Skylake vs Devils Canyon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skylake vs Devils Canyon

So I've been using my old gaming rig (Phenom II X4 955) to run a server for Blue Iris and Plex, plus the normal desktop stuff including Photoshop and Illustrator. I want to upgrade as I'm planning on adding a couple of additional IP cams, and Blue Iris is really CPU intensive. Also with what I'm running there is no need discrete graphics so I'm definitely going intel for the integrated graphics and way lower TDP.

Requirements:
    24/7 up time
    Lower TDP
    Mini ITX form factor

So I'm torn between going with the i7 4790k or go with the new chipset and a i5 6600k. Its basically even money as either way I'll be buying new ram etc. With blue iris now, the Phenom is running at around 50% constantly and that goes up once plex is streaming etc.

I try to think about future upgrades I can do, so I bought ddr4, and 6th gen intel.

Comment

I'd go with the i5 6600K. MY reasoning is very much in-line with big_tiger in the fact that with the socket of the 4790K, you're pretty much topped out, performance wise, whereas if you find the 6600K lacking in the future, you can go up to the i7 in that series for the performance boost.

Comment

Working...
      X