Let's talk cold saws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk cold saws

Having spent most of my time using normal metal cutting "chop saws" I was turned on to "dry cold saws". I found myself looking at various reviews of the ones listed below. I'd prefer to get in the board's opinion on cold vs abrasive and if cold, which one do you have personal experience using.
    My intent is to use this tool for hobby purposes with light use. 3" angle, 4" schedule 40 pipe (rarely), maybe some rebar (art), etc. At some point, it is possible some chrome-moly. MAYBE some wood use.

Your thoughts? Cold saw vs abrasive chop saw.
    Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

I have also only used the dry abrasive chop saws and always hated them.

Is there a reason you are not considering a band saw? What is blade life and cost like for the dry cold saws?

Comment

My dewalt band saw just broke, that Makita looks nice, largest I usually cut is 3.5
      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

The DW872 is one of our best tools. The Makita probably has a better base but the hinge is not as good as the DeWalt. Both motors are solid. I think the 14" blade gives DeWalt the advantage along with the better vertical accuracy from the better hinge.

No matter what saw you pick, here are a few things to consider:
        • None of these are going to give you miter saw type accuracy. The angles on the base are not that accurate. You'll have to set the angle with a speed square.
        • Adjust the fence as far forward as possible. It makes the blade last longer.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDumbRedneck View Post
          The DW872 is one of our best tools. The Makita probably has a better base but the hinge is not as good as the DeWalt. Both motors are solid. I think the 14" blade gives DeWalt the advantage along with the better vertical accuracy from the better hinge.

No matter what saw you pick, here are a few things to consider:
          • None of these are going to give you miter saw type accuracy. The angles on the base are not that accurate. You'll have to set the angle with a speed square.
          • Adjust the fence as far forward as possible. It makes the blade last longer.
          What he said. Ive got the Rigid brand. Ive used the dog out of it for about 8 years. Works good, angles aren't always perfect, adjust with square.
          I will get a decent band saw when I get time/find a deal though.

Comment

And this is why I ask you guys. Thanks for making me think. Thanks for the feedback!!

Originally posted by NoClassic View Post
            Is there a reason you are not considering a band saw? What is blade life and cost like for the dry cold saws?
            i actually have an old delta bandsaw that I'll be restoring and converting to metal. However, I assume you're talking about a legit horizontal bandsaw. I suffer from "no-shop-itis" and space is a premium in my garage. Another plus for the cut off saw.
            There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Everytime I see this thread I read coleslaw.

Comment

Well, I didn't, but I do now! Lol

Comment

I have this. Same footprint as an abrasive chopsaw, but quieter, faster and cleaner. Blade definitely last longer as well. Stock size is limited on miters, but if i need to go bigger I have a horizontal band saw to take care of that.
                  It happens to be a well thought out and reasoned dissertation on drug use and a lyrical cost/benefit analysis of various kinds of drugs, drawing the conclusion that beer is the best of them all.

Comment

Working...
                  X