PC Gamers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Gamers....

Put together the best gaming desktop you can for around $4k, that includes monitors and I want 3 24"-27".

Im thinking I want to go Nvidia. Im sure AMD/ATI is great but I have only had them twice and both times were flops. First was the X800 desktop card and obviously it was horrible and then I just sent back a alienware laptop with dual 6990M's that would overheat due to some issue with the temp sensor or Vbios or something.

Here are a couple setups I threw together so critique and make some changes.

**EDIT**
    Cant figure out how to post newegg lists so here ya go

Lian li case
    Buy LIAN LI PC-V2120X All Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

3 asus 24" monitors
    Buy ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

2 MSI GTX580 Lightning Xtreme Edition
    Buy MSI GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Support Video Card N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Enermax 1350W modular PSU
    Buy Enermax MaxRevo 1350W 80 Plus Gold Certified, Full Modular, ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready, Server Ready, 7 Year Warranty, Power Supply, EMR1350EWT with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Corsair Vengance 12gb
    Buy CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M2A2000C10 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Gigabyte G1 Assasin mobo
    Buy GIGABYTE G1 Gaming G1.Assassin LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 XL ATX Intel Motherboard with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Intel i7-980
    Buy Intel Core i7-980 - Core i7 Gulftown 6-Core 3.33 GHz LGA 1366 130W Desktop Processor - BX80613I7980 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

2 Crucial M4 128gb SSD's
    Buy Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CT256M4SSD2 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Corsair H80 CPU cooler
    Buy CORSAIR Hydro Series H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Total $4106
    Last edited by Lason; 10-30-2011, 08:10 PM.

Those setups aren't viewable to us.

Comment

16gb ram
      noctua dh14
      crucial m4's
      3x hp zr24's (or even better dell u2410's)
      corsair ax1200
      2x 6970's

I'd go with better monitors especially if you want to try out surround or eyefinity. those h80's are nice, but i'd still go with the noctua and if you're gonna stay with x58 i'd go with the asus p6t7 ws supercomputer mobo. Those 580's are nice, but that's alot of vram for a small res (5760x1080). Those 580's are "meant" for 3x30's (7680x1600) where actual you will run out of vram with 2gb cards. 2gb is enough for 5760x1080p and i'd go tri-fire 6970's.
      Last edited by roliath; 10-30-2011, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I REALLY dont want ATI/AMD

Oh and ASUS supercomputer has no Sata 6gb/s or USB 3.0's

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
          I REALLY dont want ATI/AMD
          why

at the end of the day its you're money, but i gave you my opinion. 580s are great, 3gb cards are meant for 30inch multimonitor setups. x800 was years ago. if my last nvidia card was a 5800 series, i'd never go back to nvidia but things change. and I wouldn't invest into a dead socket (1366) a high clocked sandy bridge is a side grade from a high clocked 980/990x though.

yeah no native sata6/usb3 is lame, but i'd still go with that board hands down for x58. it has enough expansion slots to add a card if you truly need it.

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
            why

at the end of the day its you're money, but i gave you my opinion. 580s are great, 3gb cards are meant for 30inch multimonitor setups. x800 was years ago. if my last nvidia card was a 5800 series, i'd never go back to nvidia but things change.
            What does AMD offer that I wont get with 580's? I figure by going with Nvidia I get Cuda and PhysiX. Im sure you know more about all this than I do, but like I said AMD has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Comment

What does AMD offer that I wont get with 580's? I figure by going with Nvidia I get Cuda and PhysiX. Im sure you know more about all this than I do, but like I said AMD has left a bad taste in my mouth.
              Yeah I agree, and i'm not gonna fight you for it lol.

Cuda and Phsyx is nice for the two games that come out once a year that use Phsyx. Other than that, its too expensive for small dev's to license so you won't see it alot. If you're gonna be playing mirrors edge and batman arkham city for the next couple years than go for it.
              3d vision is another bonus, but amd's 3d vision is just as quick and both setups aren't perfect. you'll have your trade offs for each setup.

but like I posted earlier, if I was gonna buy this week i'd go with the setup I said earlier. and save money where I could to get the better monitor's. Seriously, splurge on the monitors if you're gonna be using surround or eyefinity. your eyes will thank you later.

i'd go with 6970's in xfire or two 560ti's (2gb) in sli if I was gaming @ 5760x1080p. I would not buy 1.5gb 580's for any reason ever, and I would only look at 3gb cards if I was pushing 7k resolution.

my 3 twenties in portrait is the same amount of pixels as 5760x1080p and my dual 6970's can play pretty much everything on it maxed out. Minus GTA4 with enb lol, and maybe metro in dx11 with all the eyecandy. But very few cards can handle those games at that res, the games are just very taxing on everything.
              Last edited by roliath; 10-30-2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

ATI left a bad taste in my mouth years ago. Phsyx is becoming more popular in games, so that's a plus to stay with Nvidia for me.

I like your setup. I'm jealous. My budget for a new gaming rig isn't until next year.
                "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                  ATI left a bad taste in my mouth years ago. Phsyx is becoming more popular in games, so that's a plus to stay with Nvidia for me.

I like your setup. I'm jealous. My budget for a new gaming rig isn't until next year.
                  I fail to see where physx is becoming popular considering its been out since what 08 and we have maybe 20 games that use it. And neither were triple a titles with the exception of batman. Its unfortunate, but you will never see more than 2~3 games released each year to use phsyx, it simply hasn't gained enough advantage of gpu physx. The dev's can use opencl or just go havok or build their own physx engine aka euphoria, or did rockstar license that?
                  Most games have their own physics engine, its costly to go green for phsyx.

Comment

Ok so would it be best in your opinion to go with a 6990 and a 6970 in tri-fire or 3 6970's? I figure with a 6970 and a 6990 I can get trifire and use both x16 slots on that board where as a 6970 would get put in a x8 slot with 3 cards although Im sure it doesnt matter that much.

Also what about two 6990's on quad?

Comment

Ok so would it be best in your opinion to go with a 6990 and a 6970 in tri-fire or 3 6970's? I figure with a 6970 and a 6990 I can get trifire and use both x16 slots on that board where as a 6970 would get put in a x8 slot with 3 cards although Im sure it doesnt matter that much.

Also what about two 6990's on quad?
                      quad sli or quad fire and you become more susceptible for micro stutter as opposed to dual/tri setups. The 4th gpu doesn't scale well either in most games.

6990+6970 is just a "tad" slower than 6970's in xfire. but if your mobo will only do x16/x8/x8 i'd go 6990+6970 if it can do x16/x16/x8 I'd go three cards. (this is debatable though, unless your going for world records or benching nonstop I think you could ignore this)

Sandy can't do tri-fire or tri-sli so i'm assuming you want to stick to 1366, if that's the case I'd find a board you really like and build around that.

Comment

I'd go w/ G.Skill over Corsair and I'm not sold on the Hydro series coolers.

Comment

I fail to see where physx is becoming popular considering its been out since what 08 and we have maybe 20 games that use it. And neither were triple a titles with the exception of batman. Its unfortunate, but you will never see more than 2~3 games released each year to use phsyx, it simply hasn't gained enough advantage of gpu physx. The dev's can use opencl or just go havok or build their own physx engine aka euphoria, or did rockstar license that?
                          Most games have their own physics engine, its costly to go green for phsyx.
                          Dunno about Euphoria. And I didn't know about opencl? or Havok?

I was a Tom Clancy junkie for awhile and most of those FPS used Phsyx. Batman Arkham Asylum was gorgeous with Phsyx.

Partial lists:

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

also remember that multimonitor gaming isn't perfect and not very many games support it out of the box if the game has ingame fov adjustment than thank god! but if it doesn't you're gonna be looking at the game in a fisheye mode (center = perfect, sides = stretched).

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                            Dunno about Euphoria. And I didn't know about opencl? or Havok?

I was a Tom Clancy junkie for awhile and most of those FPS used Phsyx. Batman Arkham Asylum was gorgeous with Phsyx.

Partial lists:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX
                            yeah i'm aware of the list and games, but they all had an option to render on the cpu and unless you had a shit cpu it wasn't a big deal

havok and euphoria are third party physic's engines.

opencl is a language for cpu/gpu computing, dev's could get crazy and utilized that if they wanted to create a gpu physics engine for ati. but most dev's don't do that.

physx is nice, but definitely doesn't make or break the game imo. I mean when I was on my tri-sli 285 setup, I didn't really play graw or mirrors edge but maybe a few hours. so it wasn't a huge deal for me to not have physx. The ONLY game that I think i'm gonna kick myself for not having phsyx is Arma3 and i'll tackle that when the game is released.

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                            I'd go w/ G.Skill over Corsair and I'm not sold on the Hydro series coolers.
                            they're strong coolers, as are the kuhler's from antec. but those pumps could go belly up anytime, or fail at anytime; very rare but its something to note. I'd just stick with a beefy ass air cooler such as the noctua.

The g.skill vs corsair argument is really personal preference, just go with whatever is priced right and at least 1600mhz and make sure they have a damn good warranty.

edit: to add, lol at that nvidia physx list, even if I was on an nvidia setup I wouldn't want to replay any of those games on that list.
                            Last edited by roliath; 10-30-2011, 08:58 PM.

Comment

edit: to add, lol at that nvidia physx list, even if I was on an nvidia setup I wouldn't want to replay any of those games on that list.

Mass Effect? Who doesnt want to replay Mass Effect 3?

Comment

Working...
                              X