Beef vs. buffalo brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef vs. buffalo brisket

So I've cooked 3 beef briskets on the grill and think I did an OK job on them. I've always liked buffalo burgers, so wondered how does a buffalo brisket smoke/grill on a BGE knockoff grill? I know the meat is drier, so a burger is usually cooked to a medium rare, is the same true with a brisket? Would I cook it to 185'ish still, for hours and hours at about 225-250?

Yes, I'm too lazy to Google it, LOL, so I'm asking the cooking experts here!

Sorry but I have no idea on this

Comment

I don't either. I don't know that I'd want a buffalo brisket, honestly. I'm afraid it would be too lean. The whole brisket thing, back to it's roots, was an unusable part of the cow. It was tough, fatty, etc. Inedible, more or less. That's how BBQ was born way back when. But you need that fat when cooking a brisket. It's what makes it tender and moist.
      Last edited by bcoop; 07-10-2013, 10:03 AM.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Loks liek it cooks in about half to 3/4 the time of beef.

Use a meat thermometer to check on the buffalo roast's temperature. The roast should reach 135 degrees F before it is removed from the smoker. Make sure the smoker stays at a consistent 225 degrees F during the cooking process and adjust the heat accordingly throughout. The roast will take six to eight hours to cook, depending on its weight.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_8340454_smok...#ixzz2YhP2q2xI

and for oven cooking:

Buffalo Meat and Cooking Time
        This meat has very low fat content - almost 76% less fat as compared to beef. Hence, there is very less fat to act as an insulator to heat and delay the process of cooking. So, it cooks faster and overcooking can take away the tenderness of the meat. Thus, it becomes very necessary to cook buffalo meat at low to medium temperatures. The ideal cooking range for buffalo meat is considered to be rare to medium, while the internal cooking temperature should range between 135° F - 155° F.
        Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/cooki...-of-meats.html

I may try a small one, see how it turns out. Worst case, I'll be going out for dinner that night...

Comment

I would give it a shot. Fuck it. It would just be expensive, compared to a regular brisket.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Is it me or does that sound like a really low internal temperature to cook to? And being lean on fat would make me think the buffalo brisket wouldn't be very tender/moist. But I'll be interested to hear what your results are.

Comment

Hell, I may go get one Friday night and try to smoke it Saturday since I'm a bachelor this weekend. Buffalo does cook to a much lower temp, like burgers are always served medium rare, otherwise they dry out.

Read a couple BBQ forums where some people marinate them over night, one cooked it about 4-5 hours, lowered the grill temp, wrapped it in foil and poured apple juice or Capt. Morgan's on it, placed back on the smoker for a couple hours.

Comment

if i was going to do a buffalo brisket, i would treat it like the driest piece of beef brisket. heavy smoke for a shorter time, wrap and put in an aluminum foil pan and finish in oven allowing it to swim in the limited fat that drips.

id like to try it before spending anytime making it.
                www.hppmotorsports.com
                ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                  Read a couple BBQ forums where some people marinate them over night, one cooked it about 4-5 hours, lowered the grill temp, wrapped it in foil and poured apple juice or Capt. Morgan's on it, placed back on the smoker for a couple hours.
                  This is similar to what i was going to suggest, not the wrapping in foil thing though. I was going to suggest a spray bottle with olive oil and apple cider vinegar and go spray it occasionally to keep it from drying out.

Comment

Hell, I may go get one Friday night and try to smoke it Saturday since I'm a bachelor this weekend.
                    Damn, I'd like to come and try that out , but I'm going out of town with Lyn...
                    Originally posted by Silverback
                    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Hell, I may go get one Friday night and try to smoke it Saturday since I'm a bachelor this weekend.
                      Time and address, I know you like like 5 blocks from me.

Comment

Hell, I may go get one Friday night and try to smoke it Saturday since I'm a bachelor this weekend. Buffalo does cook to a much lower temp, like burgers are always served medium rare, otherwise they dry out.

That's good to know Rob. Let us know how it turns out. And don't forget to post some pics!

Comment

Bought a buffalo brisket today, throw it on the grill tomorrow and see how it turns out. I did also get some turkey bacon, to toss on top and get a little fat dripping in. Won't do a lot of it tho, don't want turkey taste mixing in with the brisket, if that's even possible.

Comment

Post up some pics of it if you get a chance Rob, I'd like to see how it turns out.

Comment

Will do!

it's in the fridge now, wanna see that? LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X