38 Super?? But why???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 38 Super?? But why???

So same buddy of mine looking for a 1911 wants to get it in .38 Super. Never understood the point of this caliber now a days. I know it's a powerful round and it used to be popular but is it still and why?

38 Super is longer than 9mm and thus feeds better in the 1911 design, plus it can be loaded much hotter for the same projectile. That said, it's fine in a single stack design but in a double stack mag they have feeding issues because the rim on the case gets hung up against the other rounds in the mag. 38 SuperComp is VERY popular in USPSA shooting and is what I shoot but it's not commercially available for the most part so you have to reload. The only real difference is the 38 Super is semi-rimmed while the 38SC is rimless meaning the rim of the case is flush with the rest of the case which eliminates the hanging issues in a doublestack mag. Super used to be really popular in USPSA about 20 years ago but no longer is and only some of the much older guys with old guns still use it.

Nowadays you can get a pretty reliable 9mm 1911 so ammo will be far more available and cheaper, might as well go that route.
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Have a Colt 1911 commander in 9mm. Shot it's 9mm super, cousin, side by side once. I want one too.
      Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
      There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

38 super is a fun round to shoot. That said I couldn’t justify keeping it around long term either. 9mm +P is quite similar and 9mm platforms are ubiquitous.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
          Have a Colt 1911 commander in 9mm. Shot it's 9mm super, cousin, side by side once. I want one too.
          That ur bbq gun?
          sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
          🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Lol. I have no BBQ guns. As a matter of fact, no guns at all. They all sank in that unfortunate boating accident.
            Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
            There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by soap View Post
              That ur bbq gun?
              I never thought about having a barbecue gun before but if I do decide to open carry at a bbq I am going to look like the dad from Boondock Saints when he came to kill them.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Thinking about getting one of those $199 surplus star BM pistols. I’m just putting a high polish on the frame and slide and make that my BBQ Gun. And add some fake pearl grips.

🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Thinking about getting one of those $199 surplus star BM pistols. I’m just putting a high polish on the frame and slide and make that my BBQ Gun. And add some fake pearl grips.

Comment

Yup. Just like that.

🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                      38 Super is longer than 9mm and thus feeds better in the 1911 design, plus it can be loaded much hotter for the same projectile. That said, it's fine in a single stack design but in a double stack mag they have feeding issues because the rim on the case gets hung up against the other rounds in the mag. 38 SuperComp is VERY popular in USPSA shooting and is what I shoot but it's not commercially available for the most part so you have to reload. The only real difference is the 38 Super is semi-rimmed while the 38SC is rimless meaning the rim of the case is flush with the rest of the case which eliminates the hanging issues in a doublestack mag. Super used to be really popular in USPSA about 20 years ago but no longer is and only some of the much older guys with old guns still use it.

Nowadays you can get a pretty reliable 9mm 1911 so ammo will be far more available and cheaper, might as well go that route.
                      Interesting info and thanks for sharing.

Comment

Here's a bitchin' pair of super 38 BBQ guns for you!!

Beathard Engraving engraved consecutive serial number pair of hand-engraved Colt Custom 1911 in 38 super.

I think I'm in love.. Those scallops patterns look like the scales on the koi on my tattoo.
                        Last edited by Chili; 09-02-2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

LOL! I'll have to show it him.

Comment

Those in shoulder holders would be great!

EDIT: HOLSTERS, fuck you auto correct!
                            Last edited by BradM; 09-02-2018, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                              So same buddy of mine looking for a 1911 wants to get it in .38 Super. Never understood the point of this caliber now a days. I know it's a powerful round and it used to be popular but is it still and why?
                              Well when you have 25 or so 1911's, they can't all be .45

Good gun for the price but do yourself a favor and buy a spring kit that includes the magazine spring. And be careful of hammer bite.

Comment

Working...
                              X