Hypothetical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
    So let’s say you have been at a job for 5 years, everything is going good then the whole business model changes and you are one of 3 people asked to stay and take a leadership role for the same pay. You do it and everything is good, couple of months pass by and you are asked to keep taking on more and more job responsibilities with no pay increase, the problem is there is no position for the type of work at your current company. One day someone gets fired and again they place you in their shoes with muuuuch more responsibility and guess what....still no pay raise. It’s been over 6 months you have busted your balls and have proven you can do the position long term, end of year reviews come up and you guessed it still no position created for your role in the company so no raise. Would you stick it out and hope when they ever do create the position you are chosen to stay and might get a raise? Do you threaten to quit but don’t pull the trigger, or do you actually quit?

Oh one last thing, you were asked to train a fellow co-worker making well over 30k a year more than you to do your position in another market recently.

They keep giving this person more work because this person keeps allowing it. You have to push back every once in a while. If this person can line up another job, and is willing to walk, this person could have a serious discussion with the manager and let them know why they are leaving. I'd be willing to bet they change their tune and offer a raise. I've seen it happen more than once where I'm currently working.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
      Give them the benefit of the doubt and if nothing happens within that time then start looking elsewhere.
      You don't load your gun after your door gets kicked in. Start looking now. I have no idea what OP does for a living, but I think it's safe to say jobs don't just appear out of nowhere, and there's a lot of competition out there.

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
      They keep giving this person more work because this person keeps allowing it.
      "It's not what you preach, it's what you tolerate."

Comment

I agree with Bird Dog. Maybe inquire, but no threat. If you get the run around, just keep quiet. Secretly search and find a better deal. Find it, resign, and do NOT take a better offer to keep you. They will resent having to pay you more, and they will replace you as soon as possible. Be careful with Linked In. Remember, even your current boss can see what you are doing. Same thing with Face Book. Find your new deal, resign, and move on.

Comment

think about it. do you really want to trust your future to this company ? they have already done enough to make you start looking.

Comment

Looks like you have not even received "A Reach Around".

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
              Screw all of that
              Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
              You don't load your gun after your door gets kicked in.
              Understood and agreed. I've always tried to remain as loyal as possible and given employers the benefit of the doubt, so mindset is a bit different.

Comment

Let’s say the company isn’t doing so good financially for you to get one but VP’s still get promotions and raises
                There is some quality advise in this thread by some very successful people (aside from Captain Cuntfish of course). Re-read this thread, grab your sac and make a move.

My wife was a loyal employee for for over 25 years, she worked her way up to senior manager and could have made Director and later even VP is she moved to San Antonio, but she didn't want to move to S.A. If she would have moved she would have achieved those positions and of course the pay. She declined because of our new boss, kids schools and her family (not mine, fuck'em I was ready to move).
                Fast forward 10 years later and the company starts going under, she gets laid off, no "hey start looking for a job, we are laying off." She did get 6 months of severance pay. She should have left for the titles and then she could have made lateral moves to another company with the same pay or close to it.

She went to work for a former peer from her former company and made Director in a little over a year, she got offered another Director position with a better bonus plan at another company, she is the type that try's to be loyal. I asked her during our convo about moving jobs how did being loyal
                worked out for her last time. She gave me that 'look', gave her notice and jetted.
                In under two years she has already made VP, tripled her pay and got rewarded for her work in turning around this new company, she would have never achieved this is she would have stayed loyal and stayed at her previous employer.
                Last edited by Rick Modena; 02-22-2018, 02:08 PM.
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                  They keep giving this person more work because this person keeps allowing it. You have to push back every once in a while. If this person can line up another job, and is willing to walk, this person could have a serious discussion with the manager and let them know why they are leaving. I'd be willing to bet they change their tune and offer a raise. I've seen it happen more than once where I'm currently working.
                  I did exactly this a few years back, and netted a double-digit percent increase in base salary within hours, and a healthy bump in commission as well. The background is that I started on a low rung, worked my way up, and had been a loyal monogram golf shirt wearer for almost 15 year up to that point. Through all of this I had realized that I was loyal to my immediate support team, not the company as a whole. I had a very trusted manager at the time going to bat for me, who appreciated the work I was doing, yet time after time her request to get me more money went ignored. My manager cared, "my" company saw me as a number eating into their GP.

Rather than just threaten and posture, I put my resume out there for two reasons. One was to have that assurance that I had somewhere to go should they have let me go, which in my mind was highly likely, as I am just a number, so I had no faith whatever that they would "do the right thing." The second is that it let me know exactly where I stood in the market, and confirmed for me that I did indeed deserve a raise. Looking at what others make is a dangerous place to be, they may or may not be overpaid, and thus first on the chopping block when the economy tightens up.

Comment

Hypothetically, I'd get a good resume and look for another job.

Comment

Let’s say the company isn’t doing so good financially for you to get one but VP’s still get promotions and raises
                      I'm not going to work for a company that's financially in the shit hole.

Comment

I loved one of my old companies i worked for in 2017, but they were not competitive with their pay at below the VP level so I decided rather than stay comfortable and cozy in a job i could do on auto-pilot I would venture out and join a start-up.

Well, the hick sales guys fucked up their numbers at EOY and so another round of venture capital funding was looming with the numbers not looking as shiny as they should have been. So they cut costs by moving my position to Ho Chi Minh City. Fuckers.

They even then fucked me by putting my severance as "in lieu of notice" pay, which fucks me out of needed unemployment benefits until my new job started, which took an age and a half to get through once the offer was committed to.

All in all, i almost doubled my salary in 4 months, so there is something to be said about venturing out. An old sociology professor gave the sage advice is every 3-4 years in your career you need to be moving up or moving out to really stay on the path to success.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                          I did exactly this a few years back, and netted a double-digit percent increase in base salary within hours, and a healthy bump in commission as well. The background is that I started on a low rung, worked my way up, and had been a loyal monogram golf shirt wearer for almost 15 year up to that point. Through all of this I had realized that I was loyal to my immediate support team, not the company as a whole. I had a very trusted manager at the time going to bat for me, who appreciated the work I was doing, yet time after time her request to get me more money went ignored. My manager cared, "my" company saw me as a number eating into their GP.

Rather than just threaten and posture, I put my resume out there for two reasons. One was to have that assurance that I had somewhere to go should they have let me go, which in my mind was highly likely, as I am just a number, so I had no faith whatever that they would "do the right thing." The second is that it let me know exactly where I stood in the market, and confirmed for me that I did indeed deserve a raise. Looking at what others make is a dangerous place to be, they may or may not be overpaid, and thus first on the chopping block when the economy tightens up.
                          This is a very good point, and could make for a great motivator. You have to keep in mind that companies are not loyal to you. They may convince you that they are but it's a front to keep you there for as long as it's beneficial to them.

Comment

The other side to that coin is that he/she needs to know that they really are due a raise. We often want to think that every little bit of extra responsibility is worth a life-changing amount, but reality says that the job is worth what someone is willing to do it for.

To that end you need to know exactly what your worth in dollars and cents. You should never say "hey boss, I deserve a raise, how about it?" It should be more like "My salary should be $X, and here's what I do for the company that justifies it." This conversation can happen at any point if prefaced appropriately, presuming you already have a number in mind, but can go south in a hurry if they think it's a tip off that you are looking elsewhere, so you may as well already be looking elsewhere.

Comment

All I will add is be cautious and selective with how you put your resume out there online. Where I work, if the HR team sees a new or updated resume online for one of the employees, they get pulled into the boss's office to explain. I'm sure that happens elsewhere, too.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                                All I will add is be cautious and selective with how you put your resume out there online. Where I work, if the HR team sees a new or updated resume online for one of the employees, they get pulled into the boss's office to explain. I'm sure that happens elsewhere, too.
                                Yup, I had looked a few years ago just to see what was out there and a Manager friend at a sister stored called and asked if I was leaving, My application showed up in his email. That made my butthole pucky for a second thinking who else saw that resume.

Comment

Working...
                                X