Spider man going to Marvel!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider man going to Marvel!!!!!

Awesome: so are the spiderman movies kaput and going to reboot now?

BREAKING: Sony Pictures Entertainment and Marvel Studios are joining forces on the next iteration of Spider-Man. Kevin Feige, who has steered a ton of hit franchise launches for Marvel, boards the project as producer. He will produce the next films with Amy Pascal, who just left the executive suites at Sony for a big production deal.

Under the deal, Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film from Marvels Cinematic Universe, and then Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017. There had been rumors that Sony might sell the webslinger back to Marvel and Disney but that’s not what is happening. Instead, Sony keeps its top franchise but this opens the door to Marvel Comics’ biggest superhero being able to cross pollinate in the Marvel universe. That has been a key benefit in launching Marvel hits from Iron Man to The Avengers. There had been talk that Spidey would surface in the next installment of Captain America. Now, that can happen. It’s a smart move, because Spidey was showing signs of spandex fatigue. By comparison, Marvel under Feige has enjoyed one of the greatest runs in Hollywood hit history. He has launched hit series, one after another, culminating in The Avengers all-star team film. He has even struck gold launching risky second-tier films, and that includes Guardians of the Galaxy. Next up is Ant-Man with Paul Rudd.

Sony also had the Marvel property Doctor Strange, and Deadline scooped last October 27 that that the studio had set Benedict Cumberbatch to star in that one, with the Oscar nominated The Imitation Game star playing the character for director Scott Derrickson.

Matt Tolmach and Avi Arad, who produced the most recent Amazing Spider-Man films directed by Marc Webb, will become exec producers going forward. Arad has a long history with Marvel, helping rescue the company from bankruptcy, among other things; Tolmach spearheaded the original Sam Raimi-directed trilogy as SPE production co-president, before joining Arad when he transitioned into producing.

Deadline reported last week in breaking the exit of Amy Pascal for a production deal that she would likely be a key player as Spider-Man moved forward and that she would join the project as producer as well as other pics that might include 007. The last installment, 2014’s The Amazing Spider-Man 2, grossed over $700 million but was considered something of a disappointment for a film that cost north of $200 million and grossed about that amount domestically. Andrew Garfield has been playing the wall crawler alongside Emma Stone’s Gwen Stacy. She was a bright spot, but that character completed its run in the series. Sony had made plans for spinoff films based on The Sinister Six, a collection of Spidey villains.

This is a good development for fans. So far, the way it has worked is, both Sony and Fox (with X-Men and Fantastic Four universes) had to keep a steady stream of pictures and developments coming, or risk losing the franchises back to Marvel, which is owned by Disney. That is why, after Sam Raimi decided the original Tobey Maguire Spider-Man series had run its course, Sony had to move so quickly to basically prequelize the original storyline but rehash a lot of Spidey’s origin story. Sony would have risked losing a billion dollar property if it hadn’t met certain deadlines. This accord signals a change in that relationship.

The franchise’s value to Sony is huge. Five films have been made and they’ve grossed $4 billion to be SPE’s largest.

Both Marvel and Sony announced this new teaming this evening.

Bob Iger, Chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Company said: Spider-Man is one of Marvels great characters, beloved around the world. Were thrilled to work with Sony Pictures to bring the iconic web-slinger into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which opens up fantastic new opportunities for storytelling and franchise building.

We always want to collaborate with the best and most successful filmmakers to grow our franchises and develop our characters. Marvel, Kevin Feige and Amy, who helped orchestrate this deal, are the perfect team to help produce the next chapter of Spider-Man, said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment. This is the right decision for the franchise, for our business, for Marvel, and for the fans.

Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios share a love for the characters in the Spider-Man universe and have a long, successful history of working together. This new level of collaboration is the perfect way to take Peter Parkers story into the future, added Doug Belgrad, president, Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group.

I am thrilled to team with my friends at Sony Pictures along with Amy Pascal to produce the next Spider-Man movie, said Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. Amy has been deeply involved in the realization on film of one of the worlds most beloved characters. Marvels involvement will hopefully deliver the creative continuity and authenticity that fans demand from the MCU. I am equally excited for the opportunity to have Spider-Man appear in the MCU, something which both we at Marvel, and fans alike, have been looking forward to for years.

Spider-Man, embraced all over the world, is the most successful franchise in the history of Sony Pictures, with the five films having taken in more than $4 billion worldwide.

Sinister Six is slated for 2016, so I'd imagine Garfield is on board that one, still. After that, I imagine the franchise gets another reboot.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

I think Garfield has been dumped with this move

Comment

That is what I was curious about. I wonder with Marvel having Spidey now if he will plugged straight into current MCU and they ditch sinister six?

I bet they will put a plug into the first movie they can, i bet AOU and antman are out of the picture, but i bet he will be in civil war

Comment

Haha...

As you know by now, Marvel and Sony have struck an agreement that will bring Spider-Man into the Marvel cinematic universe. Many details were left out of the announcement, but more information is spilling out here and there.

The announcement states, "The new Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film from Marvel's Cinematic Universe," but it doesn't say which film. This is where The Wall Street Journal has stepped in with a new report confirming a Spidey appearance in Captain America 3:

The two companies said late Monday that Spider-Man will appear in an upcoming Disney-produced Marvel super-heroes movie; that movie is 2016’s “Captain America: Civil War,” according to a person with knowledge of the matter.
          We also know that the next solo Spider-Man film, which is being co-produced by Marvel and Sony Pictures, will arrive in 2017. The Wall Street Journal also claims that Andrew Garfield is out, as there will be "a new version of the web-slinger."

And what does this new deal mean for The Sinister Six movie Drew Goddard ("Cabin In The Woods") has been working on for over a year?

Sony will delay its planned release of “The Sinister Six,” about a group of Spider-Man villains, in wake of the new deal said a person involved in movie. It had been scheduled for release in November of 2016. -

Comment

Spider-man has a pretty big tie in to Civil War. I am glad he went to a real studio that could do the character right. I have really hated the Spider-man movies after the original Spider-man two.

I never cared for Garfield either.

Comment

Tobey Maguire coming back?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                Tobey Maguire coming back?
                needs to be a no namer

should Peter Parker be a hipster?

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                  needs to be a no namer

should Peter Parker be a hipster?
                  not really joking when i say it could be a black guy.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                    I've seen more than one mention of this. I'm not a fan of re-imaging such a classic and iconic character. It also seems like its an attempt to placate the vocal minority

Comment

Might as well, they rearranged the Fantastic Four...
                      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                        I've seen more than one mention of this. I'm not a fan of re-imaging such a classic and iconic character. It also seems like its an attempt to placate the vocal minority
                        I wasn't even seeking out a story and ran into this today.

Comment

Samuel L Jackson

Comment

sigpic

Comment

I wasn't even seeking out a story and ran into this today.
                              http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/10/80...s-peter-parker
                              'By Kwame Opam' + 'the vocal minority'

I demand....
                              ... Black Panther represent northern africa and be of more arab descent and practice extreme Islam. Boko Haram's fight against the corruption of the south must told.

.... Wonder Woman be a Brazilian, who wears just a t-back and no top while using bondage to get the truth out of men. No I'm not looking at your tits and ass and I totally respect you as a character

.... Batman be an illegal immigrant whose made it big in Gotham and now gives back by serving his unique brand of justice to those that wrong the hispanic community.

.... Superman just goes away because his character is dumb in the modern age.

Comment

Working...
                              X