Harbor Freight tube bender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight tube bender

I want to bend some aluminum tubing to the following shape. Will I be able to do this with the tube bender HF sells? 1.25" tubing I think.

The radius doesn't have to be that tight, size for reference would be approximately 36" high, 24" wide. Drawing not to scale
    Last edited by barronj; 08-06-2018, 03:22 PM.
    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

What is the OD of the tubing?
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

1.25 or 1.5 I think. Whatever matches what's currently on the boat.

It has this railing around the windshield, but I want it higher, a "burn bar", or something I can stand on the console and hang on to/rest against

want it to look more like:

Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Nice looking boat; I have always liked that style.

I do not believe that you are going to be happy with the appearance of the bends that the HF bender will give you. There are techniques for making good bends with a press bender and you may want to research them before you buy the bender.

Your best bet is to see if what you want is available commercially. Failing that it would be pretty easy to fab something up out of bends, straight tubing, and a TIG welder that would look much nicer than one you bend.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
          Nice looking boat; I have always liked that style.

I do not believe that you are going to be happy with the appearance of the bends that the HF bender will give you. There are techniques for making good bends with a press bender and you may want to research them before you buy the bender.

Your best bet is to see if what you want is available commercially. Failing that it would be pretty easy to fab something up out of bends, straight tubing, and a TIG welder that would look much nicer than one you bend.
          Thanks for the compliment and tips. There are so many console variations that nobody offers an OTS burn bar, and as I'm wanting to use my pre-existing holes, I'll need to buy bases that match what's currently on there. Just trying to trim costs where I can with sweat equity and a small capital investment. If I could find a reaonably priced spool gun that would fit my millermatic 175, I'd buy it and do it all myself; was planning to pay a guy who's already built a rod holder off the back for me to weld it up.

I'll take your advice and look in to the technique before I spend money.

Comment

If Matt still has his bender that is a pretty easy job.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I'm in Austin :^\

Comment

Originally posted by barronj View Post
                Well, that would be a nonstarter.

Can't say I wouldn't be trying to do it myself. And I live 2 miles from Matt's shop and about 6 miles from Brooks' house.
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Go to techshop.

Comment

Easy to cut it in half and just extend it by welding in same diameter pipe to make it taller

Comment

Agreed, you will not be happy with the HF bender. works great for plumbing or electric pipe but not for looks. I know first hand.

Comment

I have boat envy. Nice rig

Do I remember right that you have/ had a place in rockport?

Comment

Most cheap shit hydraulic benders are going to bend the radius of the tubing. You are going to need something like the Woodward Fab, Pro Tools or Baileigh benders and those things are money once you start buying the dies.
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Kart21
                            Agreed, you will not be happy with the HF bender. works great for plumbing or electric pipe but not for looks. I know first hand.
                            Appreciate it, won't go this route

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                            Go to techshop.
                            I looked in to this. Pretty amazing. I'll let you know if I end up going this route. There's one in Round Rock, about 40 minutes from my house, but seems like I'm showing in this area all the time anyway, so I'm not shy about the drive.

Originally posted by Treybiz View Post
                            I have boat envy. Nice rig

Do I remember right that you have/ had a place in rockport?
                            Thanks. It came with a 4 stroke 150 on it (all 2015), I upped to a 2016 250 2 stroke in January of this year. Speed went from 44mph to 60mph, and it jumps out of the hole a lot better now.

The Rockport house dodged a bullet. Zero damage, just bunch of trees down. A few houses (3) had some roof damage, 3 out of 16 is incredible compared to the rest of town. It's severely hobbled.

My place is the white+blue home with the storm boards still mostly up. Pics taken day after Harvey hit (Saturday), and then again a week later when I went back to work on it for a few days.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like barronj.
                            Last edited by barronj; 10-02-2017, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks. It came with a 4 stroke 150 on it (all 2015), I upped to a 2016 250 2 stroke in January of this year. Speed went from 44mph to 60mph, and it jumps out of the hole a lot better now.

The Rockport house dodged a bullet. Zero damage, just bunch of trees down. A few houses (3) had some roof damage, 3 out of 16 is incredible compared to the rest of town. It's severely hobbled.

My place is the white+blue home with the storm boards still mostly up. Pics taken day after Harvey hit (Saturday), and then again a week later when I went back to work on it for a few days.

Glad to see it weathered the storm. I've been down a few times since the storm and some of your pictures look familiar. My aunt and uncle live near Ace Hardware on 35. My dad grew up in "old rockport" so we have lots of family ties there.

Comment

Working...
                              X