dirtbike noob?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
    thanks for all the info guys. i plan on buying used. any tips there?
    kick the tires. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
      I have an 09 YZ450F and an 08 KXF250. Both are fun but I will be getting a new bike after xmas...probably gonna go to Suzuki 2011.
      You gonna be looking to sell the KXF250?? I'll be looking to buy one...

Comment

if you buy used when you go to test it out make sure it's cold and hasn't been pre-warmed so it kicks over easily. Check the obvious things like case leaks, forks leaks, etc. You should be able to get a good gauge on a bikes condition by a) the surroundings (nice house, clean cars, other clean bikes etc..good chance they did maintenance) and b) knowing what the "wear" items are and checking them out. See how fresh the chain looks, ask about scheduled maint, etc.
        Last edited by lowthreeohz; 12-09-2010, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
          You're correct, but you'll have to pay sales tax in Texas if you file for a Texas title, correct?

Here's a small bargaining tip - once you get the dealer as low as he'll go on the price, let him know that it's still not good enough. You know he won't go any lower on the bike, so ask for accessories (skid plate, exhaust, programmer, or whatever). My dealer threw in a nice skid plate for me - I would've paid his asking price, but I figured I would see if I could get something extra out of the deal. They're only spending their cost on the extras, but you're saving MSRP on the extras. Make sense?

I'm not very sure on how applying for the Texas title works. I'll have to ask Dad and see what he says. And +1 on asking for extras. Most dealerships that sell alot of bikes and give the best deal they can will hook you up with free or discounted gear. They want the customer to always come back whether it's for parts, accessories, service, or more bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
            thanks for all the info guys. i plan on buying used. any tips there?

If you're buying a used dirt bike, check to make the subframe isn't cracked or bent from a wreck or laying it down. Those things can get kinda pricey on the newer bikes unless you can find one on eBay.

Comment

Working...
            X