No announcement yet.

2006 FedEx Monte Carlo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's theme, 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

I picked up a second sheet of decals to double the numbers on the doors and hood. The door decals wrinkled and never would lay flat. So, I hoped to pull the top number with some masking tape, and it pulled them both. So, I have a 3rd sheet on the way....

I finally got the shocks sorted out and have something I am pretty happy with! The first pair I built was lacking detail and just didn't measure up to everything else.

This is 3 pieces of aluminum tubing, 1 piece of solder, and 1 piece of detail wire. I will detail the build process this weekend on my model page.

Shock in place on the chassis. Last night I ran the braided line for the front brakes and the fuel supply line. The fuel line was wrapped in bare metal foil so that it looked like it had heat shield wrap on it.

Looking in from the hood area with the body on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I managed to get quite a bit knocked out on this thing over the last few days. Not quite as far along as I hoped though.

Cooling system is compete, front brakes are done and only lack lug studs, and I got quite a bit done in the interior. New electronics tray, added the MSD boxes, started making the gauges, and the shifter is built.

Oil lines to and from the tank, line for the breather tank that would be in the trunk.

The black plates with the tubes sticking out is where the cooling ducts will connect to for the diff cooler and rear brakes.

Misc interior stuff. The shifter is a piece of PE from a sprint car suspension set. The same set I scavenger the swaybar links from. The boot and ball are from the kit shifter.

The tach is a decal from a SLIXX decal sheet. I cut it out, glued it to a piece of styrene and then inserted it into the back of a piece of aluminum tubing that I polished. All of the other gauges will be done the same way.

Upper tin work for the radiator tunnel is complete. I added a C&R racing decal and a couple of dzus fasteners to set it off.

Last edited by black2002ls; 02-04-2018, 11:30 PM.

Comment

This is nuts..How much money do you think this car will have in it buy the time you're done? How many hours as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
          This is nuts..How much money do you think this car will have in it buy the time you're done? How many hours as well?
          $$$ I would rather not think about. Probably $200-300. Unfortunately, a significan portion is shipping charges. I was unsure hoe much material I needed, so I have had to continually order parts.

As far as hours, I would guess 100 plus.

There are a lot of things I would have done differently, or with more time would re-do. If I don't, at the very least, win the pavement competition class at the showdown I will be severely disappointed. I've been trying to find pictures of builds from the last couple of years but I haven't found much. From what I have seen, I eould think it will contend for best in show.

Last edited by black2002ls; 02-05-2018, 09:29 AM.

Comment

I managed a little work on this thing the last couple of days.

The dash is almost complete. Switches and ignition coils and it'll be ready to mount. Gauges and warning lights are complete. I added a couple of Dzus fasteners and some bolt heads to the access panel for the gauges

Steering column and steering wheel are pretty much complete. I will add a wire for the radio button before it gets installed. I attached an A/N fitting to the back for the quick disconnect and a piece of craft foam to the center for the pad.

The steering wheel is a piece of aluminum tube with an a/n compression fitting on the end. I glued a piece of craft wire into the fitting and painted it to resemble the male end of the quick disconnect.

Finally some chassis work. I made radio and camera transmitters and wired them in as well as some dzus fasteners to the oil tank lid.

On the under side, I added some bare metal foil. (thin adhesive backed chrome foil) This is to represent heat shield. I MAY pick up some clear decal film and try to make some markings for it. It needs a dull cote to knock down the shine as well.

Last edited by black2002ls; 02-08-2018, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Well, the cold weather prevented me from clearing the body today. I was able to get some metallizer paints sprayed on a few parts. The seat is ALMOST done. I need to build the belts and add a few more details. The exhaust is done, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. A tad dark but it'll work. My airbrush was acting up :/

Comment

I hit a huge milestone today. The seat is done, detailed, and installed! The seat had to go in before I could set the dash and steering column.

Seat belts are done and labeled with the correct Schroth decals for the belts Denny uses. Lots of miscellaneous details in there. Photo Etched belt hardware, etc. Also note the radd io wire and connector for the helmet

The fire suppression system is installed as well. 2 nozzles, one by the seat and one near the oil tank in the rear, complete with a line to the "actuator" mounted to the side of the seat.

As a bit of a break from the car, yesterday I built a display stand. I plan to set a couole of pieces of aluminum tube on the bottom side of the chassis that will "key" into pins on the stand to keep it from falling. I painted it with Tamiya gun metal and painted the "welds" with some silver for contrast.

Comment

It is starting to look like a race car now! Progress is a bit slower, things need to be done in a certain order to prevent damaging sub assemblies.

I was able to get the body cleared a couple of days ago. I had a few issues with trash in the clear and some "dry" spots. The dry spots seemed to only show up on top of the white numbers. Thankfully, it is polishing out!

I also got the tires detailed, all they are waiting on are the wheels. I mounted each tire in the drill and sanded it on some 220 grit paper. Decals applied and then shot with testors matte clear lacquer.

Now that the body is cleared, and I can handle it without worrying about damaging decals, I've started on chassis details that need to be completed to mewt the body. First up are the air ducts. These were made with .100 styrene rod, wrapped with a thin wire, and topped with bare metal foil.

Comment

Man that’s really coming together great!
                    "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                    http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                    Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                    Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                    http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                    www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                    sigpic

Comment

I showed certain photos to my wife and then told her it was a model. Blew her mind. Great work Russ.
                      Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                      Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                      Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                      dont downshift!!
                      Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
                        Man that’s really coming together great!
                        Thanks. I'm ready to get started on yours.
                        Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                        I showed certain photos to my wife and then told her it was a model. Blew her mind. Great work Russ.
                        Thanks.

I think I figured out a solution for the front steering. Something that is more accurate, not the crap I had scabbed in there.

Comment

The kiddo stayed at my Brother's house tonight, that allowed me some time at the bench to sort some stuff out.

Steering has been rebuilt to something much more realistic than the crap I threw in there when I realized the engine was in the way. Other than the angles used to clear the oil lines, I'm happy with it.

I also got the rear end mounted and some crush panels made.

Comment

I got the body polished to my liking yesterday. Today, I started adding some details. Short track grilles and some tape up front. I used Tamiya masking tape, painted flat black. The tape on the lower chin spoiler still needs trimmed and painted. Spoiler bolts and over flow tube out back.

Air cleaner box was covered in CF decal and cleared. Still needs another coat or two of clear.

Rear suspension is complete! The first sub assembly to be completely marked off of the list. Panhard bar, travel limit chains, etc.

Comment

you still got the link to the site I sent you for the tape layout for short tracks?
                              Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                              Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
                              Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

Originally posted by pHILSANITY07 View Post
                                you still got the link to the site I sent you for the tape layout for short tracks?
                                I probably have it in my messages. I forgot you sent it

I just checked those pictures, and I'm not completely correct. Problem now is, I probably scored into the clear cutting the tape that I put on... :/

Comment

Working...
                                X