No announcement yet.

Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never had sous vide cooking, but really don't see the appeal. I've seen it utilized on various shows and praised, but essentially, you're boiling in a bag. Shocking.
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
      I've never had sous vide cooking, but really don't see the appeal. I've seen it utilized on various shows and praised, but essentially, you're boiling in a bag. Shocking.
      Nope.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
        Nope.
        Simmering? Bathing in lukewarm water? Whatr?

Comment

There is a lot of appeal...

1. You cant overcook the food
          2. You can cook meats for a very long time (see my 72 hour short ribs) that will allow fats and collagen to break down
          3. You can PRECISELY smoke foods using the Alton Brown method and a sous vide
          4. You can perfectly cook eggs. Custards are much better off this way
          5. You can cook a big batch and leave it until its ready like catering but it will still be cooked correctly 5 hours later

You cant knock it until you try it. Id put my home made steak against yours any day.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
            That shit looks great to me! Which steakhouses cook their steaks this way?
            You're much more likely to find it in steakhouses in hotels, for reason #5 in Tim's post. Also, banquet type food. Where they are feeding a shitload of people at once. There is an upward trend of sous vide becoming more common. And from an operation standpoint, it's only logical. Continued technology development in equipment has made it more feasible, they gain much greater control in consistency, and keep labor costs down because anyone can do it if they have a proper Chef in control.
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Simmering? Bathing in lukewarm water? Whatr?
              Protein denaturation by heat.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                Thomas Keller is a world known chef that uses sous vide
                I got lucky and he was at French Laundry when I got in two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamLX View Post
                  I got lucky and he was at French Laundry when I got in two years ago.
                  Don't you have to get in by lottery, basically? And they choose the date for you as well? I'm not sure what pricing is like there as I've never looked into it, but I would expect something over $500 for two?

Comment

I got lucky enough to find out Chick-fil-A will do nuggets sous vide if you call ahead....

Comment

Don't you have to get in by lottery, basically? And they choose the date for you as well? I'm not sure what pricing is like there as I've never looked into it, but I would expect something over $500 for two?
                      It's the biggest pain in the ass to get reservations. The reservations are done 60 days out at a precise time and are basically booked within seconds of being available. The menu is a nine course prix fixe that changes daily. It's $270 per person which includes tip. It's ridiculous, but worth it for the culinary experience if you're into that stuff.

Comment

I'd like to add, before anyone gets too worried about it, that sous vide is a perfectly safe process. 56* can kill beef pathogens in as little as 5 minutes, so while it looks like it isn't a very high temperature, after an extended period, there should be absolutely nothing alive in there.

Comment

Working...
                        X