No announcement yet.

Power Outage..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do these guys want a fucking pat on the back?

Magness said on Wednesday that if operators had not acted in that moment, the state could have suffered blackouts that “could have occurred for months,” and left Texas in an “indeterminately long” crisis.

ERCOT: Texas power grid was ‘seconds, minutes’ away from catastrophic blackout event

When asked how close the grid was from having a “catastrophic blackout,” Magness said if transmission operators hadn’t reacted “very rapidly to change the situation,” things could have escalated quickly.

“We were at a level of frequency that needed to be addressed immediately,” Magness said, “and that’s what the operators did. It was seconds and minutes, given the amount of generation coming off the system at the same time the demand was still going up significantly.”

Woodfin explained there’s a “safety net” that automatically takes effect if transmission operators aren’t able to reduce load fast enough. He said the system, called under-frequency load shed, will automatically shed a percentage of load if the frequency drops really far, really fast due to severe power supply imbalance.

“They’ll automatically shed 5%, and then if it drops further, it’ll shed 10%, and then if it gets worse, it’ll shed an additional 10%, Woodfin said. “If our operators and transmission owner operators can’t shed load in a controlled way, which is what we did, by choosing which circuits are taken out, it should protect us for 25% loss in generation.”
    When it comes time to protect their money printer they'll shut it down to keep from blowing up substations, transformers, etc, but given 10 years to slowly implement improvements everything no one can be bothered.

Thank fuck we had ERCOT looking out for us!

Originally posted by Fordblue625
    Matt, just wanted to give you the kudos you deserve man. You’ve been carrying this site with well informed, factual, non bullshit data for years. Good on you.

Comment

• Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
      What this chart tells me is that solar and wind are a bunch of unreliable shit that went away five days before Natural Gas did. Thoughts?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

• So, how is Texas growing and fast over the last few years yet a better demand for a better grid system has not been proposed. Wheres Elon Musk.

Comment

• And thank our "good friend" T Boone Pickens too!
          How much ERCOT err us, spent for power lines to
          W. Texas? Remember this too? Look at the date too.

By Alan Caruba You may have seen the television commercials with T. Boone Pickens, a multi-millionaire who made his money in oil and is now ...

Comment

• That nuclear do look good though....

Comment

• Originally posted by jw33 View Post
              That nuclear do look good though....

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                For future reference, should you feel less like sharing in the future. https://www.google.com/search?q=bypa...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                  What this chart tells me is that solar and wind are a bunch of unreliable shit that went away five days before Natural Gas did. Thoughts?
                  Wind fell, but i think that was expected, hence the ramp-up on the NG curve starting Feb 8. I think it's more fair to say that wind is not steady and definitely not capable of baseload, but they can (at least somewhat accurately) predict changes in time to make up the difference - same for solar. I think wind was in no worse shape than anything else, then all of it shit bed on the 15th.

I think the bigger problem is hubris.

Here's the actual Winter 2020-2021 SARA (seasonal assessment of resource adequacy): http://www.ercot.com/content/wcm/lis...2020-2021.xlsx

The winter SARA includes a unit outage forecast of 8,616 MW during the winter months, which is based on historical winter outage data compiled since 2017.

Latest from ERCOT today:
                  While there is no additional load shed occurring at this time, a little over 40,000 MW of generation remains on forced outage due to this winter weather event. Of that, 23,500 MW is thermal generation and the rest is wind and solar.
                  That's a big fucking miss. If only they had historical data...
                  This year's power forecast was based on 3-4 years of data, but just 10 years ago we lost nearly 30,000 MW of generation during the Feb 2011 storm. No need to worry about that though, right? I mean... it was 10 whole years ago, and ERCOT is smart, sooooo...

This is for 2011

Here's a 357 page report on that shitshow: https://www.ferc.gov/sites/default/f...-11-report.pdf

They planned for a certain peak demand but never imagined there could be another supply break.

I'm a proud Texan and I'm most certainly not an advocate for a shitload of government intervention, but when keeping something that our entire society relies on - from now until forever - up and running, to pretend that something just 10 years ago won't happen again is insane.
                  Last edited by Strychnine; 02-18-2021, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• keeping with the Simpsons theme:

Last edited by Strychnine; 02-18-2021, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• And for anyone keeping score at home, we're currently importing power from the Eastern Interconnect DC ties in Oklaunion and Monticello.

Last edited by Strychnine; 02-18-2021, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• They need to crank up Comanche Peak!

Comment

• Ted Cruz sure did screw up though! His dumb ass should have took a private jet to warm and sunny Cancun Mexico

Comment

• Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                            They need to crank up Comanche Peak!
                            #3 and #4 (3400Mw total) were planned in 2008.

and STP scrapped their plans for a #3 #4 because moneys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                              Why do I hear Homer scream everytime I see that?

Comment

• Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                                That nuclear do look good though....
                                A part of the Enron fall out was that instead of doubling up on the reactors in Glen Rose and South TX we built windmills in West TX and T. Boone Pickens pocketed a touch over a billion dollars from that project.
                                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Working...
                                X