No announcement yet.

When getting pulled over...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whattt......... I even thought about that as I was typing and then forgot to correct it. You don't have to be a English major to do mighty fine police work. I would like to say this site has helped me a lot with report writing!
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I just give the JBT the DL/LTC and ask for the ticket so I can leave.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
        Whattt......... I even thought about that as I was typing and then forgot to correct it. You don't have to be a English major to do mighty fine police work. I would like to say this site has helped me a lot with report writing!
        same here lol
        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I usually roll the widows down, turn the dome light on and put my hands on the steering wheel along with keys on the dash.

Of course, not till all my cousins get out the van.

The count may be off, but a lot do get out as they flee from the cops after being pulled over on the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
            I'm a LTC instructor, and also just got back from DPS LTC training class and not a swinging thing was mentioned about this. Turn dome lights on, roll window down, have license already out before officer aproaches, both hands on top of wheel, do not reach for anything.
            this is a little inconsistent with my LTC class. the instructors were two retired officers who recommended not removing your hands from the wheel until the officer was at the window and (as Craizie pointed out) announcing your movement.
            the instructor specifically stated you do not want to give the officer the perception you could be grabbing "something dangerous" before they get to the vehicle. if the officer is watching you reach for stuff in your back pocket through the back window it could potentially be enough to set them on alert.

in a perfect world without unstable people, this wouldn't be a conversation.
            _

Comment

I pull over, roll down the drivers window, shut off the car, and turn on the interior lights if it's dark. I don't keep my hands on the wheel, but I sit still so it doesn't look like I'm trying to stash shit.

I hadn't thought about rolling down the rear drivers side glass, but it makes sense.

I do always shut off the car, but that is because I have heard officers ask people to that before. I did have my son with my once when he was young, and asked if I could leave the car running for the AC.

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
              Don't you guys have all the insurance info electronically now? Do you really need to see a piece of paper nowadays?
              I was pulled over last week in Euless and the cop didn't even ask for my insurance.

He also handed my LTC back without even looking at it, and didn't ask where the gun was (I have been asked a couple of times, but they just say ok, please leave it there). He was an older Sergeant though, which I have found are usually a little more laid back..

Comment

OP friend's an idiot.

That said, I do the whole car off, window down, hands on wheel, interior lights on if it's night, wallet on dash. When he asks for ID, I announce I am a carrier and I am/am not carrying and gun is at X location. I then tell him what my movements will be if I didn't put the wallet on the dash and if insurance is in the glove box.
                "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteMach1 View Post
                  this is a little inconsistent with my LTC class. the instructors were two retired officers who recommended not removing your hands from the wheel until the officer was at the window and (as Craizie pointed out) announcing your movement.
                  the instructor specifically stated you do not want to give the officer the perception you could be grabbing "something dangerous" before they get to the vehicle. if the officer is watching you reach for stuff in your back pocket through the back window it could potentially be enough to set them on alert.

_
                  That's if you can have it accessible before he even gets out, not grabbing anything while he's walking up. I don't sit on my wallet, usually it's laying right next to me. It's always gonna come down to common sense.
                  "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                  http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                  Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                  Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                  http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                  www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteMach1 View Post

_
                    Yeah digging around while stopping or while we are approaching gives us the opportunity to check the area you were digging for weapons. Usually they are stashing a meth pipe!
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Let me be clear, I was not stating to dig around haha
                      "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                      Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                        OP friend's an idiot.

That said, I do the whole car off, window down, hands on wheel, interior lights on if it's night, wallet on dash. When he asks for ID, I announce I am a carrier and I am/am not carrying and gun is at X location. I then tell him what my movements will be if I didn't put the wallet on the dash and if insurance is in the glove box.
                        Co-worker, not a friend.

Comment

Good advice here and exactly what I do. I learned the hard way back in the early 90's when I had an Irving Police Office pull me out of my car at gun point late one night off of 183. I made the stupid mistake of having my insurance card tucked between the passenger seat and the transmission tunnel and you can only imagine what happened next. WTF was I thinking. Lesson learned and the office explained the error of my ways afterwards. And he was real nice about it and we talked cars for a bit after that.

And I for the life of me have never been let off with a warning when I've shown my CHL. Must be a white thing

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                            And I for the life of me have never been let off with a warning when I've shown my CHL. Must be a white thing
                            Nope, nothing white about it. I've never had it get me out of a ticket either.
                            G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
                              Turn dome lights on, roll window down, have license already out before officer aproaches, both hands on top of wheel, do not reach for anything.
                              Not getting your license or insurance is what Jason is saying below. It's best not to do anything until asked. I do everything you posted except go digging for my license & insurance before he/she gets to the vehicle.

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                              Yeah digging around while stopping or while we are approaching gives us the opportunity to check the area you were digging for weapons.
                              Exactly, I pull over (usually into a side street or business as to not be on the road, IF its near), I roll down both windows*, and put my hands on the steering wheel. Only after they ask for my info do I reach for anything. I've made it a habit of keeping my insurance in my wallet so I don't have to open the glove box and have a cold beer fall out...

*Thanks for the heads up on rolling down the drivers side rear window, I drive my wifes Fusion quite a bit and have never done this.
                              Last edited by Rick Modena; 08-24-2016, 12:14 PM.
                              Originally posted by Silverback
                              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                                Not getting your license or insurance is what Jason is saying below. It's best not to do anything until asked. I do everything you posted except go digging for my license & insurance.

Exactly, I pull over (usually into a side street or business as to not be on the road, IF its near), I roll down both windows*, and put my hands on the steering wheel. Only after they ask for my info do I reach for anything. I've made it a habit of keeping my insurance in my wallet so I don't have to open the glove box and have a cold beer fall out...

*Thanks for the heads up on rolling down the drivers side rear window, I drive my wifes Fusion quite a bit and have never done this.
                                Once again folks I did not say dig around, I said specifically not to dig around, I said if accessible, but if not DO NOT dig around....I think we are all on same page just clarifying what I said.

FFL & LTC Instructor
                                Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X