Pay for estimates ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay for estimates ?

Contacted a company recommended to me for a rain gutter and catchment system installation. Got message when I tried to set up an appointment that they wanted $30 for the estimate because it was a long drive. I do live a ways out down in the Hill Country .. I told him to get lost. Am I being unreasonable ?
    I swear, If any of you guys wanna make a fortune and you're half way competent in a trade, get your ass down here. Its next to impossible to hire anyone that can do the job and show up on time..

Considering they probably get plenty of work without having to drive that far, I'd say it's not too unreasonable. Going with a referral is nice but if it's that big of a deal, can you find someone that services that area?

Comment

bro. you know how many times they have likely driven out to some asshole's place to bid and dealt with said asshole, but never got the job?

now you may not be an asshole, but the twenty assholes before you were enough. the twenty trips and wasted time were more than enough to skew their perception.

they may not see the juice as worth the squeeze anymore if you are that far out, but any business owner knows sometimes have to take chances to make money.

Comment

also, they likely have the $30 in place to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Comment

^^^^exactly this^^^^

The $30 isnt to make money...its to make sure you're serious and discourage pointless quotes when you already have enough work.

Comment

Originally posted by jammeejamm View Post
            bro. you know how many times they have likely driven out to some asshole's place to bid and dealt with said asshole, but never got the job?

now you may not be an asshole, but the twenty assholes before you were enough. the twenty trips and wasted time were more than enough to skew their perception.

they may not see the juice as worth the squeeze anymore if you are that far out, but any business owner knows sometimes have to take chances to make money.
            On the flip side, do you know how many assholes I've had scheduled for an estimate that never showed up? Trying to get a roofer, mower, or a brick layer to honor his word is a nightmare. Where's my $30 for the inconvenience of rearranging my day for a no show?

Comment

It's more and more common to charge for a quote and then apply that fee to the bill if you go with them.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                Contacted a company recommended to me for a rain gutter and catchment system installation. Got message when I tried to set up an appointment that they wanted $30 for the estimate because it was a long drive. I do live a ways out down in the Hill Country .. I told him to get lost. Am I being unreasonable ?
                I swear, If any of you guys wanna make a fortune and you're half way competent in a trade, get your ass down here. Its next to impossible to hire anyone that can do the job and show up on time..
                My buddy just went through a shit load of contractors due to no shows or showing up days later or even calling days later. Even the ones he hired are on their own schedule and he is in Red Oak. I will be glad when the housing market takes a little down turn. Things have tripled in price and all the good contractors are scheduled out now a days.

Oh, and fucking gutters are easy to hang. Get your ass out there and hang em. I have a huge rain barrel on the back porch right now I am going to use to catch my aquarium water. Just not motivated myself to get er done.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                  My buddy just went through a shit load of contractors due to no shows or showing up days later or even calling days later. Even the ones he hired are on their own schedule and he is in Red Oak. I will be glad when the housing market takes a little down turn. Things have tripled in price and all the good contractors are scheduled out now a days.

Oh, and fucking gutters are easy to hang. Get your ass out there and hang em. I have a huge rain barrel on the back porch right now I am going to use to catch my aquarium water. Just not motivated myself to get er done.
                  I agree gutters are easy, but I want seamless and about 5-10,000 gallon catchment tank. (SOB would be full if it were up already)...
                  They texted me early today and said they would "be in the area" so no charge to stop by. They just left, so I wasn't an asshole no show. I WILL get 2 estimates though. I have no clue what this shit could or will run..
                  Having just finished building this place, I am SOOOOOO tired of contractors. Between the no shows and the sob stories, I'm tired.. We're probably 2 months over time on this project, but its freakin done...

Comment

as a project manager, the ability of some of these people to no-show appointments and work on their own asshole schedule drives me crazy at how they can still manage to make a good living having such poor time management skills

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                      It's more and more common to charge for a quote and then apply that fee to the bill if you go with them.
                      This is how it should be imo.

You want them to come look at your stuff and give you an estimate, but some how asking for their time to do it isn't worth paying them for it?

Come on now.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
                        how they can still manage to make a good living having such poor time management skills
                        I want to believe that the ones who try to maintain the basics (show up) will survive longer than the ones who just treat everyone like crap right now - only because they can.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                          ....I have a huge rain barrel on the back porch right now I am going to use to catch my aquarium water. Just not motivated myself to get er done.
                          I would not do that. Roof runoff from asphalt shingles has a lot of toxic chemicals and fiberglass particles in it. Not good for your fish.

Comment

What is the 30 for. I dont see alot of people charging for estimates. As much as there is out there now, why would anyone charge to give an estimate. Everyone is overloaded with work and making lots of money and they even know they are over pricing their work.

Comment

I'd love to find a contractor that has shit together. They are all very busy so seem to be doing wtf ever they want.

I've been trying to get a garage built for awhile now and have easily talked to 10+ people now who will come do this or that or write a estimate but can't get back with me. Even had a few show up take measurements etc never to be heard from again.

The best offer I've got so far is someone just giving me the go away price. (55k for a 26x26 unfinished garage. GTFO!)
                              1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
                              1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
                              2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

Working...
                              X