So I want to build a long range rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
    If I were in your shoes, and I pretty much am and will have your same goals soon, I would skip anything custom since that gets expensive. Get a good savage with adjustable trigger after you decide on caliber, get a decent scope, then ammo, spotting scope, and start practicing. You can mod that rifle later, or sell it, or keep it as a deer rifle, or whatever, and do a custom build after you gain experience and knowledge. I really think your time and money this next year is better spent on ammo amd practice. I see people throw alot of money into long range or tactical guns because they think more gear will make them shoot better, but nothing replaces trigger time. Hell, I will probably start off taking my .270 out as far as I can before I go to a better long range caliber, just because it is more money and time spent behind the trigger. Plus that all gives you time to shop and research with more understanding of what you need and want in a custom build. I guarantee what you want now will change after your practice with an off the shelf rifle and learn. Hell you may even end up getting into reloading of you aren't already, and then that opens up even more calibers that are financially viable to shoot. Where are you going to be shooting at? Just curious since I am always looking for places to try if I am near.
    A 270 can and will get you a lot farther than most think think although not as good as some other rounds. It does take good reloads and just the right components though.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Just get ya a 9mm revolver . . . ... allz you gotta do is aim 75-80 yards above target.

WRX

Comment

I tried to shoot steel with my 10/22 @ 300 yards and the hold over was hilarious.

Comment

If I were in your shoes, and I pretty much am and will have your same goals soon, I would skip anything custom since that gets expensive. Get a good savage with adjustable trigger after you decide on caliber, get a decent scope, then ammo, spotting scope, and start practicing. You can mod that rifle later, or sell it, or keep it as a deer rifle, or whatever, and do a custom build after you gain experience and knowledge. I really think your time and money this next year is better spent on ammo amd practice. I see people throw alot of money into long range or tactical guns because they think more gear will make them shoot better, but nothing replaces trigger time. Hell, I will probably start off taking my .270 out as far as I can before I go to a better long range caliber, just because it is more money and time spent behind the trigger. Plus that all gives you time to shop and research with more understanding of what you need and want in a custom build. I guarantee what you want now will change after your practice with an off the shelf rifle and learn. Hell you may even end up getting into reloading of you aren't already, and then that opens up even more calibers that are financially viable to shoot. Where are you going to be shooting at? Just curious since I am always looking for places to try if I am near.
          Thanks for the advice. I will probably shoot at the Fusion Range in Forney, only because its my buddy's range. Check it out at FusionTactical.com.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
            A 270 can and will get you a lot farther than most think think although not as good as some other rounds. It does take good reloads and just the right components though.
            Yep. I already own it so it makes the most sense to practice with. Shooting it more would give me a better justification to buy the dies and components for it.
            I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by wickedblkgt View Post
              Thanks for the advice. I will probably shoot at the Fusion Range in Forney, only because its my buddy's range. Check it out at FusionTactical.com.
              does not exist.

http://www.fusiongunrange.com does though.
              QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
                does not exist.

http://www.fusiongunrange.com does though.
                Thank you

Comment

So who is the expert on LRR on here, I need to pick your brain, for starters I need a flutted heavy barrel for a Remington 700?????

Comment

So who is the expert on LRR on here, I need to pick your brain, for starters I need a flutted heavy barrel for a Remington 700?????
                    You gonna keep this thread updated? Would like to see what direction you go, base rifle, mods, glass, caliber, etc.
                    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Why a fluted barrel?

Comment

I'm no expert but I shoot long range a good bit and compete in prs events too.

Comment

Honestly, before I spent money on a rifle, I would seek professional help. Long range shooting is a combination of chemistry, physics, and skill. Without all three, you will never get good. My advice is to first take a class and learn the fundamentals. I personally know two instructors that are top notch.

Jason Garvey - a current competition shooter that has his own private range and gives one-on-one instruction. I think his new range is north of Canton. I believe he charges $400 a day and that include rental of a precision rifle and ammo.

John Chambers - Austin TX. John is a retired Army Ranger and teaches a DMR style class that is geared more towards squad tactics and the police SWAT sniper role. I am not sure what his fees are.

Both of these guys are head and shoulders above the standard gun range instructor wannabe. They will get you banging steel in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
                            Honestly, before I spent money on a rifle, I would seek professional help. Long range shooting is a combination of chemistry, physics, and skill. Without all three, you will never get good. My advice is to first take a class and learn the fundamentals. I personally know two instructors that are top notch.

Jason Garvey - a current competition shooter that has his own private range and gives one-on-one instruction. I think his new range is north of Canton. I believe he charges $400 a day and that include rental of a precision rifle and ammo.

John Chambers - Austin TX. John is a retired Army Ranger and teaches a DMR style class that is geared more towards squad tactics and the police SWAT sniper role. I am not sure what his fees are.

Both of these guys are head and shoulders above the standard gun range instructor wannabe. They will get you banging steel in no time.
                            Jason's range is in wolfe city. It's a nice little setup and goes out to 800yds. I shot a match out there last winter.

Another instructor that is local to dfw and awesome is Josh Ruby at NTRP.

Comment

You gonna keep this thread updated? Would like to see what direction you go, base rifle, mods, glass, caliber, etc.
                              I will keep everyone updated as money can afford. I will more than likely go and buy the rifle ( Remington 700 ADL) tomorrow at Academy in .308 for $365. Next will be glass, I'm leaning heavy towards Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                                Why a fluted barrel?
                                keeps it lighter, which I'm still learning why you would lighting a heavy barrel, seems counter productive.

Comment

Working...
                                X