No announcement yet.

So I want to build a long range rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call GA Precision and just buy a gun from them and be happy right off the bat.

Comment

OP - What distance do you currently have experience shooting at? 100, 200, 500 yards?
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Went to Academy to finger fuck some guns and found a Savage 11 hog hunter for $479. The gun comes with a w0in free floating threaded bull barrel and synthetic stock. Any thoughts????

Comment

They have a hit or miss reputation on accuracy.
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
            They have a hit or miss reputation on accuracy.
            I bought a savage .22-250 w/ bull barrel several years ago. It was of the best "out of the box" rifles I've ever purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
              I bought a savage .22-250 w/ bull barrel several years ago. It was of the best "out of the box" rifles I've ever purchased.
              It's not a "Hog Hunter" model though.

Comment

Originally posted by wickedblkgt View Post
                Went to Academy to finger fuck some guns and found a Savage 11 hog hunter for $479. The gun comes with a w0in free floating threaded bull barrel and synthetic stock. Any thoughts????
                That is not a long range gun.
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                  It's not a "Hog Hunter" model though.
                  Ahh, didn't know you were referring to that exact model. I thought you meant Savage in general. My bad.

Comment

No worries

Comment

What if I start from the bottom, buy the trigger, bolt, guard, barrel, stock, etc????

Comment

What if I start from the bottom, buy the trigger, bolt, guard, barrel, stock, etc????
                        I may have missed it, but what is you experience thus far for distance? We know where you want to get to, but need to know where you are starting from.

Comment

Piecing it together is a valid option. I would start with a action of your choice then go from there. I will advise though if you want to go after a aftermarket barrel or fiberglass stock the wait times are horrendous of you can't find anything in stock.

All that being said there are several off the shelf options out there for what your goal is. If you don't reload then it leaves you with basically a 308 or 6.5 Creedmore. Several companies make one or the other that will not need much or any upgrades to reach your goal with Remington and Savage being the two primary options. If the River RPR supply ever catches up with the demand it will be hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                            I may have missed it, but what is you experience thus far for distance? We know where you want to get to, but need to know where you are starting from.
                            My long range experience is 0, but I do quite a bit of shooting, and I understand about wind drift etc. I guess my first goal would be to be accurate around 500yrds and build from their.

Comment

My long range experience is 0, but I do quite a bit of shooting, and I understand about wind drift etc. I guess my first goal would be to be accurate around 500yrds and build from their.
                              500 yards is iron sites territory.
                              ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

If I were in your shoes, and I pretty much am and will have your same goals soon, I would skip anything custom since that gets expensive. Get a good savage with adjustable trigger after you decide on caliber, get a decent scope, then ammo, spotting scope, and start practicing. You can mod that rifle later, or sell it, or keep it as a deer rifle, or whatever, and do a custom build after you gain experience and knowledge. I really think your time and money this next year is better spent on ammo amd practice. I see people throw alot of money into long range or tactical guns because they think more gear will make them shoot better, but nothing replaces trigger time. Hell, I will probably start off taking my .270 out as far as I can before I go to a better long range caliber, just because it is more money and time spent behind the trigger. Plus that all gives you time to shop and research with more understanding of what you need and want in a custom build. I guarantee what you want now will change after your practice with an off the shelf rifle and learn. Hell you may even end up getting into reloading of you aren't already, and then that opens up even more calibers that are financially viable to shoot. Where are you going to be shooting at? Just curious since I am always looking for places to try if I am near.

Comment

Working...
                                X