Microsoft Surface??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Surface??

My wife going back to school and looking for an ultra light portable computation device to do online courses and use microsoft office with.

Are these any good or is there a better convertible option out there in the same size range?

Chromebook gets my vote.

Comment

I LOVE my Surface Pro 3. Wish I had made the switch a long time ago.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

if she needs office for school, don't go with google office products, they won't work.

My Surface Pro 3 has been great, but there's no way I could work off of it all the time. however with the docking station for it, it makes a great desktop option with a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Comment

I like my surface pro 3. Only problem mine has that a lot of people have is the WiFi module is crap. After sleep I have to manually connect again or wait 5 mins almost.I have exchanged my surface 2 times and still no luck. Also has slow speeds and reliability on 5ghz band. I like the new chrome pixel
          92 Undercover SSP Coupe.
          15 GT w/PP

Comment

never had a problem with mine, and after going to windows 10 the tablet experience is much better
            `

Comment

My SP3 doesn't have that problem either.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

My company began issuing them out, everyone loves them.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

SP3 or SP4 are both good choices. The only other convertible I might recommend is the HP Spectre x360. This doesn't have a detachable keyboard but instead folds around to act as a tablet. I normally avoid recommending HP products (even though I work for them) but this is one time the PC guys actually got their act together and got it right..

Of course, Microsoft actually came in an helped them design the damn thing. They can't do anything good on their own. I'm serious. Microsoft actually went to their design offices and helped them do the entire thing from scratch.

But in your wife's case, the SP3 is probably the best way to go. There are lots of discounts out there for it. It's solid hardware with the 2nd best display on the market (because the SP4 is better). The only real downside to any Surface is that the keyboard is a separate purchase. Also, the SP3's docking station is obsolete and won't work with the SP4.

Processing wise, I recommend getting one with an i5. Your wife will probably do fine with an i3 based Surface but I think the i5 will give you a much longer life for the device due to all the extra CPU capacity. The same goes with RAM. The 8GB version is more pricey but you'll get more service life out of it than a 4GB version.

All that said, you'll want to look at the 256GB (storage), Core i5, with 8GB RAM. I think that reflects the best value.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-Intel-Core-Windows/dp/B00KHR4ZL6/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1450622521&sr=1-5&keywords=Surface+pro+3[/ame]

Comment

I have the Surface Pro 3, Core i3, 64 GB storage, and 4 GB RAM. It's perfect for what I need it for, and I got a hell of a deal on it, but I wouldn't count on it for anything more than the occasional Office edit, browsing the web, and taking notes. I'd go with the one Sgt Beavis posted, if you want a true laptop replacement.

Comment

Always reminded me of something you'd see in the movies, when they're planning their attack.
                      WH

Comment

Working...
                      X