Charlie Strong to Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
    One interesting comment I heard from one of the ESPN gurus on Mike & Mike this morning was about how the Big 12 offenses are different.

Basically, he mentioned that Tuberville was at Auburn, spent time at big schools, etc. and then got to Tech and was stunned by how much different the offenses are in the Big 12 -- lots of quality QB's, no TE's, no FB's, etc. He never adjusted. He didn't say good or bad about Strong in that regard -- just that it was going to be different than anything he's dealt with thus far in his career. It'll be something to watch for sure.

He stopped OU in '08 while the DC at Florida to the tune of 24-14. So he has that going for him, which is nice.

Comment

I enjoyed the press conference. I can tell he's not accustomed to the lime light, but he handled himself well and said a lot of good things. When race came up, he brought the focus right back to football, which is what this is all about. I've seen some really nasty comments from outsiders about how Texas is a "racist southern state" and he'll wish he never took the job. Sumlin has done very well at aggie, and I really haven't heard much about him. I, for one, only see one color when it comes to UT football...burnt orange. If you win, great. If you don't, GTFO.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
        I enjoyed the press conference. I can tell he's not accustomed to the lime light, but he handled himself well and said a lot of good things. When race came up, he brought the focus right back to football, which is what this is all about. I've seen some really nasty comments from outsiders about how Texas is a "racist southern state" and he'll wish he never took the job. Sumlin has done very well at aggie, and I really haven't heard much about him. I, for one, only see one color when it comes to UT football...burnt orange. If you win, great. If you don't, GTFO.
        Well said.
        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
        86 SVO - Sold
        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post

Winning will solve all those "problems"

Comment

Keep Austin Weird. And the State Capital of the State
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              And keep kicking the crap out of OU!!!
              86 SVO - Sold
              01 TJ - new toy - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                He's no Saban, Harbaugh, Tomlin, or Gruden but I guess he'll do. lmfao

So how excited is "longhorn nation" about this hire? I hope he likes being tossed around by all that big money and pressure down in Austin.
                Didn't he turn a pretty irrelevant Louisville program into back to back conference champs in two years?
                "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Context, how does that work?

Comment

Originally posted by BERT View Post
                    Context, how does that work?
                    The Ticket was making fun of his prepared speech this morning. It was pretty funny.
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

The Ticket was making fun of his prepared speech this morning. It was pretty funny.

He seemed very nervous and out of his element with that prepared speech. Once the Q&A started, he seemed to settle in quite nicely. I'm liking the way he's answering questions so far. Very straight forward

Comment

Originally posted by BERT View Post
                        He seemed very nervous and out of his element with that prepared speech. Once the Q&A started, he seemed to settle in quite nicely. I'm liking the way he's answering questions so far. Very straight forward

Good, I'll take that humbleness over arrogance and cockiness.

Comment

Charlie Strong's coaching staff

Offensive coordinator / O-line coach
                          Joe Wickline

- Oklahoma State offensive line coach since 2005
                          - Florida O-line coach 2002-2004
                          - Began coaching career in 1982

RB's Coach
                          Tommie Robinson

- Spent 2013 season as USC RB coach
                          - Running back coach at Miami 2007-2009
                          - Former NFL assistant (Cardinals, Cowboys)

QB's Coach
                          Shawn Watson

- Louisville offensive coordinator/QB coach since 2011
                          - Nebraska offensive coordinator/QBR coach 2007-10

WR's Coach
                          Les Koenning

- WR at Texas, 1977-80
                          - Mississippi State offensive coordinator, 2009-13
                          - Began coaching career in 1981

TE's Coach / Recruiting Coordinator
                          Bruce Chambers

- Recruiting coordinator/TE coach for Texas last season
                          - With Longhorns since 1998

Defensive coordinator / Secondary
                          Vance Bedford

- DB at Texas, 1978-81
                          - Began coaching career in 1986
                          - Louisville defensive coordinator since 2010
                          - Louisville: led FBS in rush defense in 2013

D-line coach
                          Chris Rumph

-Spent last 3 seasons as Alabama DL coach

LB Coach / Recruiting Coordinator
                          Brian Jean-Mary

- Spent last 4 seasons as Louisville LB coach
                          - LB coach at Georgia Tech, 2004-09

Defensive Backs & Special Teams
                          Chris Vaughn

- 2012-13 - Memphis DB coach,
                          - 2008-11- Recruiting coordinator & DB coach at Ole Miss
                          Originally posted by Jester
                          Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                          He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                          Originally posted by Denny
                          What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                          FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Texas program gets a culture shock:
                            Texas football is in for a major culture change under Charlie Strong after meeting with players this week, per sources of Scipio Tex from Barking Carnival...

List of rules Strong is instituting:

1. Players will attend all of their classes and sit in the front two rows of all of their classes. GAs, academic folks, position coaches will be checking constantly now.

2. No headphones in class. No texting in class. Sit up and take notes.

3. If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don't want to run.

4. No earrings in the football building. No drugs. No stealing. No guns. Treat women with respect.

5. Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.

6. The team will all live together, eat together, suffer together, and hang out together. They will become a true team and learn to impose accountability on each other. The cliques are over.

7. There's no time for a rebuild. "I don't have time for that." The expectation is that Texas wins now.

8. Players will learn that they would rather practice than milk a minor injury.

9. The focus is on winning and graduating. Anything extraneous to that is a distraction and will be stamped out or removed.

10. Strong met individually with seniors and key leaders and re-emphasized that the plan is to win now. They can lead the new culture or be run over by it.

11. "I don't want to talk about things. I'd rather do things. We just talked. Now it's time to do."
                            Originally posted by davbrucas
                            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Lmao
                              86 SVO - Sold
                              01 TJ - new toy - Sold

Comment

That's awesome. I hope those rules are all true.

Comment

Working...
                                X