so I bought a UPS and it died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so I bought a UPS and it died

From what I've read when I use a ups that is rated for 900 watts I can run over 900 watts just not expect a long battery life whenever power is cut.

So with my 5820 K at 4.5 gigahertz and my GTX 980 TI's running at a moderate overclock it only runs for about 5 minutes before the unit completely shuts off and beeps 4 times. I do not get a battery or overload beep or signal..

So basically no one has ever heard of this even tech support all they can tell me is to buy a bigger ups and that I'm more than likely trying the battery inside I'm pulling so much power.

Am I going to have to buy a $500 UPS? Tech support told me that it wasn't even a bad unit and not even to try to trade it in for another one. So before I go buy a different brand I want to know what you guys thought.
    sigpic

Most run of the mill UPS' don't have a long run time under heavy power.

This is an example of a 865 watt APC UPS.

Comment

I have 5 Apc s10 ups and the life is pretty decent. I have multiple pc and tvs hooked to them.
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I couldn't care less about battery or life, I was wanting to use it as a surge protector for the pc. What good is 900w 1500va if it cant power one pc and monitor at full load? lol
        sigpic

Comment

So you can have the pc automatically shut down when it switches to battery power so you don't lose any data.

Comment

How did you test it? The best practice is to open the breaker that supplies the outlet instead of pulling the cord out of the wall. Does your UPS have a display that shows you how much load you are putting on it? Do you know what size/age of the battery is that it came with?

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
              How did you test it? The best practice is to open the breaker that supplies the outlet instead of pulling the cord out of the wall. Does your UPS have a display that shows you how much load you are putting on it? Do you know what size/age of the battery is that it came with?
              This. I'd do some testing. Open that sucker up and have a root around. Most likely you can find the problem and fix it. Break out the voltage meter, it may only be a dead battery, that you can replace.
              WH

Comment

I have every component of my HT gear behind multiple 1500VA/900W CyberPower AVR Series UPS'. They've been rock solid and that get loaded pretty hard during a 2 hour movie. Off commercial power, the most you're going to get with any consumer grade UPS is about 3-5 minutes at full load.

I started out with APC and had 2 bite the dust in less than 6 months. Same Power Factor rating as my current CyberPower units, but APC would overload and trip all the time. I know people swear by APC, but they don't seem to work well for me.

The big Tripp Lite units are reliable, but tend to be noisy.

Belkin is garbage.

Comment

I run my HT and Synology off of a Cyberpower 1500watt (PR1500LCDRTXL2U). I'm selling my Tripp Lite 1500va 1000w (smart1500rm2u) if anyone is interested. The fans are always on so it just doesn't work good for my application.

Comment

Just add a few car batteries to the circuit and enjoy.

Comment

Here is the specs on mine. It is 700w

33 minutes
                      (half load)
                      or
                      12 minutes
                      (full load)
                      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Well I bought another just to see if I got a bad unit. Same exact thing.

Its showing 120v at the wall and 4/5 bars on the LOAD LCD. I get about 30 seconds of overclock benchmark..

I guess I need a 1500w UPS realistically. And need to spend 800 bucks..

The lcd load screen only shows 80% then it resets.
                        Last edited by FunFordCobra; 09-25-2015, 08:40 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

I have the 1000VA version 5CS and it works great. I put a different fan in it and it is almost silent now.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NQMESS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o02_s00[/ame]

I have a Synology DS2413 with 8 drives, Intel NUC, 21-inch monitor, 8 port switch and it only pulls around 150W with everything running.

Comment

Hell man Im not sure if 1080w will do it if 900 wont run it. I even tried with zero overclocks. Only thing I can think of is my wall power source is so dirty in my apartment that the voltage variables are shutting it down.

I need to plug a monitor in it as well and 900 cant even handle the pc alone..
                            bleh!
                            sigpic

Comment

The pc at idle should not draw near that much.
                              2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Working...
                              X