DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Back Porch

The Back Porch General Discussions for topics that don't belong in other forums.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #41
Stephen
Extremely custom title

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefed88 View Post
Costco now had kirkland signature synthetic for 24.99 for 10qts.
Iíll be trying that next, thatís crazy cheap!
Old 12-20-2019, 06:43 AM   #42
IHaveAMustang
RIP DFWstangs.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefed88 View Post
Costco now had kirkland signature synthetic for 24.99 for 10qts.
Man that's essentially a 2fer1 oil deal. Has anyone done reviews on it and it's content/detergents?

As for the question on intervals:

1966 Mustang - Once a year (I only put 500 miles on it a year - if I am lucky)
2007 Tundra - Every 3,000 (used solely to Tow camper / haul stuff) - That being said, it only gets 1500-2000 miles put on it a year
2008 MDX - When Acura maintenance minder tells me to, usually right at or over 5,000 miles
2014 Scion tC - Just rebuilt this car and will be doing 5,000 w/full synthetic.

As far as cheapo oil vs Royal Purple. Maybe I have my dad's reasoning/old school blood in me, but I don't feel confident in oil being a trustworthy lubricating substance past 5,000 miles. He tells me the horror stories of the 60's to 70's and you couldn't trust oil past 3,000 miles and cars (other than their hatchback Civic) wore out before 100K.

Obviously times/materials/technology have changed, but why risk it past 5? It's $15 and 30 minutes of your time.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #43
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex ģ

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
As far as cheapo oil vs Royal Purple. Maybe I have my dad's reasoning/old school blood in me, but I don't feel confident in oil being a trustworthy lubricating substance past 5,000 miles. He tells me the horror stories of the 60's to 70's and you couldn't trust oil past 3,000 miles and cars (other than their hatchback Civic) wore out before 100K.

Obviously times/materials/technology have changed, but why risk it past 5? It's $15 and 30 minutes of your time.
This right here, I never go past 5k-7k miles, even using synthetic. I'm sure GRAPE can confirm what a mechanic/truck series driver once told me. He had a NASTRUCK and trans am race car, he was changing the oil after a race and the the oil was clean looking, I was like, you can't get another race out of it, your oil looks new (dual oil filter set up), he was like don't let the looks fool you, its been broken down, the filters are keeping it clean looking. That race motor is expensive and oil is cheap. He only used Valvoline too...
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #44
Murph Tang
Time Served

Change every 3k using conventional.

I hear all the arguements its too soon but I don't care its my money.

I love my cars and fresh oil just makes me feel better.

1992 Taurus with whining alternator pulley
Murph Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:01 AM   #45
line-em-up
N Memory of Mike 12/27/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph Tang View Post
Change every 3k using conventional.

I hear all the arguements its too soon but I don't care its my money.

I love my cars and fresh oil just makes me feel better.
I am bad about not changing my. Sometimes, it will go over 10k and once over 15k. However, I do use full synthetic so that I don't have to change it as often and it doesn't break down as fast. I have had several cars with over 300k miles and none of them had any engine issues like smoking or using oil. My 95 Toyota has 444k and it doesn't smoke or use much oil between changes.

20 years ago, I was sold on synthetic when I accidentally discovered that it would stick to the metal overnight and not drip off. I had changed the oil in my push mower the night before and when I checked it the next morning before mowing, it showed up real high on the dipstick. I thought I had overfilled it somehow, but was sure that I hadn't. Then, I realized it was from moving the mower around the night before and it never slid off of the dipstick.
line-em-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:33 PM   #46
Stephen
Extremely custom title

Regular oil is change at 3k as itís already black by then.. full synthetic seems to last way longer.. Itís normally still very clean at 5k and I keep a close eye on it after and my anxiety just wonít let me go past 7-8k (I think Iím stuck in the old Dino oil days).. but even when I drain at those miles itís kinda dark but not black.. itís like a very clean dark if that makes any sense..
Old 12-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #47
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Send a message via Skype™ to Tx Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Regular oil is change at 3k as itís already black by then.. full synthetic seems to last way longer.. Itís normally still very clean at 5k and I keep a close eye on it after and my anxiety just wonít let me go past 7-8k (I think Iím stuck in the old Dino oil days).. but even when I drain at those miles itís kinda dark but not black.. itís like a very clean dark if that makes any sense..
I've read numerous articles about the ability to run 15-20k on your standard synthetic, you just need to change the filter every 5-8k depending on the conditions you typically drive in.
Tx Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #48
War Machine
Lifer

Castrol edge and Purolator filter
War Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #49
Gasser64
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Back to bobistheoilguy, they'll tell you that they could make a filter that would clog in 1k miles. From all that junk that it removed from your oil. So maybe they could make that filter 5x larger and it would keep your oil squeaky clean. But then the oil wore out and lost it's viscosity.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:18 PM   #50
renold5
Punk Ass Newbie

Rotella if Mobil 1 is not available.
renold5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #51
mikeb
Lifer

Pennzoil blurred the lines on what constitutes a synthetic oil when they sued (and lost) claiming that Castrol was marketing their Syntec oil as a synthetic oil even though it wasn't made from a group 4 PAO base stock - it was made from highly refined group 3 base stocks.

The court decision may not have been that far off - the bad old days of coking up a motor on waxy Pennzoil or Valvoline are over (unless you never change it). Any group 3 base stock based oil meeting the current API rating is a very good oil.

I personally use Mobil 1 in everything because I've had zero issues running it. My old Jeep also gets a can of STP added in because it has a flat tappet cam and needs the zinc. Its got 258,000 miles on it and its still going.
mikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:36 PM   #52
kingjason
Notorious PIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
I've read numerous articles about the ability to run 15-20k on your standard synthetic, you just need to change the filter every 5-8k depending on the conditions you typically drive in.
This. My buddys dad ran a very upstanding shop in Cedar Hill at one point. He changed his synthetic ever 10k with filter changes in the middle. He sent his oil out for analysis all the time and it was always in good shape. I use Mobile One Synthetic in things I change myself. Hell I just put Mobile 1 synthetic ATF in my Z3 and now it shifts like butter. Really smoothed up the ole 5 speed. That car came from the factory 19 years ago recommending 10k oil changes. The tranny was supposed to be lifetime never needing service, but well, it liked the new juice. Although I think I saw that meant never serviced during the warranty service period.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:41 AM   #53
SS Junk
Lifer

I drove an '85 Camaro from 23K to 210K using Pennzoil. Faithful oil changes and even though it was a V6 I dogged the shit out of it. Now use Quaker State for the cars and Rotella T5 for the bike.
SS Junk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #54
Grape
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Modena View Post
This right here, I never go past 5k-7k miles, even using synthetic. I'm sure GRAPE can confirm what a mechanic/truck series driver once told me. He had a NASTRUCK and trans am race car, he was changing the oil after a race and the the oil was clean looking, I was like, you can't get another race out of it, your oil looks new (dual oil filter set up), he was like don't let the looks fool you, its been broken down, the filters are keeping it clean looking. That race motor is expensive and oil is cheap. He only used Valvoline too...
race oils are always clean because they have no detergents, detergents can make them detonate..........same reason why folks should stay away from diesel oil in high performance stuff. however, our engines we build i tell our customers, if it looks and smells fine, it probably is. and this oil is in engines that make over 3.5 hp per inch N/A. and that valvoline stuff is decent but technology has passed it by, nobody runs crazy loose bearing clearances anymore that require a 20/50. most are using mobil 1 race 0-50.....atleast we are in the indycar deal.

Tags
nay sez no lube needed, nay steal used@vatozone, nay use coconut oil, nay uses afro sheen, naynay uses soul-glo, svo invented slick50