Any board Electricians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any board Electricians?

Have a co-worker that needs to have her whole electric panel replaced at her house. Anyone here do that or know of anyone that knows? The panel is from the 70's so she was quoted $1800 to replace it. Trying to keep it cheaply as possible!

I have my shocker certificate. When is she available?

Is that pricing for a panel and breakers only? A single-phase 200A Main Siemens panel loaded (40 breaker spaces) with breakers wouldn't even cost half of that at Home Depot
    Last edited by TeeShock; 02-04-2014, 01:16 PM.

Comment

RSTY PNS or however you say it has been recommended in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lurch View Post
        RSTY PNS or however you say it has been recommended in the past.

^this

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
          Is that pricing for a panel and breakers only? A single-phase 200A Main Siemens panel loaded (40 breaker spaces) with breakers wouldn't even cost half of that at Home Depot
          I believe its everything to do with the panel.

Comment

Also I pm'd Rusty.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
              I believe its everything to do with the panel.
              I'd get a second price on that...

Comment

1800 for entire panel is ridiculously cheap. Next door neighbor had his done and he wanted a special install for standby generator, his costed right under 5k installed with generator hooked up.

Comment

$1800 is crazy expensive. You can buy a GE panel 200 amp 30 circuit (something like that) and all the breakers you could need for $250. This is probably 3-4 hours of labor. I just rewired my whole house and have less than $2k including paying an electrician to run a new 2/0 set from the meter to the new panel ($650 for wire and labor... wire is $2.50/ft for each wire and it was a 45' run)

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                    $1800 is crazy expensive. You can buy a GE panel 200 amp 30 circuit (something like that) and all the breakers you could need for $250. This is probably 3-4 hours of labor. I just rewired my whole house and have less than $2k including paying an electrician to run a new 2/0 set from the meter to the new panel ($650 for wire and labor... wire is $2.50/ft for each wire and it was a 45' run)
                    It also depends on if the panel is being moved to another location in house. Many houses built in the 70's and 80's had the main panel in the master bedroom closet, which now is a code violation.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
                      It also depends on if the panel is being moved to another location in house. Many houses built in the 70's and 80's had the main panel in the master bedroom closet, which now is a code violation.
                      If it is indeed a master closet, then yes it would be a code violation. Ours is in a "coat closet" from the 60s at the front door to our house. We replaced it and took out the coat hanging rod and it is now a "mechanical room". Is the city going to come back and check if I add a hanging rod? No, but the point is there are ways around it.

Id like to know the reason to have the panel replaced. Moving a panel to another side of the house would almost entail rewiring the whole house. You could junction box the hell out of it to an extent.

Comment

I wouldn't put anything other that a Square D panel and breakers in anything I own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
                        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                          I wouldn't put anything other that a Square D panel and breakers in anything I own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
                          X2

The original quote is ridiculously high!
                          The hand that feeds, bleeds.

Comment

Give this guy a call...he is my neighbor, I worked with him a bit while I was unemployed. Yandell electric, his name is Dave. 9728966377, he's fast and very reasonable on his pricing.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
                            G'Day Mate

Comment

It's in the garage.

Comment

Working...
                              X