Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have experience with septic systems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have experience with septic systems?

I know everyone here is the CEO of their own Fortune 500 company or a big time hedge fund manager so this is a long shot, but:

Do any of you know how to do septic lateral lines? We need to replace a collapsed line. Basically abandon the old and run a new line.

I have a backhoe and don’t mind getting my hands dirty to save a bunch of money, I just don’t want to do this and end up with inadequate lines. A friend is a backhoe operator and has done sewer work for the city but not residential lateral lines. He’s willing to help with the labor but can’t offer design input.

I’ve asked Google and the results give all sorts of tables and formulas and conditions based on soil type and on and on.

Most counties will require you to convert to a aerobic system. so you may not be able to do this.
    If you can "repair" an existing leach line then:

It all depends on the percolation test. The faster the soil can absorb the water, the less amount of line you need. You need enough field line to absorb all the waste water even in wet conditions.

My advice for what it's worth:

Go to at least an 8" line. It has twice the volume as the old 4", so you can dig a shorter line. Put in more line than you think you will need. The corrugated black plastic line is better than the old PVC. Wrap it in a couple of layers of weed block material. Make sure it has a line of holes pointing straight down. Backfill with sand or gravel to give yourself even more volume. Think about separating your washing machine off to another field line and not running it thru your septic tank.

Comment

That whole business is nothing but an extortion racket for the County... using septic company contractors as enforcement agents.

Out here in east Texas, you're not really allowed to do your own work unless it's a only minor repair, they want you to hire a licensed contractor that they can then use as an agent to get into your wallet with never ending yearly fees, inspections, permits etc.

Aerobic systems require an annual service contract, plus inspections 3 times a year and that's not including any repairs or system services.

Use caution and if you make repairs yourself, kinda' keep it on the down low to keep prying eyes and nosey agents from reporting your activities to the authorities.

it's quite the racket they've got going out here in BFE...

With all that being said:
      There is some new pretty good lateral line that consists of black perforated corrugated piping surrounded with foam pellets all in a mesh netting material that is sold in 10' sections and it works great. Dig the trench, snap sections together and drop it in and cover it up. Maybe add in a few clean out ports in the lines as we did.

I used it on my Mom's (grand fathered in) 50 year old conventional system at her home and it worked out really good.

Good luck
      mardyn

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
        Most counties will require you to convert to a aerobic system. so you may not be able to do this.
        If you can "repair" an existing leach line then:

It all depends on the percolation test. The faster the soil can absorb the water, the less amount of line you need. You need enough field line to absorb all the waste water even in wet conditions.

My advice for what it's worth:

Go to at least an 8" line. It has twice the volume as the old 4", so you can dig a shorter line. Put in more line than you think you will need. The corrugated black plastic line is better than the old PVC. Wrap it in a couple of layers of weed block material. Make sure it has a line of holes pointing straight down. Backfill with sand or gravel to give yourself even more volume. Think about separating your washing machine off to another field line and not running it thru your septic tank.
        Nothing is being converted right now. The house in question is 55 years old and will most likely be demolished within 5-6 years. Hence the desire to do this inexpensively.

Originally posted by mardyn View Post
        That whole business is nothing but an extortion racket for the County... using septic company contractors as enforcement agents.

Out here in east Texas, you're not really allowed to do your own work unless it's a only minor repair, they want you to hire a licensed contractor that they can then use as an agent to get into your wallet with never ending yearly fees, inspections, permits etc.

Aerobic systems require an annual service contract, plus inspections 3 times a year and that's not including any repairs or system services.

Use caution and if you make repairs yourself, kinda' keep it on the down low to keep prying eyes and nosey agents from reporting your activities to the authorities.

it's quite the racket they've got going out here in BFE...

With all that being said:
        There is some new pretty good lateral line that consists of black perforated corrugated piping surrounded with foam pellets all in a mesh netting material that is sold in 10' sections and it works great. Dig the trench, snap sections together and drop it in and cover it up. Maybe add in a few clean out ports in the lines as we did.

I used it on my Mom's (grand fathered in) 50 year old conventional system at her home and it worked out really good.

Good luck
        mardyn
        Agreed on all parts about the racket. The property in question is nearly 8 acres with plenty of trees between the neighbors so being discreet will be fairly easy.

I have seen the lines you mentioned when doing research online but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Comment

Working...
        X