win 7 file access nightmare...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win 7 file access nightmare...

So our business laptop that has all our business records on it just developed a whale of a problem.

We can't see or access files in our user folder. We know they are there because avast and other programs show them while scanning. If you do a properties of "user" folder, it shows 11.9 GB, 22,800 files and 2400 folders....however, when you browse it, it shows about 9 files and 4 folders. When avast scans "pictures" you can see files being scanned...but if you brown "pictures", it says it's empty.

So I figured this is one of those UAC bugs...and have taken ownership of all 22,000 files in the "user" folder and changed permissions for this "user" to allow full access to all of "user" folder. When I say apply permissions, hit ok, close out and go back to the properties/permissions...NONE of what I just did stays checked. Same goes for making files/folders "read only". checking or unchecking the box works and isn't grayed out...but closing the window and going right back to it shows nothing changed...even after a reboot.

So after reading 300 articles/blogs and forums on the web, none of the solutions have worked. Anyone else had this problem and figured out a way to fix it? I just want access to my own files so I can put them on an external drive and re-install the OS to not use NTFS and UAC.

Thanks!

Boot with a LiveCD and copy the files, or try this http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/.

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
      Boot with a LiveCD and copy the files, or try this http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/.
      computer didnt' come with a CD...

tried the registry update to do right click take ownership. It even ran the script and showed the files being modified....they weren't. My guess is the user profile has been corrupted somehow and even though it shows it as an admin account that is supposed to be able to make file attribute modifications...it isn't.

Comment

Hmm, I would boot from a livecd than (on a usb drive) and copy what is needed to external.
        OR, if you can boot to safe mode open a terminal and copy it manually from there.

EDIT, I didn't mean safe mode I meant the rescue environment.

Comment

there is a virus that changes all files to hidden. have you gone to control panel and set it to where you can see hidden files?

Comment

Originally posted by flybye70ss View Post
            there is a virus that changes all files to hidden. have you gone to control panel and set it to where you can see hidden files?
            That virus is a pain in the butt too.

For giggles, dl anu one of these and run it then see if you're able to see your files.

RKill is a program that was developed at BleepingComputer.com that attempts to terminate known malware processes so that your normal security software can then run and clean your computer of infections. When RKill runs it will kill malware processes and then removes incorrect executable associations and fixes policies that stop us from using certain tools. When finished it will display a log file that shows the processes that were terminated while the program was running.

Comment

All hat malware does is run an attib command on the files. Change your folder options to see hidden files and the rightclick / properties all the folders at the root of the drive and uncheck "hidden".

Comment

Originally posted by flybye70ss View Post
                Before today I didn't have a lot of time with W7...mostly vista. I had been looking for that panel all day to check off hidden files... Thank you. We found most everything except our quickbooks files. I am getting an error message I am looking into now but we have 90 to 95% of everything else.

Again, thanks guys for the help while I still have hair.

Comment

nice

Comment

Osx

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                      Osx
                      is gay

/thread

Comment

Osx
                        Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                        is gay

/thread
                        But Mac's don't get viruses...

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                          Bryan I know Macs can get malware and viruses...but I think a lot of Apple haters have gone out of their way to misinform people about the odds. I have been using my Macbook Pro for well over a year and have used Youtube, email, all kinds of searches, downloaded music and videos...and so far....NOTHING. Had I used my Windows 7 computer for half of the stuff I've done on my Macbook I would have done multiple reinstalls. Not to mention I don't have to sit and wait for 10 minutes everytime I boot up so Windows can download updates and virus definitions. When I turn on my Mac...its ready in 30 seconds....PERIOD. Keep preaching to me that Macs get viruses and malware. I'll let you know when I get one.

Comment

Bryan I know Macs can get malware and viruses...but I think a lot of Apple haters have gone out of their way to misinform people about the odds. I have been using my Macbook Pro for well over a year and have used Youtube, email, all kinds of searches, downloaded music and videos...and so far....NOTHING. Had I used my Windows 7 computer for half of the stuff I've done on my Macbook I would have done multiple reinstalls. Not to mention I don't have to sit and wait for 10 minutes everytime I boot up so Windows can download updates and virus definitions. When I turn on my Mac...its ready in 30 seconds....PERIOD. Keep preaching to me that Macs get viruses and malware. I'll let you know when I get one.
                            part of it is having common sense though man, some people regardless of platform will just browse anything and install anything.

Comment

Easy cheesy, I was just pullin your leg.

Comment

Working...
                              X