1150 vs 2011-V3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1150 vs 2011-V3

Hey guys, I am building a new PC from the group up, and I have have trouble deciding between these two systems. The only real cost differences are the motherboard and the ram. Otherwise all of the other components are the same and the CPU is a whole $20 more.

I want to run 3 27" or greater size monitors with 3 GPUs (have not decided if SLI or just 3 separate units). I have run multiple monitors for a very long time, and any machine which has more monitors than cards always seems to suffer.

I would love some more opinions on the build! I am going to have a 1tb SSD and likely a 4tb HDD as storage (or several 2tb). I will list the things that I would like to have:

K type Intel processor
    MB that can support 32GB+ of ram and 3 GPUs
    SSD and HDD backup/Storage
    970 GPUs (maybe? I am torn right now)
    32GB ram to start
    A pair of Blueray read/write drives
    Multicard memory reader
    1000w Silver or better power supply
    Some sort of fan controller
    Parts for liquid processor cooling (prob a self contained unit)
    Possibly liquid cooling parts for the GPUs
    Windows OS

Thanks guys!

I would go 2011, at least 5820k (all of the boards that support these procs will run 32gb+) My p9x79 supports up to 128gb now.

Stay away from 3tb drives as their failure rates are fairly high when compared to other drives.

For your GPU question, what is your main goal (Productivity or Gaming?). Don't get a 970 if you plan on going tri-sli or if you even try to game on 3 monitors (even 1080p ones). If you go 3 GPU's, you pretty much have to go 2011 so you can gain all those PCIE lanes.

Bluray drives are a waste imo. I bought a fucking burner when they first came out and I've used it maybe three times. Too slow, too expensive (media), and bluray playback in windows without software is a pain in the ass (imo). I would just opt out of all media drives.

Memory reader, no clue on this.

PSU depends on your GPU choice.

Fan controller, depends on your fan choice. PWM vs non.

If you go self contained for water cooling (like an AIO) check out Swiftechs 220x ? kit. For the GPU it really depends on your GPU choices again. You could go hybrid 980ti and they have a built in AIO unit.

Windows 10 = free, reserve your copy.

Comment

2011-v3 sold me with the $300 5820k. Plus when Broadwell drops it will be 2011-v3 compatible.

For 3 GPUs most people would recommend the 5930k because it (I think) has 40 PCIE lanes vs the 5820k 24. Which if you are gaming may result in a 5% loss vs running 16x8x8x or 16x16x8. (if that's possible)

My advice to you from someone who has done the 3 gpu thing is don't. Spend your money on 1 or 2 of the most powerful GPUs in your budget.

I'd do SLI 980s vs x3 SLI 970s all day and at this point a 980TI is really the best buy right now.
      sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=roliath;1491265]If you go self contained water cooling (like an AIO) check out Swiftechs 220x ? kit.[QUOTE]

I used to agree on this. In fact wanted to do an entire 2gpu and cpu loop with it. I checked the forums and it is FULL of pump problems when you expand. Great idea, love the kit, seems weak pump.

I'm doing full EK WB setup now. My first time. I'm hoping I don't get any leaks but its simple enough. Prolly a waste of money but its fun to me and keeps me sane.

Not going the swift 220x route is going to cost me an additional 200 dollars.

So looking at about 800 for everything minus coolant

TLDR: AIO W/C get a Corsair H100HTX/I/whatever. Infact If you need one mine will be for sale in a week. 40 dollars 1 year old. PLUS if corsair gets leaks they will replace damage.
        sigpic

Comment

Also if you do 3GPUs plan on $800 or more for water-cooling or your cards will constantly throttle under load.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X