaming desktop build

OK, I have read enough on here to know there be some serious geek knowledge on this forum. First thing is I am not interested in building my own computer. I have upgraded/plugged in a few things over the years, but that's about it.

I plan to have one built soon, like in the next week or so. I kinda/sorta have an idea of what I want, but would like to see opinions of what you guys would get with a 1500 to 2000 budget used primarily for gaming. I am going from a ps3 to this. And not a big gamer at that, so not really interested at this point in 4k. Opinions wanted...Thanks.
    Shooting for 1000 posts in 15, well make that 20 years.

6.2L Raptor, 5.9 & 6.7 Cummins, 09 SRT Challenger, 93 331R-block Cobra, 70 6-pack Cuda, 71 383 Cuda vert.

Being perfectly honest, building you own is as simple as plugging stuff in. You screw the motherboard into the case, drop the CPU in to the socket by matching the arrows, click a cooler into place, drop RAM into the slots, screw in the HDD and DVD, then hook up the electrical.

Comment

Funfordcobra probably has enough spare parts to build you something nice. He upgrades monthly.
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

You can do a good gaming build in the 1-1.3k range. that 2k will get you 4k. That doesn't include a monitor. Dell has a sweet deal on a 34" ultrasharp curved monitor for 700 right now. Debating to get or not to get lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
          You can do a good gaming build in the 1-1.3k range. that 2k will get you 4k. That doesn't include a monitor. Dell has a sweet deal on a 34" ultrasharp curved monitor for 700 right now. Debating to get or not to get lol.
          My cousin just got one, it's the ultra wide monitor and it's sweet.

With that said, If I was going to spend that much, I'd spend a little more and get a monitor with G sync. You can order a kit to do it after the fact, but I wouldn't fuck with it.

Comment

4k will rape your ass, good choice. $600 in mobo/ram/proc, $1,600 in gpu, 1k in monitor.

2k is plenty. You can do a skylake 6700k, 16gb ram, 980ti, and a 144hz 1440p ROG monitor with that budget.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post

2k is plenty. You can do a skylake 6700k, 16gb ram, 980ti, and a 144hz 1440p ROG monitor with that budget.
              Cool. That is VERY close to what I had in mind.
              Shooting for 1000 posts in 15, well make that 20 years.

6.2L Raptor, 5.9 & 6.7 Cummins, 09 SRT Challenger, 93 331R-block Cobra, 70 6-pack Cuda, 71 383 Cuda vert.

Comment

I'd avoid skylake for gaming the price difference isn't worth it unless your trying to future proof. And ddr4 is still expensive

Comment

Lol only spare parts I have is those 120mm fans now lol.
                  I also have a lg bluray burner.
                  I have a new unopened ssd 240gb from corsair.

Will sell all cheap.
                  sigpic

Comment

4k will rape your ass, good choice. $600 in mobo/ram/proc, $1,600 in gpu, 1k in monitor.

If you can find a 6700!
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm trying to figure this out:

6700k-$370
                      16gb DDR4-$95
                      980ti-$622
                      144hz 1440p-$450(Not even ROG so add $175 for that)

That puts him at $1537 and he still needs MB, SSD, OS, Power Supply, cpu cooler(not included with 6700k as far as I can tell), possible HDD for more space, and optical drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tthNbv is what you are looking at and that's taking some short cuts but also giving some room to grow. You can get close to $2100 if you drop to a 980(http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6qtYD3) and get to sub $2000 if you give up 144hz(http://pcpartpicker.com/p/G69Zbv)
                      QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

I wouldn't buy a TN 144hz rog. IPS onry.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
                          I'm trying to figure this out:

6700k-$370
                          16gb DDR4-$95
                          980ti-$622
                          144hz 1440p-$450(Not even ROG so add $175 for that)

That puts him at $1537 and he still needs MB, SSD, OS, Power Supply, cpu cooler(not included with 6700k as far as I can tell), possible HDD for more space, and optical drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tthNbv is what you are looking at and that's taking some short cuts but also giving some room to grow. You can get close to $2100 if you drop to a 980(http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6qtYD3) and get to sub $2000 if you give up 144hz(http://pcpartpicker.com/p/G69Zbv)
                          Win 7 upgrade is free, I'm sure he has windows 7, if not you can buy codes for like $10 and just upgrade. You can get an SSD for $40 on newegg right now (I'm still running a 128gb primary SSD). All he would need is an 80 certified 600w PSU to power that system, you can find those for $100-150 depending on the features you want. A cooler for about $40 on amazon like a coolermaster. I would definitely not go with a 980 over a 980ti, the performance sacrifice just isn't worth it, with a 980 you don't need anything near a 6700k. Spend the money on a case you like, and you don't need an optical drive anymore. Heck, many new cases don't even have a provision for an optical drive, like my case.

Or, I'll sell you my old system for $150, it's an AMD FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, Asus motherboard, just plug it in and go. It handled 4k with a 980ti, it will do everything you want, and it's already put together, just screw it down, cooler cpu and ram all installed, bios configured.

In my opinion:

Shit that matters (in order):
                          GPU
                          Monitor
                          Motherboard
                          Processor
                          Ram
                          PSU
                          Case

Stuff that's worth the money:
                          Resolution
                          Gsync
                          Refresh Rate
                          M.2

I wouldn't go with anything less than 1440p, 1080p is yesterday's resolution. You sacrifice so much detail at 1080p. 4k is fucking incredible, but probably not in your budget. In another 3-4 years GPU's and monitors should catch up.
                          Last edited by CJ; 09-24-2015, 06:48 PM.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
                            I wouldn't buy a TN 144hz rog. IPS onry.
                            Any 144hz 1440p screen, doesn't really matter. I don't have any preference.

Comment

How much would you take for the SSD FunFordCobra?

Comment

Working...
                              X