Red dot sights on handguns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red dot sights on handguns

Considering putting a red dot sight on a handgun and when I went looking around the web for personal experiences I saw lots of information about putting these sights on guns like Glocks and S&W M&P and such. I presume these handguns with the more square blockish slides look more finished with these type of sights.

My question relates to putting such a sight on a 1911 handgun. Trijicon has the RMR and has a mounting kit for 1911 where the rear sight is removed and a mounting plate is put in place of the novak cut rear sight. But I cannot find any personal first hand experience on like YouTube about people who have done this and love it or hate it.

Anyone on here that knows anything about this or has personal experience or knows someone who does, I would appreciate hearing any information.

Thanks!
    2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Inaugural Edition
    2011 Harley Davidson F150
    2003 Harley Davidson Road King 100th Anniversary Edition

What are you using the gun in question for?
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I guess I'm old school when it comes to things like that. My philosophy is that if you can't hit it with irons, you shouldn't be shooting at it.
      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
        I guess I'm old school when it comes to things like that. My philosophy is that if you can't hit it with irons, you shouldn't be shooting at it.
        you are drunk
        2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
          you are drunk
          Not presently, or at the time of posting that.
          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
            What are you using the gun in question for?
            It would probably mostly be a range gun. I'm just interested in finding out if there is something about the rounded top of most 1911 slides makes this a bad idea for that sort of gun. Like the edges of the sight might stick out on the sides.

Seems to me there would be more on the internet one way or the other about this since there are adapter kits to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasVert View Post
              It would probably mostly be a range gun. I'm just interested in finding out if there is something about the rounded top of most 1911 slides makes this a bad idea for that sort of gun. Like the edges of the sight might stick out on the sides.

Seems to me there would be more on the internet one way or the other about this since there are adapter kits to do this.
              Most 1911 guys (myself included) don't bother with them. If you start competing and end up in a class where everyone is running them, then take a look at them. You can always add them if you need them.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I was excited to try a red dot on a hand gun but found that it is only worthwhile on big bore hunting revolvers where you take your time to make a shot. On a defensive type of hand gun it is not faster on target than a good set of iron sights.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

The problem is that the sight takes a beating when mounted to the slide, and you will lose the dot during the cycle... it may or may not return to the target and you'll have to slow down to find the dot again. That said, SVI (www.sviguns.com) makes custom slides and guns that have the RMR mounted directly to the slide if that's what you really want.
                  Originally posted by stevo
                  Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                    I was excited to try a red dot on a hand gun but found that it is only worthwhile on big bore hunting revolvers where you take your time to make a shot. On a defensive type of hand gun it is not faster on target than a good set of iron sights.
                    My sentiments, exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                      I've had just the opposite experience. Now granted there was a learning curve and I had to unlearn some bad habits - but I am much faster with a red dot. Also more accurate. For shooting on the move, moving targets, multiple targets, I'll take a red dot over iron sights every time.

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
                        I've had just the opposite experience. Now granted there was a learning curve and I had to unlearn some bad habits - but I am much faster with a red dot. Also more accurate. For shooting on the move, moving targets, multiple targets, I'll take a red dot over iron sights every time.
                        Maybe you just need more practice shooting with regular sights and your improvements when using a red dot are simply highlighting your lack of basic skills. This is the opinion that I have developed by observing other shooters and is not necessarily directed at you.
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
                          This is the consensus of what I saw on YouTube. I totally discount anyone selling anything but there were several gun guys that wanted to give it a try and are reporting their experiences. The three piece combo of rear sight and front sight and then target is more complicated than putting a dot on a target and firing. In fact red dots are so popular now and I have always not been interested because they are most often talking about rifles. I don't want a 1X optic on a rifle. But on a handgun you don't shoot great distance so the 1X mag makes some sense. I know I bet I have a bunch of bad habits to overcome so my learning curve might not be too short but I still feel like it has to unltimately be easier to hit with a single sight. But the lack of info tells me it may not be the best idea in a 1911.

Comment

Have a mount for 1911 red dots that mounts on frame and replaces the take down pin with its own . Had it mounted on a delta gold cup in late 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasVert View Post
                              This is the consensus of what I saw on YouTube. I totally discount anyone selling anything but there were several gun guys that wanted to give it a try and are reporting their experiences. The three piece combo of rear sight and front sight and then target is more complicated than putting a dot on a target and firing. In fact red dots are so popular now and I have always not been interested because they are most often talking about rifles. I don't want a 1X optic on a rifle. But on a handgun you don't shoot great distance so the 1X mag makes some sense. I know I bet I have a bunch of bad habits to overcome so my learning curve might not be too short but I still feel like it has to unltimately be easier to hit with a single sight. But the lack of info tells me it may not be the best idea in a 1911.
                              I always look to youtube for unbiased facts from experts.

Who uses the rear sight on a hand gun when trying to shoot quickly?

Comment

Working...
                              X