Well that sucks rip jessi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well that sucks rip jessi

Yesterday, while attempting to beat her own land speed record, the 52,000 horsepower jet-powered car driven by racer, fabricator, and television personality Jessi Combs crashed in the Alvord Desert in Oregon, killing her, as local news reports. Combs was 36 years old and held the title of “fastest woman on four wheels” after breaking 398 mph in that same North American Eagle Supersonic Speed Challenger in 2013.

Combs was attempting to beat her previous record, and had attempted it as recently as last year, when she managed a 483.227 mph shakedown run before mechanical problems ended the attempt, as noted on the team’s bio page for Jessi.

Just a few days ago, Combs tweeted a picture of her and the jet car as they prepared for this most recent speed record attempt:

Combs’ death was confirmed this morning on Instagram by Terry Madden, a member of Combs’ team:

Combs was a lot more than a very, very fast person; she was a skilled builder and fabricator, representing the American Welding Society, and even designing a line of women’s welding gear:
    Combs was on television frequently, appearing on Overhaulin’, All Girls Garage, and even served as a host of Mythbusters.
    Combs was an accomplished off-road racer as well, competing in the Baja 1000 and was the first woman to place at a King of Hammers event; in 2016 she had a 1st-place finish at the King of Hammers, earning her the nickname “Queen of Hammers.”

Combs was an impressive force in racing and motoring regardless of gender; but as a woman everything she achieved she did so despite the resistance of what is still a male-dominated world, and provided a valuable role model for other women in motorsport and hands-on automotive work.

Yesterday, while attempting to beat her own land speed record, the 52,000 horsepower jet-powered car driven by racer, fabricator, and television personality Jessi Combs crashed in the Alvord Desert in Oregon, killing her, as local news reports. Combs was 39 years old and held the title of “fastest woman on four…

Man that sucks. By all accounts, not only was she great at many things, but just a very genuine, cool person. RIP Jessi.

Comment

that's terrible! i liked her car tv shows and she was great on mythbusters

Comment

I really enjoyed her on TV, she did what she wanted, and did it well. So unfortunate.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Any reports of how fast she was going when she crashed?

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
            Any reports of how fast she was going when she crashed?
            rumor is over 400
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
              rumor is over 400
              Hopefully she felt nothing!
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                Hopefully she felt nothing!
                I second this.

amazing how personally you can take the passing of a total stranger. This hit the car world hard today. Pretty much my entire FB and instagram is nothing but people and their grief. Humbling really, she was the same age as me from what I read, yet I feel like I'd been watching her my whole life.

Comment

Dang R.I.P....a lot of car people have died doing what they love.
                  Originally posted by Da Prez
                  Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                  Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Shit really sucks, she was a fucking legit hot rodder. LSR is no joke...

She had good taste too

Did the TROG events in Jersey:

She drove this back in 2015:

and also hit 440.7 in North American Eagle that year:

And was huge in motorcycles, baja, etc...

Comment

Sucks. Use to watch her all the time on Xtreme4x4 on Spike TV back in the day. She was an awesome fabricator. She didn't stay with All Girls Garage that long, but fun to watch.

At least she died doing something she had a passion for. There are worse ways to go.

Comment

Thanks for all the pictures. I remember her back from extreme 4x4 on the power block. always made me chuckle when the guy on that show would get out of the way to let her weld. She had skill for sure.

Comment

From one of her teammates:

Originally posted by Terry Madden
                          “So I don’t know how to say any of this but it all needs [to be] said. I have never loved or been loved by anyone as much as this amazing woman @TheJessiCombs, she was truly my unicorn and I enjoyed every single minute that I had with her. She was the most amazing spirit that I have ever or will ever know. Unfortunately, we lost her yesterday in a horrific accident.
                          I was the first one there and trust me, we did everything humanly possible to save her!! I’m not okay, but she is right here keeping me going—I made her a promise that if this didn’t go well that I would make sure and do good with it, please help me with that.
                          You are all going to see things on news, please believe none of them...we the family have drafted a release and it will come out today with more proper info, but I was just woken up by the media tracking me down and I need every one of her true friends to do what she would want, “take a deep breath, relax” and do good things with this.
                          Please donate to nothing, I know there will be people trying, we are finishing the documentary as she wished, and the world will know the truth and her foundation will use those funds to do amazing things in this world and make her legacy live on properly. In the coming days, her family and I will get the proper channels put together that you can then donate to that foundation, but until you hear it from me, wait please—I don’t want some asshole profiting off this (already had one try to sell us a video)....

“Love you all and thank you all for being such amazing friends to her, she dedicated her life to helping support others’ dreams and I promise I will continue that.”

What she posted 4 days ago

It may seem a little crazy to walk directly into the line of fire... those who are willing, are those who achieve great things.

People say I’m crazy. I say thank you

Comment

That was her boyfriend if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

her boyfriend is gonna make a documentary about her crash with details on what happened

Comment

Working...
                              X