DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum Forum for motorcycle questions and ride GTGs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
NTexas_V-Star
Finger On The Trigger
 
NTexas_V-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Slinging rocks on the corner
Posts: 4,618
Default What about the Arkansas Dragon? Highway 123

Anyone ever hit this one? I'm looking at heading up there in September.
__________________
Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag
NTexas_V-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
dsrtuckteezy
DON = Fucking awesome
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boise
Posts: 6,099
Default

that's just a small part, but there is lots of good riding up there. hwy 7, 27 up to norfork, push mountain road back, ride to oark for lunch, etc... I've been up there a handful of times and ridden all the good shit. Such a nice area that's semi close to texas.
dsrtuckteezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
Mach1
rm -rf /
 
Mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Royse City, TX
Posts: 9,098
Default

Good shit up there, pig trail (23), anywhere in the ozarks really, also good stuff in Mark Twain national forest in Missouri
__________________
WTB:A9P Computer, please let me know if you have one.
Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php
Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:13 PM   #4
NTexas_V-Star
Finger On The Trigger
 
NTexas_V-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Slinging rocks on the corner
Posts: 4,618
Default

Got a cabin booked up there near Jasper for Labor Day Weekend, I'm going to rip around on the KTM and see the sights and the twisty roads. Should be a good time.
__________________
Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag
NTexas_V-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #5
TX_92_Notch
Just a nobody
 
TX_92_Notch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,509
Default

Man, there are a myriad of good roads in the area around Jasper. I've been 5 times and had a shit-eating grin on my face the whole time.

It's been nearly 10 years since I've been though. It's amazing what 5 kids does to a sport bike riding schedule.
TX_92_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #6
NTexas_V-Star
Finger On The Trigger
 
NTexas_V-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Slinging rocks on the corner
Posts: 4,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
that's just a small part, but there is lots of good riding up there. hwy 7, 27 up to norfork, push mountain road back, ride to oark for lunch, etc... I've been up there a handful of times and ridden all the good shit. Such a nice area that's semi close to texas.
I looked up Oark....did you eat at the General Store? Good grub?
__________________
Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag
NTexas_V-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:55 AM   #7
NTexas_V-Star
Finger On The Trigger
 
NTexas_V-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Slinging rocks on the corner
Posts: 4,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
Man, there are a myriad of good roads in the area around Jasper. I've been 5 times and had a shit-eating grin on my face the whole time.

It's been nearly 10 years since I've been though. It's amazing what 5 kids does to a sport bike riding schedule.
I usually go up to North Carolina for the one true Dragon in Robbinsville each summer, but not this year. So this is the alternative. I'm hoping its good shit. Might have to throw it in the yearly rotation of weekend trips.
__________________
Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag
NTexas_V-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #8
NTexas_V-Star
Finger On The Trigger
 
NTexas_V-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Slinging rocks on the corner
Posts: 4,618
Default

I made it out there in September, the roads were pretty good, but that time of year, there were FAR too many deer to really let it hang out. Just wasn't safe. But awesome scenery, excellent food at the Ozark Cafe.
__________________
Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag
NTexas_V-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:39 PM   #9
ram57ta
Lifer
 
ram57ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas
Posts: 8,350
Default

I've ridden a ton of those roads all over Arkansas on my Blackbird and on a KTM 690 Enduro R. Had a blast on both.
ram57ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:42 AM   #10
Labora
Lifer
 
Labora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,848
Default

Been in/around AR for many road trips. 3-4 trips in my Miata and one in the bike.

Here is roughly route I did in 2016 I seem to change it a bit each time but most of the area has good signage on speeds thru turns and roads are generally in decent shape.

I usually shoot to Hotsprings on first night since it is a boring straight shot. Then head NorthEast and work my way back SouthWest.

Of note for me, trip up to and down road to Norfolk (341), I usually stay in the town Mountain View near there.

Can't go wrong with most of the roads that go in/around the national park, I usually stop in hole in wall in Oark for food and spend night in Van Buren.

After that head down to Mena AR and hit Talimena Scenic Drive.


Last trip was in 2019 and I spent a day Kayaking near Mountain Home, was a good break from sitting on bike all day.

https://imgur.com/qCRCfJc

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Hot+...35.9367399!3e0

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Alli...35.9089643!3e0

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mars...d35.436756!3e0

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Van+...33.1384488!3e0
__________________
1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Last edited by Labora; 02-18-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Labora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:16 AM   #11
NTexas_V-Star
Finger On The Trigger
 
NTexas_V-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Slinging rocks on the corner
Posts: 4,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labora View Post
Been in/around AR for many road trips. 3-4 trips in my Miata and one in the bike.

Here is roughly route I did in 2016 I seem to change it a bit each time but most of the area has good signage on speeds thru turns and roads are generally in decent shape.

I usually shoot to Hotsprings on first night since it is a boring straight shot. Then head NorthEast and work my way back SouthWest.

Of note for me, trip up to and down road to Norfolk (341), I usually stay in the town Mountain View near there.

Can't go wrong with most of the roads that go in/around the national park, I usually stop in hole in wall in Oark for food and spend night in Van Buren.

After that head down to Mena AR and hit Talimena Scenic Drive.


Last trip was in 2019 and I spent a day Kayaking near Mountain Home, was a good break from sitting on bike all day.

https://imgur.com/qCRCfJc

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Hot+...35.9367399!3e0

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Alli...35.9089643!3e0

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mars...d35.436756!3e0

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Van+...33.1384488!3e0

I'm going to take the zx10r on a little trip up there this spring or early summer. Probably head from here (sherman) up to mena, then from there to jasper. From there probably head east for a while, then come back south and eventually make my way back home. Do it over the course of a 4-6 days. Should be a good time.
__________________
Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag
NTexas_V-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:07 PM   #12
Labora
Lifer
 
Labora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas_V-Star View Post
I'm going to take the zx10r on a little trip up there this spring or early summer. Probably head from here (sherman) up to mena, then from there to jasper. From there probably head east for a while, then come back south and eventually make my way back home. Do it over the course of a 4-6 days. Should be a good time.
Talimena scenic drive is great but when I went in 2019 the road needed work compared to prior years. I got caught coming through right after mowers one year, that was a nightmare. View is always nice.

Stayed in Jasper at least twice at the cheap Riverview hotel. Apparently they do a lot of river trips out of that town but it is seasonal and for whatever reason every time I have come through town it has been out of season so the river is down to nothing.

Ozark Cafe in Jasper is pretty decent for food not much else of note other than a few antique shops.

Push Mountain RD is the most challenging road in the area IMO and the one to do if you are on a bike like that, just be aware of gravel in a few places. It looked like it had been fairly freshly paved around 2018 as the first time I went in 2014 or so it was falling apart.
__________________
1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
2012 Mazda 3 - Daily
Labora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:51 PM   #13
NTexas_V-Star
Finger On The Trigger
 
NTexas_V-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Slinging rocks on the corner
Posts: 4,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labora View Post
Talimena scenic drive is great but when I went in 2019 the road needed work compared to prior years. I got caught coming through right after mowers one year, that was a nightmare. View is always nice.

Stayed in Jasper at least twice at the cheap Riverview hotel. Apparently they do a lot of river trips out of that town but it is seasonal and for whatever reason every time I have come through town it has been out of season so the river is down to nothing.

Ozark Cafe in Jasper is pretty decent for food not much else of note other than a few antique shops.

Push Mountain RD is the most challenging road in the area IMO and the one to do if you are on a bike like that, just be aware of gravel in a few places. It looked like it had been fairly freshly paved around 2018 as the first time I went in 2014 or so it was falling apart.
Push Mountain RD....I'll look into it
__________________
Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag
NTexas_V-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:04 PM   #14
Labora
Lifer
 
Labora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,848
Default

aka 341

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Alli...35.9089643!3e0
__________________
1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
2012 Mazda 3 - Daily
Labora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:25 AM   #15
NTexas_V-Star
Finger On The Trigger
 
NTexas_V-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Slinging rocks on the corner
Posts: 4,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labora View Post
that's what I thought. Looks like a fun road from the map. I'm looking at heading up there and riding it, and also out by Canyon TX there's a...canyon....with a twisty road in it. I've heard good things about it too.
__________________
Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag
NTexas_V-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:42 AM   #16
dsrtuckteezy
DON = Fucking awesome
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boise
Posts: 6,099
Default

Twisted sisters is a good ride
dsrtuckteezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:41 PM   #17
Labora
Lifer
 
Labora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
Twisted sisters is a good ride
I think it is overrated, from DFW AR is basically the same distance as twisted sisters.

Twisted sisters roads weren't in good of shape, signage not as good or often, and cattle guards with the open pastures was a nope for me.
__________________
1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
2012 Mazda 3 - Daily
Labora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:59 PM   #18
Mach1
rm -rf /
 
Mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Royse City, TX
Posts: 9,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labora View Post
I think it is overrated, from DFW AR is basically the same distance as twisted sisters.

Twisted sisters roads weren't in good of shape, signage not as good or often, and cattle guards with the open pastures was a nope for me.
Agreed on the twisted sisters, Arkansas is orders of magnitude better in every way IMO.
__________________
WTB:A9P Computer, please let me know if you have one.
Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php
Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:40 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.