China buys controlling interest in US bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BERNIE MOSFET View Post
    Thank you for enumerating the "legitimate opposition" of my post.
    You're welcome. I did quite a bit of research on it. I knew it was coming through my town, which is just a few hundred people. After I saw the engineering plans, I saw that it would have come about just 1-2 miles from my land, but it would have cut me off from the the highway.
    Last edited by line-em-up; 05-10-2012, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Forgive me. I thought you did some homework before taking a side. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
        Forgive me. I thought you did some homework before taking a side. My bad.
        I don't think you connected the dots.

Someone as intelligent as yourself should surely be able to make out what my objective here was.
        Men have become the tools of their tools.
        -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I don't think you connected the dots.

Someone as intelligent as yourself should surely be able to make out what my objective here was.
          I admit that I am of less than average intelligence, but let me go back and research this thread further before I say anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
            I admit that I am of less than average intelligence, but let me go back and research this thread further before I say anything else.
            I get your point.

I personally heard a fair bit of grumbling not about legitimate concerns regarding the TTC, but that it was a foreign company that would be running it. I did not hear the same grumbling about BBVA's takeover of Compass. And here we are grumbling about China.

That was it.

I made a general argument based on line-em-up's position that he didn't want to pay a foreigner to travel in the US; however, in context my argument was misinformed. Line-em-up clarified the point for me that I was mistaken on. I don't mind being wrong, but it wasn't particularly relevent. I was not advocating for the TTC. As I stated, there are legitimate objections, many of which I knew about -enough to form a valid opinion - and I didn't list them. Line-em-up did, and I thanked him because while there were so many truly valid complaints, some, not all, of what I heard was entirely xenophobic.
            -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I get your point.

I personally heard a fair bit of grumbling not about legitimate concerns regarding the TTC, but that it was a foreign company that would be running it. I did not hear the same grumbling about BBVA's takeover of Compass. And here we are grumbling about China.

That was it.

I made a general argument based on line-em-up's position that he didn't want to pay a foreigner to travel in the US; however, in context my argument was misinformed. Line-em-up clarified the point for me that I was mistaken on. I don't mind being wrong, but it wasn't particularly relevent. I was not advocating for the TTC. As I stated, there are legitimate objections, many of which I knew about -enough to form a valid opinion - and I didn't list them. Line-em-up did, and I thanked him because while there were so many truly valid complaints, some, not all, of what I heard was entirely xenophobic.

Comment

Bernie, you keep using the term xenophobic. What is wrong with wanting to keep our communitys economy strong and centered. I am not interested in a global community or economy. Its not a fear. I dont want taxpayer earning to be pumped into any foreign country.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                  Bernie, you keep using the term xenophobic. What is wrong with wanting to keep our communitys economy strong and centered. I am not interested in a global community or economy. Its not a fear. I dont want taxpayer earning to be pumped into any foreign country.
                  Send that shit to Washington so it can be wasted properly! lol
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                    Send that shit to Washington so it can be wasted properly! lol
                    Ha, yes, for the extreme high volume toilet cash flushing, thats true. But, we dont have to send it that far. Austin can do a pretty good job of wasting cash, or in this case, just pumping it right out of our economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                      It's xenophobia when fears of foreign influence are unfounded. Fear is a perception of some threat. If the argument is "Oh god, foreigners are taking over the country! Doooooooom" without substantive reasoning to support the line of thought, it cannot be explained any other way, can it?

If I left Compass after BBVA bought it because fuck those dirty gazpacho eatin' Spaniards, then that's a reason, but is it substantive? I left because I, like you, wanted to keep U.S. money in U.S. hands. By articulating the desire to curb trade deficits on an economy of some scale, be it local, state, or national, the objection to foreign interest in domestic markets gains legitimacy as a measure of preserving one's self interest, no?

I'm really splitting hairs about how objections to foreign influence are raised. Substantive objections are predicated on real threats. What I observed in my initial post was that I don't really recall any objections to a Spanish company taking over a sizable domestic bank, yet people react strongly to the Chinese. Why is that?
                      -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                      X