Question about selling gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about selling gun

Alright I have never sold a gun before so I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject. From what I gather it is illegal to sell a gun to someone without a Texas drivers license, unless transferred by an ffl dealer. So the question I have is I have a guy wanting to by a rifle of mine that just got stationed her by the marines so he has a out of state license. Is it more trouble than it's worth to go through the bullshit of the ffl crap or should I just sell it at the next gun show?

This seems accurate...

Face to Face - Personal Sale

This is the most common transaction and by far the most profitable one to boot. In the state of Texas you do not have to transfer ownership of the firearm via a dealer, nor do you have to have the firearm re-registered as there is no such firearms registration in the state of Texas.

Your only obligation is to reasonably assume that the purchaser is a Texas resident and legally able to own and possess the firearm. Often times people will request a Texas Drivers License to ensure they are a state resident, write a bill of sale, and sometimes take information from the purchaser. All of these are not required, but to some, are good practice to ensure you, as the seller, are performing your duty properly. Each seller's methods vary, and some buyers are defensive about providing personal info to strangers due to identity theft.

Once the transaction is performed you are done. There's no paperwork, no phone calls, etc. to be made.

Gun shows are good avenues for placing your guns in a buyer-rich environment. If you are unsure how to attract a buyer, I suggest a gun show.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

What the ATF has on their website trumps anyone's interpretation.

See 2 and 3. http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry...top-10-qas.pdf
      Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

More... http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html
        Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Yeah I've read through all those that's why I haven't sold the gun to him yet. I have found no info on tranfering to tranfered military, so the only thing that counts is the drivers license from what I read. I guess I'll look into ffl transfers.

Comment

Yeah, #2 is pretty clear cut. FFL transfers are easy and we have one or two on the board who will do it.

Comment

What are you selling?

Comment

Savage model 11 in 308. Only has 75 round through it
                Scope not included.

Also about to sell a ruger lcr 38 special.

Comment

Put on Texas hunting forum, I've sold all the guns I've posted on there within 3 days max, most took a day. My LCR sold pretty quickly

Comment

Originally posted by pr1042 View Post
                    Put on Texas hunting forum, I've sold all the guns I've posted on there within 3 days max, most took a day. My LCR sold pretty quickly
                    Yeah, THF is a pretty good place to sell guns, I would say almost better than TGT, but the forum interface is messy on THF and my stuff gets buried faster.

Comment

According to the ATF link, the buyer must reside in the same state. They don't have to be a citizen of the state or have a DL here. The Marine's mail will come to him in TX so he resides here.

Comment

Just ask him to show you a power or water bill. That's what most of us have to show when we are stationed outside of our home state to be able to purchase a firearm in that state. When I was in NC they do pistol purchase permits. I had to show a powerbill to the clerk before she would issue me the permit.

If he's a Marine stationed around here I might know him.
                        2004 Suzuki DL650
                        1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Military is exempt under ATF from that regulation. As long as he/she can provide orders showing they are based in that state on a permanent (PCS) basis they don't need an in-state DL.

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
                            Just ask him to show you a power or water bill. That's what most of us have to show when we are stationed outside of our home state to be able to purchase a firearm in that state. When I was in NC they do pistol purchase permits. I had to show a powerbill to the clerk before she would issue me the permit.

If he's a Marine stationed around here I might know him.
                            What if in barracks?

Comment

Originally posted by pr1042 View Post
                              Never had a bad run on there so far. Posted up an upper that I wanted to trade, ended up with a bunch of offers by the end of the day yesterday and one that is pretty darned fair.

Comment

Working...
                              X