So I want to build a long range rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee View Post
    Great scope with awesome glass for the price. Downside is no zero stop.
    The review I just watched on sniper's hide did have a zero stop. Lots of good reviews.

Comment

A zs on them is aftermarket and will void the warranty.

Edit it does work on the 3-15 though but not the 5-20.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by D. Lil View Post
        I want a comparison between the ruger and remington. Not counting glass, I bet you would spend less than half of what the ruger costs putting a decent stock and barrel on the remington. From that point I would like to see what rifle comes out on top and by how much. Only then would I be able to make my decision. I do like the mag flexibility of the ruger but 700s are just cool!
        You can't do all that to a Remington for near the price of the Ruger...

Without changing barrel:
        Remington 700 SPS heavy barrel - $550
        Stock (fully adjustable chassis) to match the factory Ruger - $600+
        Trigger - $150
        So you're already at $1,300 without changing the barrel...

With bottom of the line Remington ADL and barrel swap:
        Remington 700 ADL - $350
        Barrel - $400
        Gunsmith fees to install barrel - $200 (and that's probably a low estimate)
        Trigger - $150
        Chassis - $600
        So now you're at $1,700...

These figures are using cheap(er) parts than what is considered "top of the line"...

Remington 700's are not the end all be all of rifles and generally require work to get them to shoot their best or equal to other factory rifles...
        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by wickedblkgt View Post
          I will look into that, I thought it was budget because I have seen some glass go for as much as $3500.
          Most scopes over the $1000 mark are a first step into the top tier glass but yes, you can easily dropp $3500 for top tier glass.

Originally posted by D. Lil View Post
          I want a comparison between the ruger and remington. Not counting glass, I bet you would spend less than half of what the ruger costs putting a decent stock and barrel on the remington. From that point I would like to see what rifle comes out on top and by how much. Only then would I be able to make my decision. I do like the mag flexibility of the ruger but 700s are just cool!
          I'll bet you won't and I know from experience. The price breakdown will go like this. Ruger Precision Rifle will run $1100-$1300.

Base R700 ADL $329 (lowest I've seen, bought mine from Academy)
          HS Prescision or Bell & Carlson stock (least expensive upgrade over an oem stock) $250-$350
          Bartlein, Kreiger, Brux, Hawk Hill (or one of the other match barrels) $325 - $450

From the cheapest of each category you're already at $900 before tax, shipping, and machine work. YES, machine work will be required for a barrel.

Barrell chamber and fitting is going to run you $200+
          Inletting on a stock is going to run you $200+
          Bedding is going to run you $200+

It adds up very quickly.

Originally posted by dee View Post
          A base 700 sps with a varmint contour barrel in 308 won't run you much. Add a B&C or HS stock with ptg bottom metal and a trigger of your choice. All that can be done close to the price of the Ruger. There is no need for a new barrel out of the gate unless you want a different caliber.
          SPS barrels are complete junk. Aaron Roberts and I talked about this extensively after I bought one that had 50rds rounds through it.

Originally posted by wickedblkgt View Post
          Getting more towards "budget" scopes, does anyone have any experience with the SWFA SS 4x20x50???
          Great entry level scope for the money.
          Originally posted by Jester
          Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
          He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
          Originally posted by Denny
          What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
          FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            SPS barrels are complete junk. Aaron Roberts and I talked about this extensively after I bought one that had 50rds rounds through it.
            Most shoot pretty decent though despite looking like shit through a bore scope. They do have God awful long throats so running a Secant type projectile can be a issue but if one sticks to a tangent or hybrid profile they usually will do .75 moa. Now there is a downside in that unless you run a 308 or 7mm-08 the factory rem twist rate is shit for high bc bullets.

Comment

I'll bring this one back up.

Bought a Savage 10T-SR in 6.5 Creedmore yesterday. Plans are to put the action/barrel in a different stock/chassis, a decent scope ($1,000 budget) and a brake for my qd mount Silencerco Specwar 762 suppressor and then start putting rounds down range.
              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

That's a good start. Savages typically shoot pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
                  I'll bring this one back up.

Bought a Savage 10T-SR in 6.5 Creedmore yesterday. Plans are to put the action/barrel in a different stock/chassis, a decent scope ($1,000 budget) and a brake for my qd mount Silencerco Specwar 762 suppressor and then start putting rounds down range.
                  I would first see how it shoots as it came out of the box before I start spending money on it.

About 2 years ago I built a 700 in 6.5cm and was a bit disappointed in it. The 6.5 is equally as accurate as a 308 but not any better. I think it is just better for shooting in a match all day. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                    I would first see how it shoots as it came out of the box before I start spending money on it.

About 2 years ago I built a 700 in 6.5cm and was a bit disappointed in it. The 6.5 is equally as accurate as a 308 but not any better. I think it is just better for shooting in a match all day. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.
                    It's not that it's any more accurate but more potential for accurate impacts. The 6.5 with a 140 will have half the wind drift in identical conditions as a 308. Judging wind speed is the most common determining factor between shooters and the 6.5 is far more forgiving. Inside of 600yds there is little to no difference though so if you're not going to stretch things out it won't matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by dee View Post
                      It's not that it's any more accurate but more potential for accurate impacts. The 6.5 with a 140 will have half the wind drift in identical conditions as a 308. Judging wind speed is the most common determining factor between shooters and the 6.5 is far more forgiving. Inside of 600yds there is little to no difference though so if you're not going to stretch things out it won't matter.
                      The longest shot I took was 600 yards on the nose. I may take it with me to CO to shoot prairie dogs and to try the longer shots. My normal go to long range bolt gun is chambered in 7mm STW and I had hoped for the same kind of performance/accuracy out of the 6.5cm.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

• Savage builds good rifles for sure.
                        Recently picked up a Tikka T3X CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Liked it so much I sold my Savage 12LRP in 6.5 creed.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Savage, but my Tikka serves dual purpose, hunting and long range target work.

Also, I had a vortex viper pst on the Savage and went with a Burris Veracity scope on the Tikka. I like the Burris more than the vortex for the money.
                        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

• So if I were going to buy a long range 308 rifle, should I get a ruger precision, savage gsr, or a Tikka T3 tac? I know all about being beat up by 308 and 30-06 since I'm a Garand / M1A guy. I want to get a nice bolt rifle in 308 too. I know starting out all 3 will be better than I am, but I don't want to buy the ruger or savage and then decided I should've gone Tikka.

Comment

• Personal preference between those 3 I think. This is assuming you are talking about the tikka T3x tac a1 with their chassis system.

Me personally, I'd pick the tikka. Running the bolt on a tikka will make the other 2 feel like they have sand in the action. Ejection is very positive on the tikka at any bolt speed, bolt lift of only 70° and their triggers are fantastic.

I've owned many savages and like their triggers as well but their bolts and ejection leave a little to be desired. Have not owned a ruger precision but have played with one in the store except for being able to try the trigger.

Comment

Working...
                            X