Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4r70w help

96 5.0L Exploder 2wd, 4r70w trans.

Here's the issue... noticed that the shifts from 2-3 under moderate to heavy acceleration happens only when I let up on the gas a bit. I have read on some explorer forums that the valve body gasket(s) blow out and cause this issue. Further research revealed that it was for the 5r55 transmission. So, I am unsure if this will be my issue as well...

Anyone experience this and if so, what was the fix. I have the gaskets for this transmission, so if there is more to this, I need to know what to get.
    Thanks

I remember seeing a bulletin about erratic shifting related to a dirty MAF sensor. Otherwise you should check for codes and see if the PCM is commanding the 2-3 shift. It could be just a solenoid or it could be a leaking direct drum.

Comment

As far as codes, my obd2 tool didn't show any codes of any sort. I'll give the maf a cleaning. If the drum is leaking, wouldn't I notice more issues? And this sylenoid, what is it I need to look up to buy?

Comment

Just read that this could be caused by a bad accumulator. Springs break frequently. And they have since updated the piston.

Comment

^^^^^^^ you are correct there is a updated 2-3 accumulator piston. Think that you might still have the piston with serviceable seals or bonded piston. Either way it's been updated. A broken spring usually has a harsher shift.

Comment

Interesting... ok, then what in the world would cause this issue I'm having then? I don't wanna tear into this without the proper parts. It's my daily outside of my harley.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

pull valve body and replace 2-3 accumulator piston would the start. iff your up for it, take apart valvebody and make sure all shift valve spring back in to place by opening them with pick or pocket screw driver. after that my guess would be a seal leakdown that powers the direct clutch maybe a grooved direct clutch cylinder caused from the seals on the output shaft or worn direct clutch piston seal.

Comment

I'd call Mike of Mikes Trick Shift if your still having problems. 817-221-2400
                  1990 GT

Comment

Originally posted by F8LSVT View Post
                    I'd call Mike of Mikes Trick Shift if your still having problems. 817-221-2400
                    This.
                    Mike is good people, and probably the best transmission guy in the state, region, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 90MarkVII View Post
                      This.
                      Mike is good people, and probably the best transmission guy in the state, region, etc.
                      Third'd. He just finished my 4r70w.

Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Well, I just might do that. Thanks for passing his info on.

Comment

No problem, he's the best transmission guy I know. He built a 4r70w for my '97 Cobra and I beat the snot outta that car with a 200hp dry kit. Ran 6.90's 1/8 mile never had to do anything to that trans and nothing ever went wrong with it.

I've got a C-4 in my '90 GT he built it drives fine but I've yet to race it. I've got full confidence in it though. So yeah for any kinda daily driver stuff he'll have you covered.
                          1990 GT

Comment

Originally posted by F8LSVT View Post
                            No problem, he's the best transmission guy I know. He built a 4r70w for my '97 Cobra and I beat the snot outta that car with a 200hp dry kit. Ran 6.90's 1/8 mile never had to do anything to that trans and nothing ever went wrong with it.

I've got a C-4 in my '90 GT he built it drives fine but I've yet to race it. I've got full confidence in it though. So yeah for any kinda daily driver stuff he'll have you covered.
                            These stories reinforce my confidence in what I spent working with Mike.
                            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                            X