Landscaping, moving to the back yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landscaping, moving to the back yard

My front yard is finally getting where I want it, which means it is time to turn towards the back yard. As Lance gets older I want to have a place where we can go outside and play and enjoy. Here is what I am up against

95% weeds growing in the back yard, due to the drainage issues, I just let it go and mowed it as often as possible.
    Landscaping around patio
    establish sod

1. With the drainage, my first step is to get the flower beds around the patio and the house established. This will raise the ground level and push the water out away from the house and the patio. The next step would be to attack the grading and begin to move/direct the water so that it drains off of the yard and not standing 3-4" deep.

2. Landscaping around the patio and the back of the house is a challenge. I need to get the perimeter of the beds set and fill with soil so that I can get everything planted. I transplanted some indian hawthorn from a model home conversion last year, however, only 2 of them are still alive. The other issue I have is at the back of the breakfast nook. There is a significant overhang and quite a bit of dense foliage above that leaves me with all but indirect sunlight. The only sun it gets is whatever reflects off of the surround areas. This area has zero grass and harbors weeds.

3. I can't establish sod really until I get the drainage issue fixed.

I plan to start with the flower beds at the rear, and the one area that I'm not sure what to do with is the area around the bay window. I would like to do some shrubs up against the house, with some non spreading ground cover and flowers in front of them. Though I'm not sure what will survive in that particular area.

These are the best pictures I have that show the area at the back of the breakfast nook. I don't have any that show how much, if any, light that they get during the afternoon hours.

I was hoping to be able to grow box woods and something like a juniper tree. Where box woods would be under the 3 windows at the nook and the junipers would be between the windows to give it some contrast, however, from what I'm reading, those aren't good options for dense shade. Does anyone have some recommendations?
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Well. Here is where I started this morning

Cleared out the debris, broke the ground up a little bit, and added some top soil. Here is where I stopped for the day:

Most of the area that is dirt will be flower bed eventually.

I also did some work on the other side of the patio. I picked up some large rectangular stone from work and laid a perimeter last year.

I decided to split the stones and make them much smaller. This requires less fill dirt, but still raises the ground level to push water out away from the house.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

That looks great! And some hard ass fucking work!
      "PSH!!!"

Comment

Thanks. I'm hoping I can get the rest of the stone split and set. I may have to swipe a few more pieces to finish it up. Then its on the planting more bushes!

Comment

Well. After day two. It stille needs cleaned up and the stones need washed. I need to finish connecting the drip lines and setting up the sprinklers. Then I can finish mulching this side.

I got about 70% of the way around the other side before I ran out of stone. I'll scrounge a few more from work this week and hopefully finish up next weekend.

The next step is creating a plan to fix the drainage and establishing some sod.

Comment

Well. It took 2 weekends and one smashed finger to finish. Just need to plant some stuff now.

This flag stone will get extended all the way out to my storage shed once I start getting the drainage resolved

Comment

Working...
            X