Here's Why the 2017 Ford GT Is Worth $500,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
    On the V6 thing, they went to the Nth degree to save weight, yet put an iron blocked V6 in it? I suppose if they had developed a new aluminum V8, the price would be WAY more than $500,000 to cover the R&D but if you are going to go to the trouble to build a track car and deal with all the heat management of turbos...make it a V8 and have 750+ hp. Otherwise, it's just another American attempt at a supercar with a truck motor in it to satisfy the knuckle draggers while the guys with the McLaren and the Ferrari take the hot chicks home.
    I doubt the hot chicks will ask how many cylinders it has before climbing in...

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
      On the V6 thing, they went to the Nth degree to save weight, yet put an iron blocked V6 in it?
      I thought the second gen 3.5s were aluminum? This one looks like it.

The Ford Taurus 3.5L EcoBoost platform is formidable right out of the factory, and even more so when a company like Livernois Motorsports has a chance to upgrade it for ultimate performance.

Comment

Comment

I am with Blake, put down the old Detroit Iron V8 bs. The Ford GT40 was made to kick everyone's ass to the curb with a healthy dose of embassment. Looks like this car has the same mission and I am sure they used the refinement of the ecoboost in this to secure that engines future.

Comment

That mid-engine classic comp kind of hurts to look at, and I somehow still kind of want one.

Here's an example of Ford GT + Classic done right:

Comment

Cool car! Best looking of any GT / GT40 yet. I'm not enamored by all the "features" the guy was pointing out. Not being able to pack more than a toothbrush is a bit of a problem if you want to enjoy it on the road. That makes it useful only for Cars and Coffee or maybe a track day, but even then the turbos will cut that short. The engine sounds fine, but an 8/10/12/16 cylinder would sound better. I'm sure they used the compact V6 due to packaging concerns with the aggressive aero in the body design.

I gotta say that 650hp seems a little weak at that price point when you consider the competition...
              When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                Cool car! Best looking of any GT / GT40 yet. I'm not enamored by all the "features" the guy was pointing out. Not being able to pack more than a toothbrush is a bit of a problem if you want to enjoy it on the road. That makes it useful only for Cars and Coffee or maybe a track day, but even then the turbos will cut that short. The engine sounds fine, but an 8/10/12/16 cylinder would sound better. I'm sure they used the compact V6 due to packaging concerns with the aggressive aero in the body design.

I gotta say that 650hp seems a little weak at that price point when you consider the competition...
                power to weight ratio! i bet the car is a rocket ship dare i say foxbody fast!

Comment

Cool car! Best looking of any GT / GT40 yet. I'm not enamored by all the "features" the guy was pointing out. Not being able to pack more than a toothbrush is a bit of a problem if you want to enjoy it on the road. That makes it useful only for Cars and Coffee or maybe a track day, but even then the turbos will cut that short.
                  You can get a roof rack for a Murcielago, surely someone can make one for a GT. I think most of these are going to be trailered around though.

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                    power to weight ratio! i bet the car is a rocket ship dare i say foxbody fast!
                    The performance of that thing is a mile above my driving skill. It's probably out of the league of 99% of the people that have the money to buy it too. That combination makes for great youtube vids.

Comment

The performance of that thing is a mile above my driving skill. It's probably out of the league of 99% of the people that have the money to buy it too. That combination makes for great youtube vids.
                      Supposing that they actually get driven, that is.

Comment

That mid-engine GT350 concept is fucking awesome. Someone needs to go frankenstein that together.

Comment

Comment

^^^ that last car is amazing!!!

Comment

I don't get them going with the V6 either. It is bizarre to me. This car could have easily been a development platform for the next version of the coyote engine.

As for the "V6s can make power too" argument, cubic inches are king. And bearing journals are king. It takes cubic inches and lots of bearings to make huge power reliably unless you want to tear that shit down all the time and rebuild it.
                              Originally posted by racrguy
                              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                              Originally posted by racrguy
                              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                                I don't get them going with the V6 either. It is bizarre to me. This car could have easily been a development platform for the next version of the coyote engine.

As for the "V6s can make power too" argument, cubic inches are king. And bearing journals are king. It takes cubic inches and lots of bearings to make huge power reliably unless you want to tear that shit down all the time and rebuild it.
                                Were they trying to make power or go fast? Those shitty F1 cars and their stupid 1.6L 90degree V6's.

Comment

Working...
                                X