Wireless Router Throughput

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Router Throughput

When I was on the phone with my ISP to clear up the DMCA violation issue last month, I ended up raising my speed with them to 15Mbps down(up from 10Mbps), it only costs another buck or two. When she activated it with me on the phone - I ran some speed tests and was hitting 17-18Mbps on speedtest.net (Austin is the server I normally use).

It seems like a few days later the speed fell off, big time - down to 2.5-3Mbps!! For the past few weeks I've been messing around with settings on the router and my wifi card.

With my laptop I am wireless-n (5ghz, only pc on that freq) and it is running around 3Mbps on most servers, and really no change on the 2.4Ghz side. Wired to the router it picks up to about 6Mbps.

The router I am using is a Netgear WNDR3700v1 - which had great editor reviews, but now gets horrible consumer reviews. The thing that gets me is, I swapped in my old Dlink DIR-655 and pretty much got the same results- wired for wired and wireless for wireless.

If I call into the cable company to complain about speed the first thing they do is have me pull the router of the mix - to eliminate the possibility of a bad router. Unfortunately, if I hook the laptop directly to the modem, I am getting 11-12Mbps.

The wireless from my other PC runs in the 3-4Mbps range on the 2.4Ghz side. I haven't tried it wired.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, the laptop's wifi card is an intel 5100 with their latest firmware.

EDIT - My upload speeds are all in the 1.5Mbps area which is where it should be.
    Last edited by 71chevellejohn; 02-06-2011, 08:46 PM.

Can you get your provider to send you a wireless modem to use? Instead of using your own.

The thing I would check in your setup is make sure both modem's ports that communicate between each other is hard set to 100/FULL instead of auto negotiate. In network settings. If both side are auto or one side is auto that will slow your traffic down.
    WRX

Comment

For grins this morning, I ran a speed test and it was in the 7Mbps range.

I'll check the settings when I get back to the house. I did go in and turn off the media server function on the Netgear - some of the netgear forums recommended it.

Comment

I'm still kinda having some issues with the throughput. It turns out one of the problems back when I made this thread was a flaky splitter feeding the modem. I have replaced it and my speeds are now up in the 124-14Mbps rang when directly connected and are around 5-7Mbps through the router.

I've downloaded a version of DD-WRT for the router. Before I install it I was wondering, will DDWRT help the throughput?

I've been aware of the alternate firmware for awhile, but never really looked into the pros of actually installing it.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
        X