One Wire Alternator High Voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Wire Alternator High Voltage

I have a one wire setup in my Torino and I recently noticed the voltage is all over the place. Yesterday, when I started the car cold it was around 17v (jumping up and down half a volt while running) and once it warmed up, it was still around 15-16v (again, jumping around, not showing steady reading). If I turn on both 30amp electric fans I can load it down to 14.5v.

Without the car running the battery shows 12.85 volts at the terminals and 12.85v at the solenoid (battery is in the trunk). With the car running the voltage at the battery is a steady 14.8v.

After playing around with connections and measuring voltage in different places and what not, I feel like the alternator internal regulator is going out. Could it be something else?

Can the internal regulator be replaced easily? I think its a PowerMaster GM 10si.

If its time for a new alternator, does anyone have an affordable recommendation for a high amp (need about 140amp) one wire alternator? I found that summit offers one for $127 (link), but it only carries a one year warranty. Is there a part store alternative that has a longer warranty?

Thanks
    1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Can you take yours to a good repair shop and have it repaired ?

Comment

One wire alternators are always a mistake. Just get a regular Ford 3g and be done with it. I bought one last year that was all US made with new parts and it was a touch over 200 bucks. If the wiring is intimidating for you I will gladly give you a hand and have all of the materials needed. You can also just get one for a V-8 Mustang or Taurus from any parts store and they will work just as well.

Mine came from here. Make sure to get the plug if you order it.

High output 3G series alternators to upgrade your '96 to '99 Ford vehicle.

FYI: A single grove pulley can only support the production of about 90 amps before it can no longer turn the alternator and the belt slips. Going with a larger OD pulley helps a bit but there are still limits. This is why I used to love the small case 90 amp 3g from Ford Motorsports for swaps onto 60s vintage cars but sadly it was discontinued.
      Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 01-29-2018, 01:27 PM.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFox View Post
        Thats an idea I hadn't considered. A quick google search shows a place nearby that I could try.

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
        One wire alternators are always a mistake. Just get a regular Ford g3 and be done with it. I bought one last year that was all US made with new parts and it was a touch over 200 bucks. If the wiring is intimidating for you I will gladly give you a hand and have all of the materials needed.

Mine came from here. Make sure to get the plug if you order it.

https://alternatorparts.com/ford-3g.html
        Its not that its intimidating, but this setup has worked for 10 years, why rock the boat.
        Also, all those units are $230-$500, with the exception of the unit built in china.

Guess I'll try the rebuild first, unless anyone has reason to think this maybe unrelated to the alternator.
        Last edited by Torinoman; 01-29-2018, 01:46 PM.

Comment

local shop in Richardson

I've gone here several times over the years with good results.

Richardson Generator and Starter
          208 N Greenville Ave
          Ste 101
          Richardson, TX 75081

Specialties: We specialize in automotive electrical rebuilt parts. Save up to half or more on prices compared to "new" retail stores' units that are made overseas and commonly have fitment and quality issues. Lifetime warranties are great, but only when you don't have to pay labor costs when they continually fail! We use OEM factory cores to rebuild units in house, guaranteeing fitment and quality on all applications. We strive for 100% customer satisfaction and work to have same-day turn around on all common units if we don't already have them in inventory. We offer free bench testing and have no problem telling you "nothing is wrong", giving your part back and receiving no money. Because you can trust us to tell you the truth. Our customer's word-of-mouth recommendations are our greatest advertising. Established in 1980. WE'VE MOVED! Check out the new address above! Family owned and operated for 30+ years. Christian background with nothing but the truth told to our customers. If there is no problem with something, we tell you and don't charge for it. Our focus is 100% customer satisfaction and saving you money! We want you coming back and telling your friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
            Thats an idea I hadn't considered. A quick google search shows a place nearby that I could try.

Its not that its intimidating, but this setup has worked for 10 years, why rock the boat.
            Also, all those units are $230-$500, with the exception of the unit built in china.

Guess I'll try the rebuild first, unless anyone has reason to think this maybe unrelated to the alternator.
            The second one down on the list is what I used. I personally like using the yellow/white wire for remote voltage sensing on Fords and not being able to do so is what I despise about 1 wire alternators.

F1-3G-HD140 $239.95

Your problem is without a shadow of a doubt caused by the alternator but you may want to double check your grounds. Any rebuild shop can fix it in not time flat. I used to use a place in Grand Prairie called Alterstart and they can do stuff while you wait if you don't get there at lunchtime.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFox View Post
              Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
              The second one down on the list is what I used. I personally like using the yellow/white wire for remote voltage sensing on Fords and not being able to do so is what I despise about 1 wire alternators.

F1-3G-HD140 $239.95

Your problem is without a shadow of a doubt caused by the alternator but you may want to double check your grounds. Any rebuild shop can fix it in not time flat. I used to use a place in Grand Prairie called Alterstart and they can do stuff while you wait if you don't get there at lunchtime.
              I'm not DFW mustangs ballin out of control, $240 was way more than I wanted to pay right now.

I've been to Alterstart a half dozen times. I've run their starters and alternators, but I've found they don't always stand by their products. I had a high amp alternator from them for a 7.3 SD go out after about a year. I had to really fight with them to get it repaired and I still paid part of the repair.

Anyway, I dropped it off at Richardson Generator this morning. We'll see what happens.

Comment

UPDATE: Put in the repaired alternator, started it up and its still making 15.5-16v at idle.This was with the engine and battery dead cold, and only the ignition on as a current draw. I didn't have time to let the engine run and warm up.

Should it be a bit higher when cold? If I try again and let it warm up should I expect it to drop down, or am I probably still chasing the root of the issue?
                Last edited by Torinoman; 01-31-2018, 02:31 PM.

Comment

You checked it with a multimeter or you’re going off the gauge?

Comment

Multimeter

Comment

I was thinking maybe your gauge is off. But I guess not. Maybe haul it to autozone for testing before and after taking it back to the guys that repaired it.

Comment

Well i already took it to the place for repair, so I don't have a before to compare it to.

I guess i can take it off and take it to autozone and have them check it

Comment

That’s what I meant. Take it there now if it tests bad haul it back to the repair shop and see if they’ll stand behind their work. Then I’d get it tested again after they repair it to make sure it’s really fixed.

Comment

Right on. I'll try that

Comment

Working...
                            X