'13 Civic LX sound quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '13 Civic LX sound quality

This is probably best answered by EW, but here goes.

I've had my '13 Civic LX coupe for a few years now and the sound quality is alright. Bass is lacking, and over all sound stage seems a bit weak. After doing some reading on Honda forums, it seems that Honda has done something with the head units to limit the power going to the rear speakers and using them simply for fill, they are open air. The front door speakers are sealed and I have the gratuitous tweeters in the door panels. A lot of people recommend adding an LCQ-1, though I was wondering if there was a less expensive option.

What I am looking for is a little better sound quality and more low end. I listen to a very wide variety of music that covers the spectrum. I'm not necessarily looking to change the component though it is certainly an option. I was originally thinking of adding a sub in the trunk to fill in the low end, though I use my trunk to haul barricades, signs, and tools for work so I would have to go small, something like an 8" which would probably meet my needs.

In my '97 civic coupe I ran the following setup:

factory head unit
    Planet Audio 4.100 amp powering the factory components
    JL 12w3 in a ported enclosure with its own amp

I got a lot of compliments on the sound quality of that set up, however, I did it mostly for the bass and amped the components so that the bass didn't over power them.

I'm not sure if the head unit in the '97 had the same condition where it limited power to the rear speakers or not.

I'm not looking to put together a big budget build, I put 500-600 miles a week on my car and have a lot of seat time, driving to and from work and around the subdivision I work in so I want to enjoy it a little more.

I have an old school Kove 504 that I've been hanging on to for FAR too long, not sure if it is of any use being 14 years old or not.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

The factory speakers suck but replacing them may not improve the bass that much.
    If your Honda does not have a factory subwoofer, then it MAY not even have bass output. We can connect a RTA and see for sure. Attached is a picture of the speaker output on a 2016 Accord without a factory amp or sub. Best case it would be a flat line. See how the left drops off? That is all the bass being electronically removed by the factory headunit. If the factory system does not have bass output, you are not going to have normal bass output by adding an amp and sub unless everything is cranked up. An aftermarket deck fixes this problem but adds to the cost.

All is not lost if you keep the factory deck. Just add a 5ch amp, new speakers, and as big a sub as you can handle.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
      The factory speakers suck but replacing them may not improve the bass that much.
      If your Honda does not have a factory subwoofer, then it MAY not even have bass output. We can connect a RTA and see for sure. Attached is a picture of the speaker output on a 2016 Accord without a factory amp or sub. Best case it would be a flat line. See how the left drops off? That is all the bass being electronically removed by the factory headunit. If the factory system does not have bass output, you are not going to have normal bass output by adding an amp and sub unless everything is cranked up. An aftermarket deck fixes this problem but adds to the cost.

All is not lost if you keep the factory deck. Just add a 5ch amp, new speakers, and as big a sub as you can handle.
      Thank you. I am all the way out in Greenville, so it is a stretch for me to have you hook it up to see, though judging by the way I have it set up just to have some depth, that is exactly what it looks like.

I don't have the premium sound set up and have zero desire to swap the head unit unless it was for a factory unit with the proper output. I've been through one too many break ins for my shiny stereos to deal with all of that BS!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I'll have to get pics and video but EW did the sound in my 14 accord.. We went with the Fix82 jl processor and focal components with jl w3 on 1000/5 amp run full active with no rear speakers. It gets down.

Comment

BTW EW has the processor for the fix 82 come out yet? I'm ready for more.

Comment

Yes it has. It is amazing.
            System Tuning DSP with Digital Optical Input / 8-ch. Stereo RCA Outputs / 1 Digital Optical Output ? The TwK? D8 is a state-of-the-art digital signal processor engineered to deliver world-class system tuning capabilities in an easy-to-use format. Equipped with an advanced 24-bit DSP processor, the TwK? D8 is equipped with a digital optical (Toslink) input and connects directly to our FiX? 82 OEM Integration DSP, or any 2-channel digital (S/PDIF) output, to maintain an all-digital signal path. The TwK? D8 is also equipped with flexible output options, 80 total bands of equalization and powerful mixing tools. The included DRC-200 Digital Remote Controller offers dual level controls, toggles up to six presets, and has an LED indicator. Control the TwK? D8’s entire feature set by connecting it to your PC via USB, using the companion T?N? Software interface. All-digital, optical (Toslink) input connects directly to any digital (S/PDIF) output. Flexible input mixer allows left and right input channels to be combined with full control over each input’s level and polarity. 8 banks of 10-band graphic or parametric equalizers with configurable EQ assignment Powerful crossover section with fully variable, high-pass and low-pass filters, crossover slopes are selectable from 6 dB/octave to 48 dB/octave (in 6 dB/octave increments) Configurable polarity and delay settings, with separate entries for speaker distance plus offset control; fully linkable with other channels, in any combination, for adjustment Precise output level controls, adjustable in 0.5 or 0.1 dB increments, fully linkable with other channels, in any combination 8 analog, line-level RCA output jacks (4V RMS) Optical (Toslink) output jack provides a pass-through digital audio (S/PDIF) signal from any pair of input channels, with no signal processing applied. Download and test-drive all T?N? software versions in simulation mode for free (no TwK hardware needed). Learn More Power Supply Type Regulated DC-DC SMPS Input Operating Voltage 10 - 16 VDC Standby Current Draw <1.5 mA Operating Current Draw 0.7 A Recommended Fuse Value 1 A Input Channels Single Digital Input Input Type Differential-Balanced Input Voltage Range 250 mV - 7.1 V RMS Minimum Input Voltage 10 mV RMS Input Level Setting N/A Output Channels Eight Analog Output Unbalanced, stereo RCA jacks Digital Output Optical (Toslink) output (S/PDIF) Output Impedance 450 Ω Latency Optical - Optical: 4.860 mS Optical - Analog: 4.805 mS S/N Ratio 96 dB (A-Weighted, referred to 4V RMS Output) THD+N @ Rated Output 0.02% (20 Hz - 20 kHz) Audio Resolution 24 bit / 48 kHz Number of EQ Bands 10 x 8 Channels Remote Level Control Included (DRC-200) Remote Level Functions Master Volume Control + Trim; Master Volume Control + Fader; Zone Control, LED Status Reporting Height (H) 1.85 in / 47 mm Width (W) 4.29 in / 109 mm Depth (D) 6.14 in / 156 mm Net Weight 2.58 lb / 1.17 kg JLid™ Summary:JLid™ is JL Audio's protocol for digital controllers and for communication of settings between devices (not for audio signals). Detailed Information:JLid™ offers two-way communication for a range of accessories, including the following:?? ?Wired System Controllers: DRC-100, DRC-200, DRC-205?? ?Bluetooth? Communicator: VXi-BTC?? ?Networking Accessory: VXi-HUB JL Audio FiX? and TwK??processors each feature one “JLid™ Port”, designed for connection of a wired controller.?? ?JL Audio VXi amplifiers offer powerful networking capabilities via JLid™, to deliver single-point control of multiple amplifiers in a system. This allows the user to adjust levels (Volume, Fader, Balance, Zone Level) and to select from multiple DSP presets, across an entire group of networked amplifiers. JL Audio VXi amplifiers each feature separate “JLid™ Control” and “JLid™ Comm” ports. Please refer to the VXi product manual and our Help Center for details. JLid™ connections are made via standard CAT-5e cables. Download ?TwK-D8 Product Manual ? Download: Firmware Updates to connect with T?N? 2.0 Help Center Articles: TwK System Tuning Processors USA Limited Warranty: ?Two (2) years from the original date of purchaseWarranty Details ? Find the answers to many common questions: ?

Comment

Working...
            X