88-93 Chevy Pickup- cracked dashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88-93 Chevy Pickup- cracked dashes

I've been looking at 88-93 Chevy Pickups, and I noticed they frequently have cracked dashes up around the windshield & dash speakers. It this a structural issue, it just cosmetic. I'm looking at these years as I want a pre-airbag truck and TBI injection is fine with me. Any other issues on these ? I know about the early tail light problem.

Scott

I always assumed it was just poor plastic quality and that it deteriorated / was UV damaged. Same thing with the older Dodge Ram trucks and the 07+ GM's.

Comment

My 96 is fine near the window, but there is a small one that starts near the gauge cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
        My 96 is fine near the window, but there is a small one that starts near the gauge cluster.
        Completely different dash, it changed when they went to airbags,

Comment

UV protectant not the ArmorAll shit! and a good windshield sunshade will always prevent this, As well as good window tent. It's not just GM dashe's that crack when left out in the hot tx sun unprotected when not driving.
          sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
          🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Still need to know if this a structural issue. Will I have a dash fall in my lap & the only fix is a new dash carrier ? Or do I just need to fix the ugly?

Comment

Originally posted by white trash wagon View Post
              Still need to know if this a structural issue. Will I have a dash fall in my lap & the only fix is a new dash carrier ? Or do I just need to fix the ugly?
              Not structural, just cosmetic.

Comment

I have a 93 suburban with same issue.

I've started to look around for another dash as I'll never sell the thing. Last 10 years had dash screens and put UV protectant on it. Didn't help

300k on my TBI. The rest of the suburban has been completely rebuilt.
                Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

You can always put one of those Gay dash carpets on. I've had em on a few cars.
                  sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                  🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by white trash wagon View Post
                    Completely different dash, it changed when they went to airbags,
                    Yes I am aware, and aware that it is a better looking dash as well.

Comment

The freaking glove box fell off of my 96. It cracked around the latch mechanism. That and of course the bezel tabs are all broken. Gorilla tape works pretty well at holding it together btw.

I replaced the HVAC ducts last year and had the entire dash out but I never could find a good replacement so the old cracked one went back in.

Comment

My daily is a 97 Tahoe and the dash was cracked so I bought another Tahoe for parts and swapped the dash out since the parts truck's dash was perfect. 7months later is cracked in 3 places.

Comment

GM just can't figure out dash materials can they. A running theme they've always had. I hate the dash issues on the 73-87 trucks. Now if you want an oem its $600 if you can find one. And keep that fucker out of the sun! Tried a few others and they all sucked. Wavy or too poor fitment
                          WH

Comment

Found you the last remaining crack free dash, now go find a truck for it. You can always die it to whatever color you need.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pt...472815768.html

Comment

Found you the last remaining crack free dash, now go find a truck for it. You can always die it to whatever color you need.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pt...472815768.html

Thanks Cool Cat!

Comment

Working...
                              X