Different kind of Insurance Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different kind of Insurance Question

Long story short, I just wrecked my truck and the other person drove off. Trick is, she wasn't at fault. She got out and looked at her car and then, after we were clear to move, I pulled into a parking lot and she bolted. I'm guessing she either had warrants, isn't legal or just didn't give a damn about the damage to her car. Oddly enough, her car fared tremendously better than my F150.

If I call my insurance company and tell them there were two vehicles involved and the other drove off, how will they respond? Will they go pulling police reports or doing research to try and find her? Doesn't seem like they would because it just adds money to the repairs for them.

I'm just asking because I've never dealt with a "hit and run" in this manner before.

Just call them and let them know what happened. Also, that way you can get the ball rolling on getting your stuff fixed. I hope you weren't messing with your phone when you hit her.

Comment

Your insurance wont care. They'll ask for a police report, if none.... they'll file the claim. They'll tell you its on your uninsured, under-insured policy, you 'll have a $250 deductible more than likely and you'll get your truck fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
        Just call them and let them know what happened. Also, that way you can get the ball rolling on getting your stuff fixed. I hope you weren't messing with your phone when you hit her.
        She was on her phone sitting through a green light. I tapped the horn and she threw her phone down and took off. I followed and took a quick glance left and right to check for cross-traffic. I look up and the light had turned yellow and she's locked up the brakes and comes to a stop 10' past the white stripe. My 6,000 pound truck lost the stopping distance battle and, oddly enough, the collision battle. Her car barely looked damaged. My truck, damn.

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
        Your insurance wont care. They'll ask for a police report, if none.... they'll file the claim. They'll tell you its on your uninsured, under-insured policy, you 'll have a $250 deductible more than likely and you'll get your truck fixed.
        I'm going to call them in the morning. We have the vanishing deductible and accident forgiveness so hopefully it won't change much with our policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
          Incorrect. From reading the facts as presented by the OP, it appears there is some comparative negligence at best. Maybe 10% on the chick for failure to signal a stop. Therefore, if the OP is 90% +/- negligence, his UM coverage is not triggered and he is subject to his deductible (whatever it's come down to due to his company's incentives) and any applicable rate hikes.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
            Incorrect. From reading the facts as presented by the OP, it appears there is some comparative negligence at best. Maybe 10% on the chick for failure to signal a stop. Therefore, if the OP is 90% +/- negligence, his UM coverage is not triggered and he is subject to his deductible (whatever it's come down to due to his company's incentives) and any applicable rate hikes.
            This is how I've assumed it would be treated.

Comment

Pay out of pocket. Your rates are going to increase because of the accident.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                After re-reading, Id say you're correct.

Comment

Working...
                X