I just found the goodness that is a sweet potato

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just found the goodness that is a sweet potato

OK, ever since I was a kid, I never ate sweet potatoes, mostly since I'm diabetic and it has the word sweet in it (mental thing), and I never like sweet foods really. Well shit, I've been missing out!

I bought 3 taters to try and grill different ways. Last night I tried 2 different ways of cooking them. First was in foil, sliced the taters liek chips and poured melted butter and Sugar twin brown suger over it. Cooked on the grill for maybe 15 minutes. Damnit, those fuckers were good!

Second method was sliced long ways and coated with olive oil and dashed cayenne pepper over them. Pretty good too, nice lttle kick with the pepper, and the sweetness of the taters went well.

Still have one more tater to try something with. Anyone have any suggestions?

I did boil the potatoes first, for about 10 minutes. Seems like all the things I found on line say to do that first.

May try to not boil this one, cut it up and season with cajun spice, grill in foil and see what it turns out like.

Cube up a sweet potato (no larger than 1cm cubes), put it into a bag with olive oil, salt, pepper and a bit of montreal steak seasoning and shake it up to coat.

Dice up a bit of onion and crush some garlic.

Heat a skillet (not a non stick one) with a bit of olive oil. Toss in the onions and garlic. Once they are to your liking, toss in the potatoes and let them sear/crisp up, then move em around and try and get the sides to have brown on them (this is tough, but with practice isn't too bad).

Comment

sweet potato french fries.....enjoy.
      also, Sonic Sweet tater tots
      May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
      Semper Fi

Comment

I like using tony chachere's on sweet potatoes that are sliced really thin and baked in the oven.

Comment

I had a bad ass recipe for chipotle/cream sweet potato gratin on dfwstangs, but I deleted the thread when the flapheads took over so they couldn't reap the awesomeness

I'll get the recipe when I'm in Colorado and post it
          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

If I am wrong, someone can correct me, but I was told by a dietician that there is enough dietary fiber in a sweet potato that it offsets a lot of the carbs.

Stevo
            Originally posted by SSMAN
            ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
              If I am wrong, someone can correct me, but I was told by a dietician that there is enough dietary fiber in a sweet potato that it offsets a lot of the carbs.

Stevo
              Not quite.
              They do have fiber in them, but the average size has about 35 grams of carbs, of which 3-4 grams is fiber.
              Sweet potatoes are the most nutritious vegetable there is though(mainly Vitamin A) and offers a very low GI rating.
              The carbs are also considered complex, not simple.

Kinda funny too because I as well stayed shy of them, until about a year or so ago.
              I've been HOOKED ever since!
              Good find, enjoy!

Comment

Need to get a few things so I can try this recipe out. hell, anything with cilantro in it has to be good!

Got it here
                GRILLED SWEET POTATOES WITH CILANTRO
                SAUCE

Read more about it at https://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,175...246192,00.html
                Content Copyright © 2012 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

CILANTRO SAUCE:

1 c. low-fat plain yogurt
                1/2 c. sour cream
                1 fresh jalapeno or other hot chili pepper, cored, seeded, and very finely chopped
                1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
                2 tbsp. grated raw onion
                3 tbsp. bottled salsa (hot or mild)

In a bowl, stir together the yogurt and sour cream. When the mixture is smooth, add the jalapeno or hot pepper, cilantro, onion, and salsa. Stir again, and when the sauce is well blended, cover it tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes (you can store this sauce for up to 2 days).

SWEET POTATOES:

6 lg. sweet potatoes, rinsed, with skins intact
                1/4 c. olive oil
                Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Light the grill.
                Cut the sweet potatoes lengthwise into 8 spears each (you will have 4 dozen all together). Set them, skin down, on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush the cut sides with oil.

When the coals turn gray, place the spears on the grill, cut sides down. Cook the potatoes for about 8 minutes, turning them often, until they are charred in spots and cooked through (test them with the tip of a knife to make sure they're soft).

Arrange the potatoes on a large platter and serve with the cilantro dipping sauce.

Comment

I used to hate sweat potatoes but now that I'm older I can't get enough of the damn things. Everytime we go to a sit down restaurant I ask if they have sweet potato fries.
                  2004 Suzuki DL650
                  1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Im lazy when it comes to cooking, so I buy me them sweet potato fries from the store! Yessir good!

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                      I had a bad ass recipe for chipotle/cream sweet potato gratin on dfwstangs, but I deleted the thread when the flapheads took over so they couldn't reap the awesomeness

I'll get the recipe when I'm in Colorado and post it
                      Is this the same recipe? I have hundreds saved on my computer that I stole from various websites.

slice up 4 small sweet potatoes (I used two LARGE ones) ~1/8" slices...

then you either puree some chipotle peppers (or go lazy like I did, and puree chipotle in adobo sauce)

recipe calls for one tablespoon of the chipotle puree and 2 cups of heavy cream... whisk them together in a bowl. I went with 2 tablespoons

in a ~10" glass dish, lay down a layer of sweet potato slices and drizzle 3 tablespoons of the chipotle cream on them. I called BS and went with as much as it took to completely cover the potato slices and kinda spread it on them so it covered them evenly.

LIGHTLY salt/pepper and add another layer of sweet potato slices, cover in chipotle cream, lightly salt/pepper, etc. etc. etc. untill you run out of chipotle cream mixture.

pre-heat oven to 325* and bake for 30 min covered in foil, then uncover and bake for an additional 30-45min till cream is absorbed and top layer is browned nicely. I kept kinda mushing down the top layer to get it good coverage and just let it bake... probably ended up at about 45min uncovered.

garnish with chopped green onion
                      Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                      Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

THAT'S IT!

you rule
                        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
                          Not quite.
                          They do have fiber in them, but the average size has about 35 grams of carbs, of which 3-4 grams is fiber.
                          Sweet potatoes are the most nutritious vegetable there is though(mainly Vitamin A) and offers a very low GI rating.
                          The carbs are also considered complex, not simple.

Kinda funny too because I as well stayed shy of them, until about a year or so ago.
                          I've been HOOKED ever since!
                          Good find, enjoy!
                          That is weird. They have been a staple in my bulk and clean diet for almost a decade. I'm like the bubba gump of sweet potatoes at this point. The only thing I still can't pair them with is fish. An awesome bulking breakfast is to mix pureed roasted sweet potato and grits or cream of wheat with a bit of honey.
                          Slow moving projects
                          1964 C10 350/700r4
                          1992 LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Superwho View Post
                            That is weird. They have been a staple in my bulk and clean diet for almost a decade. I'm like the bubba gump of sweet potatoes at this point. The only thing I still can't pair them with is fish. An awesome bulking breakfast is to mix pureed roasted sweet potato and grits or cream of wheat with a bit of honey.
                            Fried fish....with fried sweet potatoes.....problem solved. lol
                            May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
                            Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Superwho View Post
                              What's the weird part?
                              Nothing at all wrong with sweet potatoes(long as you stay away from the butter, go a bit shy on the brown sugar, and pour on the cinnamon).
                              If you are buying canned yams or sweet potatoes, be careful, they are LOADED with sugar(I have never even tried these because the label scared me far away).
                              I'm with you though, I am hooked as well and usually consume about 10 baked sweet potatoes per week.

Comment

Working...
                              X