No announcement yet.

Cosigned on student loan - am i screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a credit expert by any means but about 18 years ago I fucked mine up good and it took forever to get it right again so I would advise not doing that. I would start with going onto any bureau of yours that it is reported on and then begin to dispute anything related to the loans relentlessly. Sooner or later they should slip up and the item will fall off with no ability on their end to re-attach it. I'm not sure if that happens though that if once he defaults would it show up again or not? Its just a thought. If you're really going to burn the bridge here, call his job and lay it out there for his boss to show him how unethical the guy is. Threatening his livelihood will get his attention for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
      Don’t listen to this forum either. I would go get a bottle of cheap bourbon and consult it. Listen to the liquor, it will tell you what to do.
      Fuck off, Mr. Lahey!

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
      and for the first time in a long time made me lol
      Stop being such a miserable prick?

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
        From Sallie Mae's website:

What if the student dies or becomes disabled?
        If a student dies or becomes permanently and totally disabled, we’ll waive all remaining payments on their Sallie Mae student loan. Call us at 800-472-5543.

Personally I'd contact the lender and see what they suggest. Most will have some kind of cosigner release form but they won't make it easy to find. There are also many ways to get student loan debt forgiven.
        This is a private student loan, not a government backed student loan. NONE of the graces applied to government backed student loans apply to private loans.

I've talked to the lender many times. All they've ever done is lower the interest rate for a short term due to hardship after the payments haven't been paid for a certain amount of time. I've tried refinancing the loan many times but no one will refinance with him on the loan, only if I remove him and I'm not doing that as it would completely relieve him of any legal responsibility to the debt.

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
        I'm not a credit expert by any means but about 18 years ago I fucked mine up good and it took forever to get it right again so I would advise not doing that. I would start with going onto any bureau of yours that it is reported on and then begin to dispute anything related to the loans relentlessly. Sooner or later they should slip up and the item will fall off with no ability on their end to re-attach it. I'm not sure if that happens though that if once he defaults would it show up again or not? Its just a thought. If you're really going to burn the bridge here, call his job and lay it out there for his boss to show him how unethical the guy is. Threatening his livelihood will get his attention for sure.
        I'm starting with an attorney. We'll see what they have to say. I've done a bit of Google'ing in the past and pretty much everything says I'm in for the long haul. I'm tired of making this payment so I'm going to see if an attorney can make a shot across the bow or something that will scare this guy into making the payments before I get nasty.

Comment

Post their names.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
            The problem is that the law protects the scumbags. Same reason I didn't go kick the shit out of the junkyard owner that screwed me for $1k.The law says "It's a civil matter, handle it in civil court", but civil court has no teeth to get you justice. If you handle it with vigilante justice, THEN it becomes a criminal matter.

Now, if we had a civil court like Britain's high court, where they will come in and take your shit without exceptions, then things would be different.
            Fucking pansy. I went after Skip (the owner) at Highway Auto Parts in Lewisville when I was 19 because he jacked me around on a $1,200 tab. His employees knew me and knew to stay out of my way and told him he was on his own. Once he ran out of room to run he sat down and negotiated. Sometimes force is the only option.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
              Fuck off, Mr. Lahey!

Stop being such a miserable prick?
              I should have clarified that it's the first time to LOL based on something posted on these forums. Because people like you only know how to repeat "jokes" from other people.

CNC in 3...2....1

Comment

Fuck off, Mr. Lahey!
                You're not listening to the liquor, Randy
                Originally posted by racrguy
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Originally posted by racrguy
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

I should have clarified that it's the first time to LOL based on something posted on these forums.
                  I don't believe you, you miserable prick!

Comment

I don't believe you, you miserable prick!
                    Damn I missed the edit

Comment

Make friends with him again and Take him out, get him wasted, lots of cocaine and hookers! Lots of photos! Next day give him a copy of the evidence and negotiate him making payments or you’ll send to his work and wife..

Now u don’t gotta beat his ass or anything physical.. I doubt he could press charges for extortion since he’d only be paying his own bill!

Should be way less expensive than attorney fees and court costs!
                      "PSH!!!"

Comment

Damn I missed the edit
                        The edit was to remove HTML of your cleverly placed whine of the CNC posturing which blew up in your face. I mean, you being a miserable prick really explains a lot. Keep pressing that F5 key. Maybe you'll catch it next time!

Comment

The edit was to remove HTML of your cleverly placed whine of the CNC posturing which blew up in your face. I mean, you being a miserable prick really explains a lot.
                          Hahahaha blew up in my face?!?! As in worked exactly as intended? Do you know english?

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                            Make friends with him again and Take him out, get him wasted, lots of cocaine and hookers! Lots of photos! Next day give him a copy of the evidence and negotiate him making payments or you’ll send to his work and wife..

Now u don’t gotta beat his ass or anything physical.. I doubt he could press charges for extortion since he’d only be paying his own bill!

Should be way less expensive than attorney fees and court costs!

We’re still friends enough that he’d come over and wrench on my Mustang if I asked him to. He’d of course tell me multiple times while he was here that he intends to pay the bill and then never pay it.

and I’m fairly certain my wife would disapprove of that plan, even if it got us out from under this debt.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                              We’re still friends enough that he’d come over and wrench on my Mustang if I asked him to. He’d of course tell me multiple times while he was here that he intends to pay the bill and then never pay it.

and I’m fairly certain my wife would disapprove of that plan, even if it got us out from under this debt.
                              Now you’re just making excuses! Lol
                              "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                                Fucking pansy. I went after Skip (the owner) at Highway Auto Parts in Lewisville when I was 19 because he jacked me around on a $1,200 tab. His employees knew me and knew to stay out of my way and told him he was on his own. Once he ran out of room to run he sat down and negotiated. Sometimes force is the only option.
                                Honestly, your stories are questionable to say the least. In real life, I would have sat in jail making no money and still been out $1k. I chalked it up as a loss, moved on and I've made far more than that.

Comment

Working...
                                X