Thoughts/Suggestions on Red Dot for AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts/Suggestions on Red Dot for AR

So I'm starting to shop around for my first Red Dot scope for my AR and I'm wondering what everybody uses and/or recommends. Never had a scope of any kind on an AR before. I've only had one Red Dot before, some cheapy one that came on my Ruger 10/22 and it really helps with my bad eye sight.

So I'm looking at maybe an Aimpoint T1/H1 or maybe an EOTech. I don't mind spending a little bit of money and what I'm looking at right now is on the upper end of what I comfortably feel like spending. I'd rather get a quality item and buy it once but I'd also rather not have any regrets on what I buy. Anyone have any experience/opinions on any of these Red Dots? Anything else I should look it?

Either one will be good, I used an aimpoint for years but actually prefer eotechs. I have a primary arms micro dot and like it too.

Comment

There is am EOTECH 512 on Armslist right now, $300 ... well worth it.

Its not mine , i was going to offer 250 , but the guy said firm.

There is also one on CL with a Magnifier.

Comment

I run a Burris 300208 AR-332 3x32 Prism Sight on mine. My eyes are pretty much crap so the 3X helps. You can select red or green dot and it has black crosshair if the battery dies. It works for me not sure if it is what you are looking for. If you are out my way you are welcome to try it out.

Comment

Have several PA dots, and like them. My duty rifle as an Aimpoint Pro, and it is by far the best dot I own. Worth every penny.

Comment

Hmmm.. Hadn't thought about Primary Arms. Any specific models to look at? And I'll have to start checking out Armslist, never really paid attention to them before.

As far as non Aimpoint/EOTech sights. How is the quality of them and how is battery life? I know one of the big selling points of the Aimpoint T1 is the battery life at something that's measured in years if you leave it turned on. The EOTech I don't believe is anywhere near that but has a pretty long life plus uses 123 batteries (XPS model) that I already keep in stock.

I'm looking for a sight that may see little use but has to be ready if I decide to go to the range or if SHTF with little notice. Just not sure if these other brands can be that dependable or not.

Comment

theres a Trijicon Reflex on texaschlforum for $400.00 in austin

and a Eotech 512 Holographic for $350 in allen

god bless.
              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                theres a Trijicon Reflex on texaschlforum for $400.00 in austin

and a Eotech 512 Holographic for $350 in allen

god bless.
                Not sure if I really like the Reflex or not but I've seen it on there for a while now. Where is the EOTech posted?

Comment

I have a cheappy true glow that seems to work pretty well for what I use it for. I wanted something with a wide field of vision with a minimum frame.
                  Last edited by Craizie; 05-21-2015, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                    Hmmm.. Hadn't thought about Primary Arms. Any specific models to look at? And I'll have to start checking out Armslist, never really paid attention to them before.

As far as non Aimpoint/EOTech sights. How is the quality of them and how is battery life? I know one of the big selling points of the Aimpoint T1 is the battery life at something that's measured in years if you leave it turned on. The EOTech I don't believe is anywhere near that but has a pretty long life plus uses 123 batteries (XPS model) that I already keep in stock.

I'm looking for a sight that may see little use but has to be ready if I decide to go to the range or if SHTF with little notice. Just not sure if these other brands can be that dependable or not.
                    Aimpoint and eotech are great quality, both are widely used by military and LE, if anyone knows how to not take care of stuff and ruin things it's them! Seriously though, get the one you can find the best deal on, between those two, and you will be happy. The problem with the cheaper ones is that they often don't hold zero, break, drain batteries, etc...

Comment

I got 4 of those PA Micros blackfriday last year. They're great bang for the buck. Also have a vortex strike fire but I don't care cor it much.
                      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                        Aimpoint and eotech are great quality, both are widely used by military and LE, if anyone knows how to not take care of stuff and ruin things it's them! Seriously though, get the one you can find the best deal on, between those two, and you will be happy. The problem with the cheaper ones is that they often don't hold zero, break, drain batteries, etc...
                        Yup, exactly why I was leaning towards either of those brands. But Mach1Run (and some others) have been suggesting Primary Arms to me and everything I've read is positive. Probably like 80-90% of the quality at 25% of the price. From what I've read, the main problem I've read about them is that they are not totally waterproof.

Originally posted by Mach1Run View Post
                        I got 4 of those PA Micros blackfriday last year. They're great bang for the buck. Also have a vortex strike fire but I don't care cor it much.
                        Just curious but what did you get them for?

Comment

I paid $79 for my microdot.

Comment

I do highly recommend Primary Arms. I have 4 of them, 3 on AR's and one on an M&P 15-22.

All four of mine are this model, but I have also heard good things about the microdot. I plan on putting a microdot on an AK at some point.

I used Primary Arms dots on my duty rifle for about 10 years before I got the Aimpoint. And honestly the only reason I bought one was because the price was too good to pass up.

The PA dots will serve you very well. They are rugged, hold zero, and some even use AA batteries. I have never had a problem with any of mine. Save money on the dot, then you can buy more ammo.
                            Last edited by Semper299; 05-22-2015, 08:52 AM.

Comment

I've been planning on picking up a PA dot.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X