Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowboys/Redskins penalized for un-capped year

Redskins, Cowboys file grievance

The Dallas Cowboys and the Washington Redskins have filed a grievance against the NFL and the NFLPA to have $46 million in salary cap penalties overturned.

"Within the confines of our collective bargaining agreement, we are trying to have a voice and a hearing in terms of our cap situation," Cowboys director of player personnel Stephen Jones said Sunday.

Jones said the Cowboys hoped to avoid filing any legal action over the cap penalty.

The Redskins and Cowboys are being quiet on the grievance they filed over their cap penalties. That tells ESPN.com's Dan Graziano that the two teams think they can win their complaint. Blog

The Cowboys were penalized $10 million against the salary cap by the league because they, along with the Redskins, were penalized for $36 million, front-loaded contracts during the uncapped 2010 season. The penalties were split evenly over the 2012 and 2013 seasons for the two teams.

The NFL Players' Association agreed to have the 2012 salary cap set at $120.6 million rather than a lower number and for the Redskins and Cowboys to take those reductions. Otherwise, the cap would have been significantly lower.

The owners of the other 30 NFL teams will be briefed on the grievance at the owners meetings. Arbitrator Stephen Burbank will rule on the grievance.

ProFootballTalk.com and SI.com had earlier reported on the filing of the grievance.

The Cowboys and Redskins took cap hits during the 2010 season that normally would have been spread out over the length of the contracts giving them an unfair competitive advantage.

"I thought the penalties imposed were proper," John Mara, the New York Giants' owner and chair of the NFL Management Council, which imposed the penalties said Sunday. "What they did was in violation of the spirit of the salary cap. They attempted to take advantage of a one-year loophole, and quite frankly, I think they're lucky they didn't lose draft picks."

Said Jones Sunday: "That's John's opinion. That's not my opinion."

Mara said the Redskins and Cowboys shouldn't be surprised by the penalties that were imposed.

"They attempted to take advantage of it knowing full well there would be consequences."

When reached for comment on the filing of a grievance, the Redskins said they were referring all calls to the league office.

Twenty-eight NFL teams will receive $1.6 million of additional cap space because of the penalties given to the Redskins and Cowboys, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. The teams receiving money can also choose to split it over the 2012 and '13 seasons however they see fit.

Cincinnati, Denver, Jacksonville, Minnesota and Tampa Bay chose not to take the additional room in 2012, a source said, and will instead get the money in 2013.

The New Orleans Saints and Oakland Raiders are the only two teams that will not receive a portion of the money, but will also not lose any of their own cap space, according to sources.

Despite the cap penalties, Jones said the issues wouldn't effect the Cowboys.

"Obviously, getting the cap hit, you have to deal with it and there's ramifications of that," Jones said last week. "But it's not going to stop us from being able to do the things we have to do to be a championship-caliber football team in 2012."

In the early stages of free agency the Cowboys signed cornerback Brandon Carr to a five-year $50.1 million contract and two offensive linemen, Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau to contracts totaling $30 million. The Cowboys also signed quarteback Kyle Orton to a three-year $10.5 million deal to back up starter Tony Romo.

Before free agency started, the Cowboys cleared nearly $17 million in salary-cap space by restructuring the contracts of cornerback Orlando Scandrick, tackle Doug Free and wide receiver Dez Bryant. They also released cornerback Terence Newman and kicker David Buehler. Last week the Cowboys cleared an additional $1.55 million in cap space by releasing veteran guard Kyle Kosier.

You want to talk about cheating to get a competitive advantage, how about the fact that the man responsible for the penalties is the owner of the NY Giants! He is a division rival of both teams who received penalties. If that's not using your position to receive a competitive advantage than I don't know what is. Not to mention the fact that niether team even cheated. An un-capped year is an un-capped year, that means that there is no salary cap. How can you get in trouble for going over a salary cap that doesn't exist?
    .223 > 911

they got an extra 4th round pick in this years draft though
    Los Angeles Rams 11-5
    Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
    Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

LOL @ "the spirit of the salary cap" in a year where there is no salary cap. Wat?
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
        LOL @ "the spirit of the salary cap" in a year where there is no salary cap. Wat?
        The spirit of shut your fucking face.
        How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by pHILSANITY07 View Post
          they got an extra 4th round pick in this years draft though
          Has nothing to do with any of this though. It was for Stephen Bowen I believe.
          .223 > 911

Comment

Repost
            Originally posted by talisman
            I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
            Originally posted by AdamLX
            If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
            Because fuck you, that's why
            Originally posted by 80coupe
            nice dick, Idrivea4banger
            Originally posted by Rick Modena
            ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
            Originally posted by Jester
            Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
              Repost
              Oops, must of been a lil while back cause I didn't see it. Of course I only looked at the first page, so that might have something to do with it.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
              .223 > 911

Comment

Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
                Repost
                Not really, this sheds new light on the situation. Yes, it's no new news that they were penalized. It's now official though, that the teams are filing a grievance. Next step is lawsuit, and they should both win.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

It is all a bunch of bullshit anyways. Mara is just trying to get a leg up on the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                    It is all a bunch of bullshit anyways. Mara is just trying to get a leg up on the competition.
                    Exactly, Mara is doing the same thing that he is accusing us of doing. He's trying to get his team a competitive advantage. The only difference is that we didn't actually do anything wrong, and he's going through with his illegal scheme full force. Hopefully this will come back to bite him in the ass.
                    .223 > 911

Comment

Working...
                    X