When getting pulled over...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When getting pulled over...

Someone at work is absolutely convinced you are to cross your arms and hold them out of the window when you get pulled over and you have a firearm in the car.... They say it's the universal sign to let the cop know you are armed but not dangerous.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Is this part of that back the blue shit?

Your coworker sounds like a retard.. I just hand them my CHL when they're at the window asking for my DL, as the law requires..

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
      Your coworker sounds like a retard.. I just hand them my CHL when they're at the window asking for my DL, as the law requires..
      I can't argue with any point you made.

Another co-work was asking about guns, and how to register them when buying from an individual and some other myths they heard. I was straightening everything up for him, and they jumped in on what you should do when you get pulled over.

Comment

^this

I do keep my hands on the steering wheel until LEO is at the window and asks for my DL just so they don't think I'm reaching for something that could be construed as dangerous while they're approaching the vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteMach1 View Post
          ^this

I do keep my hands on the steering wheel until LEO is at the window and asks for my DL just so they don't think I'm reaching for something that could be construed as dangerous while they're approaching the vehicle.
          I do the same. It seems to me that it would look like you were surrendering yourself if you crossed your arms at the wrist and stuck them outside of the window, which would put them on guard.

Comment

I just wave my weapon out the window like a flag, then fire off a few rounds so that he knows it's loaded.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
              Someone at work is absolutely convinced you are to cross your arms and hold them out of the window when you get pulled over and you have a firearm in the car.... They say it's the universal sign to let the cop know you are armed but not dangerous.

Sounds like a felon giving up.
              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                Sounds like a felon giving up.
                I was just curious if anyone else had heard some crazy ass rumors like this. She was going off like it was fucking common knowledge.

Comment

I was just curious if anyone else had heard some crazy ass rumors like this. She was going off like it was fucking common knowledge.
                  I'm a LTC instructor, and also just got back from DPS LTC training class and not a swinging thing was mentioned about this. Turn dome lights on, roll window down, have license already out before officer aproaches, both hands on top of wheel, do not reach for anything.
                  "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                  http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                  Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                  Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                  http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                  www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                  sigpic

Comment

I turn the interior light on, roll the window down, and sit with my hands on the wheel, my seat belt on, and looking straight ahead until they approach and ask for anything. The night I went to jail for unsafe speed, I did rest my hands on the window seal, it was dark, I'd just top ended the sherrif by about 10 mph and was slowing down when he turned the lights on. I didn't want to give him anymore reasons to be jumpy.

I do wait until they ask to see my license, then inform him\her that it's in my wallet in my back pocket before getting it and my Chl permit.

Comment

Just tell him, "yes that is correct" and go about your day.

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
                        Just tell him, "yes that is correct" and go about your day.
                        I'm not going to argue with them. I generally try to correct miss-information people spread about firearms... but this person is not worth the effort.

They were just so sure of themselves that I figured they heard it from a friend or read that shit on facebook. I was just curious if anyone else has heard of this crap. I thought it might have been something new someone came up with since the police shootings.

Comment

Gotta love Facebook!

At least the info in here is sensible. Hands on wheel, interior light on if necessary, and don't reach for shit until asked to do-so. Where do these folks come up with this shit?

Comment

I'm not going to argue with them. I generally try to correct miss-information people spread about firearms... but this person is not worth the effort.

They were just so sure of themselves that I figured they heard it from a friend or read that shit on facebook. I was just curious if anyone else has heard of this crap. I thought it might have been something new someone came up with since the police shootings.
                            Tomorrow show them my post, tell them I have been in LE a long time, and I said they were an idiot.

Oh and if your windows are tinted, roll your damn back window down on the drivers side.

One night I stopped this fellow on a dark back road. As I am marking out he throws his keys on top of the car and holds his hands up to the roof. I thought this is going to be a good story. Sure enough, a friend of a friends, uncles cousins dad was a cop an told him to do that. I told him that guy must not have liked him much and would be having a good laugh when he told him that he complied with his wishes.

There needs to be a semester of LE before you can get out of sayyyyyyy 9th grade. Real street cops telling stories and teaching kids how the law works and why we do what we do. There would be almost zero bitching when someone got shot after a few force on force simulations. Every one of these little naïve twits would get killed or kill an unarmed person at least 5 times when I was done with them. Traffic stops at night would weird them out for sure, but I think they would get it. I have had people ride out with me before and freak out I was approaching a 4 dr, limo tinted car in the middle of the night. Just part of the job fellas.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                              Tomorrow show them my post, tell them I have been in LE a long time, and I said they were an idiot.

Oh and if your windows are tinted, roll your damn back window down on the drivers side.

One night I stopped this fellow on a dark back road. As I am marking out he throws his keys on top of the car and holds his hands up to the roof. I thought this is going to be a good story. Sure enough, a friend of a friends, uncles cousins dad was a cop an told him to do that. I told him that guy must not have liked him much and would be having a good laugh when he told him that he complied with his wishes.

There needs to be a semester of LE before you can get out of sayyyyyyy 9th grade. Real street cops telling stories and teaching kids how the law works and why we do what we do. There would be almost zero bitching when someone got shot after a few force on force simulations. Every one of these little naïve twits would get killed or kill an unarmed person at least 5 times when I was done with them. Traffic stops at night would weird them out for sure, but I think they would get it. I have had people ride out with me before and freak out I was approaching a 4 dr, limo tinted car in the middle of the night. Just part of the job fellas.
                              I roll all the windows down, turn off the car, keep my hands on the wheel, and immediately tell the officer I have a weapon in the car and where it is. I announce my movements, and i'm generally polite and respectful. I'm not all pro cop movement, but I don't see a need to elevate an already stressful situation. I'd say 90% of the time I get a warning and the officer tells me he appreciates my consideration.

The worst I've gotten so far is "don't reach for yours and I won't reach for mine".

Comment

Working...
                              X