Low E windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low E windows

Anyone have any good before and after experience with replacing your older windows with some newer low E windows? I'm considering replacing all the windows in my house eventually but just starting with the ones you can see from the street. Are they that much more efficient from the dual panes that came with the house when it was built in 1995? Wondering if it's worth it.

I've been considering this myself. My windows are circa 1986 and are black/dark bronze aluminum frames. My problem is that my home is brick veneer and it seems like a much bigger pain in the ass than it is worth.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

i need to do the same. a few of mine are getting the fog/haze/moisture in between the glass.

god bless.
      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I moved from a house with standard builder grade windows to one with low-e. Night/day difference as far as I can tell.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
          i need to do the same. a few of mine are getting the fog/haze/moisture in between the glass.

god bless.
          How old is the house? They should be able to simply re-glaze those windows that have bad seals. $$$ is typically in the $75-$200 range.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
            How old is the house? They should be able to simply re-glaze those windows that have bad seals. $$$ is typically in the $75-$200 range.
            How does that work? I have a couple like that too. Apologize for being lazy and not googling at this point.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
              How does that work? I have a couple like that too. Apologize for being lazy and not googling at this point.
              Most of them are held in by glazing beads. A vinyl strip that secures the window panes inside of the frame. They come in, pull the glazing strips out, cut the silicone that is sealing the window pane to the frame, pull out the old glass, clean up the silicone, run a fresh bead of silicone, insert new glass, replace glazing strips.

This all depends on the window construction. My aluminum frame windows from '86 are built this way, and it is how all of our new construction, vinyl frame windows are re-glazed.

So, with that said, I'm not sure how the construction of the window frames may or may not differ between the different "grades" of window units. So I can't comment on how effective, simply re-glazing the current windows with more efficient "cartridges", if you will.

If you are dealing with old aluminum windows, then you have a condensation issue in the winter time. I have to keep a close eye on my window stools and re-caulk/paint as necessary so that the condensation doesn't ruin them and the surrounding drywall.

Comment

I Bought my house last summer. 6 windows had bad seals/moisture in them during inspection. Owners had a window company come out and give them a estimate for new seals installed. It was $800 total....so they knocked $800 off closing for me instead of repairing.

Comment

I'm getting my front window replaced, current window is 1985 single pane leaded, it leaks. The window guy came by worth demo and did the heat lamp thing, low-e was huge difference. FYI price doubles for one with an arch, I'm paying almost $1500 for one fucking window but at least I'll have roll up windows
                  Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

We put them in our house (built in 85) and the difference is phenomenal.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                      We put them in our house (built in 85) and the difference is phenomenal.
                      Were they reglazes or full replacement units? Brick or siding?

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                        I'm getting my front window replaced, current window is 1985 single pane leaded, it leaks. The window guy came by worth demo and did the heat lamp thing, low-e was huge difference. FYI price doubles for one with an arch, I'm paying almost $1500 for one fucking window but at least I'll have roll up windows
                        Your house is brick right? Did they replace the entire unit? How did that go?

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                          Your house is brick right? Did they replace the entire unit? How did that go?
                          Yes brick, they're having the window built now. You'll see pics on faceballz in the next couple weeks.
                          Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

I have actually just started my instal today. My house has the original 1962 single pane windows that rattle when a big truck passes by. So I am pretty sure there will be a huge difference. I lucked out and found every window for my house for a little over 900 bucks.

Comment

I'm very interested in the hearing of the results of those doing new installs of LowE windows for energy efficiency, comfort, and noise transmission. I'm considering replacing some of the windows in my townhouse but would like to hear more real world results from those who have done it already.

All my windows currently have condensation between the panes from leaking seals. Resealing as outlined is an option but it might be better to go ahead with upgraded replacements. Only 3 of my windows have brick around them, the rest have siding around them which should make replacement easier.

Which manufacturers are you guys with good results using?

Which manufacturers should be avoided?

There are several window constructions available. Fiberglass, aluminum, and vinyl seem to be the most popular. What are you guys choosing & what was the deciding factor for that choice?

Prices are all over the board. What are realistic prices to pay for quality LowE windows in standard sizes?

Would you do it again or settle for the reseal?

Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X