Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Star Collision in Mesquite

Is anyone familiar with this facility?

I discovered some pretty serious paint issues on my '13 Honda Civic coupe this weekend. After some googling, I found that Honda extended the paint warranty on '06-'13 models to 7 years from original build date, and unlimited miles. I stopped by Honda Cars of Rockwall today and had them take a look at it. They initiated the protocol, taking pictures, etc. to get it approved by Honda. They use Pro Star Collision in Mesquite. I'm wondering what their work is like.

There is significant cracking (crows feet) on the hood of the car and the Roof, truck, Tops of both front fenders and the rear quarter panels all have a cloudy appearance.

Honda will cover all affected surfaces, pertaining to the metal body panels, and their protocol is to take the affected panels down to bare metal and start over. It does not include the painting of any other body panels. So, if the doors are not affected, then they will not cover painting them, nor does it cover the front or rear bumper cover...
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

TL: DR

Paint is fucked up
    Honda should be repainting my car
    The dealer I approached uses Pro Star Collision in Mesquite

Does Pro Star Collision in Mesquite suck?
    Last edited by black2002ls; 09-19-2017, 01:25 PM.

Comment

what does yelp and google say?

Comment

It's a Honda. Just wrap it or plasti-dip it?

Comment

Originally posted by jammeejamm View Post
          what does yelp and google say?
          There are a few reviews on each, all are 4-5 star reviews. Though I was hoping someone here had some experience with them.

Originally posted by 1carcrazyguy View Post
          I've thought about plasti dipping the top white becuase it is a black car. However, the paint on the hood is cracking and will eventually flake and come off. Not going to do me much good if there is plasti dip on top of it! It may just be a Honda, however, I drive it every day and try to take a little bit of pride in what I drive.

Comment

If a dealer uses them you can bet they are pretty damn good. The dealership has to stand behind the body shops work. They are not going to use someone that is just ok.

Comment

Originally posted by 1carcrazyguy View Post
              Flat black with 1 yellow strips and yellow wheels
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

I'd rather they paint the whole car. Matching that many panels will be a pita. If they won't cover, maybe they cut a deal for the rest?

Comment

Originally posted by sdun View Post
                  If a dealer uses them you can bet they are pretty damn good. The dealership has to stand behind the body shops work. They are not going to use someone that is just ok.
                  This is what I'm hoping. Though I've seen some terrible work that was contracted through dealers

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                  Flat black with 1 yellow strips and yellow wheels
                  Not a chance in hell

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                  I'd rather they paint the whole car. Matching that many panels will be a pita. If they won't cover, maybe they cut a deal for the rest?
                  This is EXACTLY where I'm at. I took another look at it last night and the only areas, that are metal panels anyway, are the doors. The warranty and repair protocols do not allow for any plastic panels to be re-painted as they aren't affected, nor will it cover any unaffected panels. The protocol also specifies that those panels are to be masked off, essentially not allowing for any blend time. So that would leave the front and rear bumper covers and the mirrors. I'm going to try and get over there on lunch today and get the estimate done, I will be having a conversation with them on what the additional would be to spray any areas that aren't included in the estimate. I'm hoping that the amount of time spent masking those areas off will be about the same as prepping them for paint, even if it is just a scuff and shoot, I'd be better off. The paint is Crystal black pearl so getting it to match is going to be a pita if done afterwards.

Comment

Just went by the body shop. The owner did the estimate and he said he has done a few of these.

I pulled the service bulletin for this warranty extension and it had some pictures attached of the conditions that are covered. The clouding/hazing it shows, is extreme. After looking at the SB, I was not surprised when the guy told me that they more than likely would not cover anything more than the hood, though it was likely the other panels would develop the haze at some point. He said a good buff and wax would gt rid of the cloudiness that I have and offered to do touch ups and buff the whole car while he had it for $100. He also noticed that the window moldings along the doors were cracking and fallen apart so he went ahead and put that on the estimate to be replaced, as he has done those under warranty in the past as well.

Not quite what I had hoped for, especially since the panels will most likely develop the conditions required at some point in time. I guess as long as it happens before december of '19, I'm covered.

Comment

The wife messed up the Lexus SUV rear bumper cap.3 stage pearl nebula gray. Being a dumbass ordered some prepainted part. Installed it doesn't match. Is it going to be impossible to match this color? What's my best bet on a pro job? Dealership? I was trying to be a cheapass because she hit my truck at the same time so had to fix that. Also are these urethane caps repaintable? Or is it best to just get a new one primed ready for paint? Thx for any help. I just want this back to near perfect with a close match on the paint

Comment

you could talk with the bodyshop on doing some extra work to repaint the other panels.

Comment

May just to accept that it's never gonna be a perfect match. Gonna take it in and get some estimates and see if maybe it can be matched better. Thanks

Comment

Got my car back this morning. On first look, everything looks pretty good. It had some dust on it from sitting over the weekend. The hood was painted and the rest of the car was to be buffed.

It appears that they may have only buffed the areas/panels with the hazy sections. There were a few locations with minor scuffs that should have come off with a buff that are still there. I also noticed some marks from bugs, due to lack of care for too long. Not sure if those should have been removed with a buff or not.

I'm going to hit the areas that were not painted this weekend with ironX, clay, and then colinite 915. Hopefully that will take care of the swirls.

Comment

Well, this saga continues. I called a little over a month ago to drop my car off for, yet more paint work. Now the trunk lid and tops of both quarter panels are turning white. All areas that I reported previously, that they told me were going to have the issue, but were not developed enough for Honda to take care of. It seems that the dealership I used the first time around is either completely incompetent or doesn't wan't to deal with the issue. They had trouble communicating what I needed to do to get my issue taken care of, and are now claiming that Honda no longer allows them to use an outside body shop and they have to send me to a dealership with a body shop on site.

This poses a couple of issues for me.

#1 There isn't a dealership close to me with a body shop.
                              #2 The paint work from the first body shop is now turning to shit. There is a shit ton of texture on the hood of the car. (I'll add a pic from my phone shortly)
                              #3 This will most likely lead to me having to drop my car off at two separate body shops to get both issues taken care of.

I am completely and utterly disgusted with the quality of this car. Maybe I was jaded when I as a senior in high school and a young adult with my 1997 civic. I had ZERO issues out of that car. I've had several issues with this car. The two biggest ones so far are the A/C compressor shitting the bed, and this paint issue that I am about to have to deal with a second time, and will most likely have to deal with at least once more before the paint warranty extension expires in March of 2020.

I have called Honda Cars NA and opened a case with them directly. I'm not sure if anything will come of it. It would be nice for them to own up to the whole issue, the shitty clear coat and/or paint they used on these cars, the fact that their shitty material caused the issue on the hood because I had to have it repainted through one of their dealerships, and send me out to get a couple of estimates to get the whole damn thing re-painted, or hell, cut me a check and I'll go on about my merry little way. Unfortunately what will most likely happen is they are going to direct me back to the dealer level. I'm going to have to deal with some other dumb ass who doesn't want to deal with it, get another sub par paint job, and have to find the time to fight the body shop that did the work the first time around to fix their fuck up.

Here is what is going on with the hood. You can see the "circle" around the reflection of my head. I haven't looked at it extensively, however, these are all on the drivers side of the hood.

Last edited by black2002ls; 10-08-2018, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X