Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much liability coverage do you carry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much liability coverage do you carry?

Couple years back I upped my state minimums to $50,000 but almost had an accident that made me rethink that coverage.
    My trucks fuel pump died on my truck (its buzzed for 2 seconds 6 months ago so my fault for forgetting about it) while doing 75...ish on I-35. Instantly lost power brakes and steering. At that moment the brand spanking new paper plated Porsche 911 in front of me slams on his brakes to miss a coke can. I really had to stand on the pedal to stop the truck and wrestle it to the construction damaged shoulder.
    But that got me thinking, if I would have hit him I am sure it would have been a total and even the base 911s have to run $70K+? Even trucks are over 50k now.
    Ive only had one accident in my life where I was at fault (still contend the bitch cut me off) but with the cost of new cars it seems state minimums are nowhere near enough at $25,000 and even my $50,000 wont cover a large portion of cars.
    So what do most of you have for liability coverage? Figure there are a lot of nice cars in Dallas so I would expect nobody to have just the minimums.
    Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

used to be required to carry $300k... I slacked off a year or two after I quit that job, but you're right, it might be time to bump it back up. I think we're at 100k or so
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
      Couple years back I upped my state minimums to $50,000 but almost had an accident that made me rethink that coverage.
      My trucks fuel pump died on my truck (its buzzed for 2 seconds 6 months ago so my fault for forgetting about it) while doing 75...ish on I-35. Instantly lost power brakes and steering. At that moment the brand spanking new paper plated Porsche 911 in front of me slams on his brakes to miss a coke can. I really had to stand on the pedal to stop the truck and wrestle it to the construction damaged shoulder.
      But that got me thinking, if I would have hit him I am sure it would have been a total and even the base 911s have to run $70K+? Even trucks are over 50k now.
      Ive only had one accident in my life where I was at fault (still contend the bitch cut me off) but with the cost of new cars it seems state minimums are nowhere near enough at $25,000 and even my $50,000 wont cover a large portion of cars.
      So what do most of you have for liability coverage? Figure there are a lot of nice cars in Dallas so I would expect nobody to have just the minimums.
      We have 100/300/100

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Full coverage on both vehicles (one is paid off). I have $100,000 in property damage and $1million in bodily injury.
        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

If your rates don't jump too bad, raise the limits. It can't hurt. More coverage is always better. I think we carry 100k or something like that.

That being said, that's why people carry uninsured/underinsured insurance. As long as someone carries that, it would make up the difference.

As long as you have the state mandated minimums, I don't think the other insurance company could come after you for anything, but a fancy lawyer might. Depends on if you have anything worth the effort.

Comment

Mine really wasn't that much more going to 500k from 100k.

I carry the highest deductible though, no windshield coverage, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotortrash View Post
              If your rates don't jump too bad, raise the limits. It can't hurt. More coverage is always better. I think we carry 100k or something like that.

That being said, that's why people carry uninsured/underinsured insurance. As long as someone carries that, it would make up the difference.

As long as you have the state mandated minimums, I don't think the other insurance company could come after you for anything, but a fancy lawyer might. Depends on if you have anything worth the effort.
              Well its more about not screwing others over. Some people work hard to have their nice cars and most uninsured policies are also $25,000. So if I hit a 100k car and have 50k in coverage and they have 25k in underinsured then that's 25k out of someones pocket. I don't have pockets that deep and wouldn't wish for the person I hit to have to pay for it.
              I am going to up it but was thinking like 75k or so but was curious what the norm is these days. I think my insurance goes up $10 a month for every 20k increase or something similar.
              Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Saw a 99ish taurus hit a brand new massarati with paper plates on 377 rear ended him about a month ago. Wonder who takes up the slack for something like that.

The guy in the taurus obviously is at fault but I doubt he had anything more than liability. The guy with the massarati is the one that gets screwed or would his insurance cover a 160k+ underinsured/uninsured motorist?

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
                  Saw a 99ish taurus hit a brand new massarati with paper plates on 377 rear ended him about a month ago. Wonder who takes up the slack for something like that.

The guy in the taurus obviously is at fault but I doubt he had anything more than liability. The guy with the massarati is the one that gets screwed or would his insurance cover a 160k+ underinsured/uninsured motorist?
                  Chooo$$$Chooo$$$ don't care!

Just buy 2 more (matching, obviously).
                  Originally posted by Buzzo
                  Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Ill be damned if I am gonna carry anything less than 100/300/100.

Comment

100/300/100 here, and the sweet thing is I don't have a car right now, so it's extra retarded Obamacare cheap.
                      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post

That's why you carry uninsured/underinsured and if if his limits are high enough yes they'll cover it.

I carry 1mil/1mil/100
                        With an additional 1million umbrella

Comment

Originally posted by Rotortrash View Post

Depends on the jurisdiction, but if you carry a $100 policy and a lawsuit yields $101 judgement, the insured would have to pony up the $1, and in some cases the court costs.

Comment

I have 100/300/100.

Comment

If you're driving in a new 911 I would hope they're carrying more then 25k in uninsured underinsured motorist.

Comment

Working...
                              X