Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Semi Auto Shotguns? Beretta 1301 Tactical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
    I have shot it a few times. Almost no recoil compared to a 12ga, like a AR or something, maybe less. IIRC it patterned about 1-2 inches at 15 yards with 3 ball buck, don't quote me on this. Handles all dreamy, and the little short shoulder sleeve holds like 8 extra rounds. You can shoot it like a pistol almost with one hand. I feel like a Pirate when I pull it out.
    You know I didn't realize it was a .410 until you said compared to a 12 gauge which was why I was questioning. Still don't think I would trust a .410 to defend my life. You just don't read any stores where ".410 saved my life" other than maybe against snakes.

I know you said "the chances of someone entering your house.." but I think I'd want to have something with a little more proven track record.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
      You know I didn't realize it was a .410 until you said compared to a 12 gauge which was why I was questioning. Still don't think I would trust a .410 to defend my life. You just don't read any stores where ".410 saved my life" other than maybe against snakes.

I know you said "the chances of someone entering your house.." but I think I'd want to have something with a little more proven track record.
      Being hit with 3 .38 caliber projectiles repeatedly will surely cause you to have a bad day. The reason you never hear any stories is because, really the 12 gauge has been the standard for hunting and such for ever, and why buy a .410 when a 12ga is cheaper all the way around usually. Also peoples egos of course.

Last edited by kingjason; 11-12-2019, 01:12 PM.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

^^^ Anything you can make hits with is good for self defense. I would still pick something larger than a .410 if there was an option.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Being hit with 3 .38 caliber projectiles repeatedly will surely cause you to have a bad day. The reason you never hear any stories is because, really the 12 gauge has been the standard for hunting and such for ever, and why buy a .410 when a 12ga is cheaper all the way around usually. Also peoples egos of course.

Not hating, I had an old Montgomery Ward .410 as my first shotgun. Really loved that thing... until it broke. It's nice that they have finally come up with better defensive shells for the .410 thanks to the Judge/Governor and the Remington/Mossberg offerings.

But I've taken a couple of shotgun classes this year and know how to handle them and what they can do. We got to show a variety of different types of shotguns and calibers over the 3 day instructor class I took last month. The 12 gauge is just what I feel comfortable with.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
            ^^^ Anything you can make hits with is good for self defense. I would still pick something larger than a .410 if there was an option.
            Dare I say I agree with SVO? Unless size/weight was an issue, I would go with the 12 gauge. I wouldn't even consider the 20 gauge.

Comment

Here is some food for thought that I should have added yesterday, 8 or 9 .38 caliber pellets from a single 12 gauge 00 buck shell vs. 3 from the .410. Again, not knocking the .410 (to much ), I think it has it's place for size and weight. If I lived further out in the boonies I think it would make a great snake gun. I'd still have one today if it hadn't broken

Comment

You realize the 38 special was the go to gun for murder and self protection for yearsssss, one bullet per pull, not three. Honestly use what you want, I was just suggesting a family friendly option. I really like my Shockwave.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

You realize the 38 special was the go to gun for murder and self protection for yearsssss, one bullet per pull, not three. Honestly use what you want, I was just suggesting a family friendly option. I really like my Shockwave.
                  The typical 38 caliber load that police carried in this country for nearly 80 years had a bullet that weighed nearly three times what a single pellet of OO Buckshot weighs and that had a better profile for penetration.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I totally get that and I carry an LCR on occasion chambered in .38 Special (rather than the .357). And you are right, it's a family friendly option.

Comment

Working...
                    X